Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming soon: a new look for Sophia
(04-29-2021, 11:41 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Some of those courses can be taken at InstantCertCredit or StraighterLine/Study.com...
Basically, I'm more looking for courses that can't be had for cheap...
I agree for the most part. BUt, apply this logic to the sponsors of this forum of InstantCertCredit, why did they add other courses that's already available at Straighterline, Study.com, or Sophia?

Sophia's winning point is their super cheap cost. InstantCert's is too. I don't think Sophia will ever have any upper levels until they have live camera proctors unfortunately. But, at the very least, I think other courses to finish off GECs would be nice, as sophia's original target market was to tackle GEC
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • ss20ts
They need ULs more than anything
BABA, New England College, 2019
[-] The following 1 user Likes harrypotter's post:
  • ms_butterfly
UL classes would be nice but I don't think we're going to see that at Sophia.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-30-2021, 10:31 AM)harrypotter Wrote: They need ULs more than anything

Doesn't matter what Sophia or ACE recommend for UL vs LL. It's up to the individual schools on how they accept the credits. Principles of Marketing on InstantCert transfer to UMPI as a UL because marketing is a UL course at UMPI. Same with several business courses on Study.com. They come in as UL at UMPI because they are UL courses at UMPI. Business Law on Sophia comes in as UL at UMPI because again it's a UL course at UMPI. Every school is different.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Pikachu
I have some more Straighterline classes in my degree plan.   I'd love if they came out with some of those solely because I'd prefer to take Sophia to SL any day.   

And yes, I know it would be even better if they had some options not available easily anywhere else, but I'm being a bit selfish today.   Tongue
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
Just saw this notification:

Quote:The Sophia site will be unavailable from 2am to 3am Central Time on Wednesday May 5 due to site maintenance.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Here are some screenshots from Sophia's new look: https://nickpic.host/album/sophia-new-look.AN9E2

It's a big refresh, but, it's still the same core/experience we all know and love. Sophia did double down on the "knocking out gen eds" this I feel is a sign they won't consider Upper Levels and are sticking with the first "two years" college level classes, still it's a great deal.

Also they have DAEC accreditation now? Niicccee.
That Pac Man has a dislocated jaw.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eriehiker's post:
  • dack
(05-05-2021, 05:05 AM)ashkir Wrote: Here are some screenshots from Sophia's new look: https://nickpic.host/album/sophia-new-look.AN9E2

It's a big refresh, but, it's still the same core/experience we all know and love. Sophia did double down on the "knocking out gen eds" this I feel is a sign they won't consider Upper Levels and are sticking with the first "two years" college level classes, still it's a great deal.

Also they have DAEC accreditation now? Niicccee.

Nope, Sophia isn't DEAC accredited. This is yet another case of something that looks like an accreditation at first glance but actually isn't. Back in 2018, DEAC started its Approved Quality Curriculum (AQC) program, which evaluates nontraditional online learning providers. Sophia has been approved since 2019, while SDC and TEFL joined in 2018.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
Not 100% sure how I feel about the site redesign. I guess the public-facing side should be better at attracting students but I do kind of wish that they'd done something more substantial with the dashboard. Possibly separate it into 3 pages: in-progress, completed, not taken. Or even just completed on one page and the rest on another. Maybe next time!
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • busybee45

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,207 Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 276 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,789 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,862 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,391 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 399 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 603 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,958 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP