Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sophia Public Speaking
(09-09-2020, 10:31 AM)LongRoad Wrote: I think it was the connection. Sloooooow. When I finally got it uploaded, it was graded within a couple of days. The professor was thorough in his/her comments and they did not seem generic.

Good or bad? I got a good grade on it. How in the world am I going to be able to improve for the next Touchstone? Oh, well.

Increase eye contact with the audience (camera).  I moved the camera to a spot where it was at eye-level, and I used a Teleprompter (scrolling) app on a tablet, also at eye level.

Vary your tone and other aspects of your speech a bit.

Change a few phrases to more verbose, collegiate-sounding ones.

Print out a visual aid and point to it.
I recently finished Sophia Public Speaking and all my touchstones were graded within a few days.

A couple tips for the actual speech component that I used but didn't see others mention:

- For a visual aid I created a VERY simple powerpoint. It basically had an intro slide, 3 slides with my 3 arguments(one each), a conclusion slide, a references slide, and a "Questions?" slide. One slide(my logos slide) had a basic graph I created from the data in one of my references, the others just used generic stock photos to elicit the the ethos or pathos response I was aiming for. Clicking through the slides helped me transition to each specific portion of my speech and then move on.
- I picked a subject I was very knowledgeable on so I didn't really write a speech, just made the powerpoint, wrote the bullet points I wanted to hit in a notebook to reference and improvise my way through the whole speech.
-I did do a few timed dry runs to see if I could intelligently talk on the subject for the allotted time.
- At the end I had a "questions?" slide where I asked my audience if they had any questions and my girlfriend asked a question. It actually worked out really well because I had forgotten to have a "call to action" in my actual speech but her scripted question and my response fulfilled that purpose.
-I filmed both my speeches back to back but switched in to nicer clothes and spoke more fluidly after my first speech.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • BitWiseGuy
'Sophia - Public Speaking' vs 'study.com - Principles of Public Speaking' ?
Which one is better? they're the only two public speaking courses available.
Do you guys think study.com's Principles of Public Speaking is easier?
[-] The following 1 user Likes nomaduser's post:
  • cwendy111
(09-16-2020, 02:13 PM)nomaduser Wrote: 'Sophia - Public Speaking' vs 'study.com - Principles of Public Speaking' ?
Which one is better? they're the only two public speaking courses available.
Do you guys think study.com's Principles of Public Speaking is easier?

If you want easy and you're transferring to TESU, you absolutely want Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace from SDC. Sophia is cheaper (obviously). If you're not transferring to TESU, I have no idea.
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • nomaduser, rpmranger
Thanks for the advice folks. I thought I'd done my work for the final chapter and just had the speech. Nope. Still a bit more work (and testing) to do before the final speech.
While I have not taken other Public Speaking courses, I think that Sophia's is good. I'm not thrilled with some of the questions. While I think they are attempting to see how well you understand the material -as opposed to how well you can search a PDF - I think that the many questions are too oblique.

Now, for the speeches. That's where it shines. Two speeches are required, and now that the free course rush is over, my speeches have been graded in two days. Don't worry about your topic, just find something about it that you can make sound urgent. Like gardening? Tell how to plan tulip bulbs and STRESS how they have to be planted NOW (the fall). Like changing your car's oil? Describe how it affects your car and you have to change it REGULARLY. They're not looking for a deep speech on quantum physics (unless that's your thing), so don't stress about the topic, stress something about it that is urgent. You do not have to work hard on a visual aid. Using a BIG font, type something on a piece of paper.

I'm not part of the selfie group, but doing this was like talking to myself in the mirror (which is how I practiced). Don't worry about your audience, 'cause it's YOU.
[-] The following 4 users Like LongRoad's post:
  • BitWiseGuy, cwendy111, degree206, rachel83az
(07-22-2020, 11:35 AM)monchevy Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 10:20 AM)P226mem Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 09:45 AM)monchevy Wrote:
(07-22-2020, 08:29 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I agree; the reason why the parts were considered irrelevant was probably because you chose family members as your audience. It probably would've been better if you'd said something like "teachers" or "high school students" or something like that. Unless the Sophia text says otherwise, I'm not sure that family members qualify as an audience when writing a speech for public speaking.

One of the options they gave was a speech celebrating someone's graduation. So the audience was family.

In my community college class, we were allowed also to have family/friends as audience for one of the speeches.  I would have described audience as in terms of "demographics" (members of same family, age range) and "situational analysis" (voluntary attendance, genuine interest in celebrating the graduate).   That kind of stuff that you'd find in lessons and articles like this: https://saylordotorg.github.io/text_stan...lysis.html

I hate this class with the fire of a thousand suns.

You have probably gone on to become an outstanding public speaker by now, but this thread is cracking me up!!  Big Grin I'm looking for feedback for my son, who used to be this energetic outgoing actor as a child, but now mostly just mumbles about with his head down. I don't know if Study's Comms 120 is going to fly at his CC, so I'm planning a backup at with either Sophia or Study. Likely Sophia since we are still active there. I'm gong to read on hoping to hear you passed with flying colors!!!
WGU MBA-Healthcare Management 9/2021
Started 6/2/2021. Finished 8/30/21

WGU MSN-Nursing Informatics 1/2021
Started 8/14/20. Finished 12/28/2020

WGU RN-BSN 8/2020
Started 6/1/20  Finished 7/24/2020
Transferred in Sophia Stats, ICC American Government, SDC Interpersonal Communications, AAS Nursing

Credits Taken
SDC - Interpersonal Communications, Presentation Skills in the Workplace, Intro to Operating Systems, Intro to Programming, Systems Analysis & Design, Database Management - (100% modules, Incomplete Projects)
ICC - American Government
SL - Personal Finance 
TECEP - Medical Terminology
The Institutes - Ethics and the CPCU Code of Professional Conduct 
TEEX - Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law/White Collar Crime
Sophia - Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict, Intro to IT, Intro to Statistics, Visual Communications, Human Biology, Project Management
CSM Learn- The CSM Course
DSST - Drugs and Society 436, Here's To Your Health 450, Computing and IT 461
AAS Nursing
Funny you should reply to this old thread. I recently completed this course, and I found the tips on this thread to be very helpful. Thank you all!
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
Another public speech option that is new would be the ASU EA course. It's obviously more expensive but being RA may be more useful for your purposes depending on where you plan to go to school at. Also, the ASU course might provide better interaction and feedback, though that is just a guess.

https://ea.asu.edu/courses/public-speaking-com-225/
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 312 Yesterday, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 5 763 04-17-2024, 03:24 PM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 116 60,225 04-17-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: LaurLoey
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,291 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 11 304 04-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 640 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 896 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 212 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 877 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Transfer situation of Sophia Labs Kab 6 347 04-06-2024, 01:44 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle