Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Columbia Southern University and StraighterLine - Saving on my degree
I’m currently enrolled with Columbia Southern University for an AS in Occupational Safety and Health. My online options for this degree are limited, and I’m not particularly pleased with the cost and customer service from CSU. Also, as a result of the pandemic my high school still has not sent my transcript so I’m in a provisional enrollment status and only able to take 12 credits. I’ve completed 6, but my state recently announced that schools will remain closed through the end of the year, so I’m not sure when my high school will send my transcript. When I call, there is no answer at the school. 
I started taking a StraighterLine course, and spoke with my academic advisor at CSU today to confirm that the course will transfer. She basically scolded me for taking any classes outside of CSU. I also discussed making some changes to my degree advisement plan as many of the lower level electives have absolutely nothing to do with my degree (such as criminal justice and hospitality courses) to which she said that isn’t a complete list but those are the most commonly taken electives and I can choose different electives. She told me where I can access a complete list of electives and explained which class numbers I could take, and advised that I look through that list. Less than 5 minutes after ending the call she emailed me an “updated” advisement plan which was identical to the one I had received when I enrolled, and wrote me a lengthy email about taking the classes that are advised. I was able to confirm that I can transfer up to 45 credits for my degree, so my plan is to continue to take the major requirements for my degree through CSU, while also taking general requirements and electives through StraighterLine while I wait for my high transcript to be received.  Does anyone have any experience with transferring StraighterLine credits, or experience with CSU? I’m seriously tempted to find a different school, but CSU seems to be the cheapest.
(04-22-2020, 02:38 PM)Bpreli Wrote: I’m currently enrolled with Columbia Southern University for an AS in Occupational Safety and Health. My online options for this degree are limited, and I’m not particularly pleased with the cost and customer service from CSU. Also, as a result of the pandemic my high school still has not sent my transcript so I’m in a provisional enrollment status and only able to take 12 credits. I’ve completed 6, but my state recently announced that schools will remain closed through the end of the year, so I’m not sure when my high school will send my transcript. When I call, there is no answer at the school. 
I started taking a StraighterLine course, and spoke with my academic advisor at CSU today to confirm that the course will transfer. She basically scolded me for taking any classes outside of CSU. I also discussed making some changes to my degree advisement plan as many of the lower level electives have absolutely nothing to do with my degree (such as criminal justice and hospitality courses) to which she said that isn’t a complete list but those are the most commonly taken electives and I can choose different electives. She told me where I can access a complete list of electives and explained which class numbers I could take, and advised that I look through that list. Less than 5 minutes after ending the call she emailed me an “updated” advisement plan which was identical to the one I had received when I enrolled, and wrote me a lengthy email about taking the classes that are advised. I was able to confirm that I can transfer up to 45 credits for my degree, so my plan is to continue to take the major requirements for my degree through CSU, while also taking general requirements and electives through StraighterLine while I wait for my high transcript to be received.  Does anyone have any experience with transferring StraighterLine credits, or experience with CSU? I’m seriously tempted to find a different school, but CSU seems to be the cheapest.

So first, just be advised that CSU is not RA (regionally accredited), it's NA (nationally accredited, which is not great).  You probably won't be able to transfer any credits you get there to a RA school later if you want - you'd have to find a school that would take them.  It's just very limiting.

But if you don't care, that's ok.  One thing to keep in mind is that your advisor's goal is to have you take as many courses at their school as possible.  They won't help you find alternative credits to bring in.  I'd stick with not discussing that subject with her at all.  This happens at a lot of schools by the way.  All the time.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
CSU is very generous with ACE credit. They allowed elementary math from Aleks to satisfy the math requirement a few years back.

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
What is your end goal with the AS OSH at CSU? Are you planning to get a Bachelors degree? Do you have a budget or have tuition assistance/reimbursement? There are a few things you can do, transfer your NA credits when you're done to RA universities that accept NA credits such as Excelsior/WGU, etc, and Waldorf University - a subsidiary of CSU. You can check out the other Competency-Based degree providers from APU, Capella, Purdue Global, Walden, and see which program yours can ladder into when you're done. If NA isn't an issue for you, other schools in the NA arena can do as well, but I usually recommend getting the BA or higher at a RA university instead if it's within your budget.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-22-2020, 04:05 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: What is your end goal with the AS OSH at CSU?  Are you planning to get a Bachelors degree?  Do you have a budget or have tuition assistance/reimbursement?  There are a few things you can do, transfer your NA credits when you're done to RA universities that accept NA credits such as Excelsior/WGU, etc, and Waldorf University - a subsidiary of CSU.  You can check out the other Competency-Based degree providers from APU, Capella, Purdue Global, Walden, and see which program yours can ladder into when you're done.  If NA isn't an issue for you, other schools in the NA arena can do as well, but I usually recommend getting the BA or higher at a RA university instead if it's within your budget.
CSU is basically the cheapest school recognized by ASP, and the bachelors qualified for the GSP credential. I am interested in my bachelors, but I am paying out of pocket for my classes so my goal is to save money while getting my degree.

(04-22-2020, 04:05 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: What is your end goal with the AS OSH at CSU?  Are you planning to get a Bachelors degree?  Do you have a budget or have tuition assistance/reimbursement?  There are a few things you can do, transfer your NA credits when you're done to RA universities that accept NA credits such as Excelsior/WGU, etc, and Waldorf University - a subsidiary of CSU.  You can check out the other Competency-Based degree providers from APU, Capella, Purdue Global, Walden, and see which program yours can ladder into when you're done.  If NA isn't an issue for you, other schools in the NA arena can do as well, but I usually recommend getting the BA or higher at a RA university instead if it's within your budget.
I also want to add that for my job the AS is sufficient, so that’s where I began. However I do intend to pursue my bachelors. Honestly, a degree isn’t even completely necessary for my job, but it will take me longer to advance so I’m going ahead with getting my degree. I don’t exactly have a budget as I’m just paying for it as I take classes, but obviously I want to obtain my degree as cheaply as possible.
Your best bet is to transfer as many alternative credits they accept such as CLEP, ACE/NCCRS or whatever.  
I do recall they accept up to 90 credits for the B and 45 for the A...

Yeah, I see, I looked at them for the Business Doctorate before.  
I saw their OSH web page blog before: https://www.columbiasouthern.edu/blog/oc...-bs-as-qap
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
If your ultimate goal includes a bachelor's degree, you might want to consider a different college. Nationally Accredited school credits are much more limited into which schools they will transfer into. If they don't transfer into whichever school you end up getting a bachelor's from, you may find that you'll have to repeat a lot of general ed courses you already took. Something to be aware of.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 4 394 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 100 03-27-2024, 07:53 AM
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,748 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 262 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 666 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 414 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 581 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM
  Study.com - Best Time/Cost Saving Strategy? kylan11 13 1,314 10-18-2023, 08:09 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Thomas Edison State University Transferring EdwardLong 13 1,750 09-29-2023, 12:50 AM
Last Post: rachel83az