Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coming soon: a new look for Sophia
(05-05-2021, 09:17 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Not 100% sure how I feel about the site redesign. I guess the public-facing side should be better at attracting students but I do kind of wish that they'd done something more substantial with the dashboard. Possibly separate it into 3 pages: in-progress, completed, not taken. Or even just completed on one page and the rest on another. Maybe next time!

Hi Rachel. I have been working on the Sophia UX since we launched our first college course (College Algebra, 2012), and this is the first time we've ever heard this suggestion. Perhaps you can send a screenshot of your "homebase" (as we call it), so I can see what you're referring to, and also describe the problems you're experiencing with it. Thanks. dack.ragus@sophia.org

P.S. I think this is the first time I've posted here, but rest assured we read and value this forum's feedback. If anyone else has any UX feedback please drop me a note or add a post. Thanks.
[-] The following 7 users Like dack's post:
  • jamshid666, jch, Muldoon, NC Coach, Pikachu, rachel83az, TwinMom
Nice, it's great to have course providers drop in from time to time... I wonder if the pricing change from before was modified to the current pricing model because of feedback from this board and the sister board... interesting indeed!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hope it will be getting only better from now on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cofffeee's post:
  • rachel83az
(05-05-2021, 02:38 PM)dack Wrote: Hi Rachel. I have been working on the Sophia UX since we launched our first college course (College Algebra, 2012), and this is the first time we've ever heard this suggestion. Perhaps you can send a screenshot of your "homebase" (as we call it), so I can see what you're referring to, and also describe the problems you're experiencing with it. Thanks. dack.ragus@sophia.org

P.S. I think this is the first time I've posted here, but rest assured we read and value this forum's feedback. If anyone else has any UX feedback please drop me a note or add a post. Thanks.

I sent you an email (hopefully it doesn't go to spam!) but this is the kind of thing I was talking about: http://samplesitesuggestion.42web.io/home.html
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 8 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • ashkir, busybee45, dack, jch, Murdockb, NC Coach, StoicJ, TINASAM
(05-05-2021, 04:56 PM)rachel83az Wrote: I sent you an email (hopefully it doesn't go to spam!) but this is the kind of thing I was talking about: http://samplesitesuggestion.42web.io/home.html

I think that looks good and is a great idea.   The courses all get jumbled up after a while, especially once you've taken several but they still appear in the list of all available courses.    I just want to see what I've taken in one place, and what is available that I've not taken as a separate list.   Streamline that view and that would be a great user experience change.
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
[-] The following 4 users Like NC Coach's post:
  • jch, rachel83az, TwinMom, Vle045
(05-05-2021, 04:56 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 02:38 PM)dack Wrote: Hi Rachel. I have been working on the Sophia UX since we launched our first college course (College Algebra, 2012), and this is the first time we've ever heard this suggestion. Perhaps you can send a screenshot of your "homebase" (as we call it), so I can see what you're referring to, and also describe the problems you're experiencing with it. Thanks. dack.ragus@sophia.org

I sent you an email (hopefully it doesn't go to spam!) but this is the kind of thing I was talking about: http://samplesitesuggestion.42web.io/home.html

That's a nice layout.  Another option would be to list them on the same page, but in separate sections: throw everything completed in a "Completed" section at the bottom, then "current courses" at the top, and "available" in the center.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TINASAM
(05-05-2021, 04:56 PM)rachel83az Wrote:

Hi Rachel. Thanks for sharing your idea and the screenshot you sent me (everyone else can see it here: https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-JmSDN...-05-11.png)

My main suggestion: Please review more of your completed courses.

That was a joke. 

Seriously, the vast majority of our customers are not as good as you -- i.e. they don't take nearly as many courses -- so I'm not sure splitting this page up into 3 pages makes sense. But it definitely does make sense to hide most of your completed/inactive courses. 

Thanks again for the feedback.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dack's post:
  • NC Coach
I totally get that most students don't complete nearly as many courses. But I also think it starts to get a tad bit unwieldy long before it gets to the point where I'm at now, haha. Even just 2 pages would be fine, IMO.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • ms_butterfly, StoicJ
(05-11-2021, 02:05 PM)dack Wrote: Seriously, the vast majority of our customers are not as good as you -- i.e. they don't take nearly as many courses -- so I'm not sure splitting this page up into 3 pages makes sense. But it definitely does make sense to hide most of your completed/inactive courses. 

Thanks again for the feedback.

Completely agree that hiding the completed courses from the main course list and only having them show up in a completed list so that you have two lists (one for completed courses, and one for available/never taken courses) is ideal.   And of course your active courses remain at the top, if possible.    You should not have to scroll through a ton of courses you've already taken to see what's still available. 

It's great that you're here and listening to feedback, Dack.   Many thanks!
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
I definitely agree that the dashboard needs to be broken up into at least two "tabs" inside the page itself. In Progress and Completed. Coursera has just this kind of setup and it makes it super easy to look through a lot of courses as one. Actual separate pages isn't necessary. For any student planning on taking lots of courses at Sophia over a long period of time, this separation becomes a necessity pretty quickly otherwise the page becomes unwieldy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 101 52,190 11 hours ago
Last Post: awildstudentappeared
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 7 371 03-23-2024, 03:16 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 276 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 7 6,788 03-16-2024, 06:45 PM
  How to get ACE credits such as Sophia on official college transcript Student3452 18 4,861 03-08-2024, 01:34 AM
Last Post: Gumbeaux
Information New Sophia Courses: College Math and Chemistry MNomadic 67 10,389 03-07-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Westslope Cutthroat
  FREE Voucher for Microsoft AI Skills Challenge coming soon - potential ACE credits BritStudent 7 399 03-07-2024, 12:35 PM
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 3 601 03-01-2024, 09:13 PM
  Sophia - Managerial Accounting and Lifespan chentastic 36 3,958 02-28-2024, 09:41 AM
Last Post: vaticidalprophet
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 9 560 02-17-2024, 01:56 AM
Last Post: LevelUP