Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comparing costs of 2 TESU degrees
Hey guys!

Are my rough calculations on target? I live in NJ and am currently enrolled in the 2019A catalog.

I understand that I must pay for these 2 courses:

Cornerstone SOS-110 = 3 credits = $1,125

Lib Arts Capstone = 3 credits = $1,125

(Study.com discount) $375 x 6 = $2,250

If I went with Liberal Arts degree, must tack on Residency waiver = $2,200

For Liberal Arts degree, TESU fees (not including grad fee, etc) = $4,450

If I went with BA in Communications degree, tack on tuition, $375 x 16 = $6,000

The residency waiver is canceled out by the taking at least 16 credits.

Cornerstone SOS-110 = 3 credits
Lib Arts Capstone = 3 credits
(can't get through alt credit) COM-120: Mass communications 1 = 3 credits
(can't get through alt credit) COM-121: Mass commmunications 2 = 3 credits
(can't get through alt credit) COM-100: Communication theory = 3 credits

For Communications degree, TESU fees (not including grad fee, etc) = $6,000

Does that sound right?

More or less a difference of $1550 and more time since those additional classes are 12 weeks long, but I should be able to take cornerstone, mass comm I, and comm theory at the same time?

Thanks!

Danielle
BALS (Social Sciences) + ASNSM in CS - Sept 2022 TESU graduate
I'm not sure, but I think you can take four TECEPs, which along with the Capstone and Cornerstone will allow to not pay the residency waiver for the BALS.
(03-23-2019, 07:47 AM)CarpeDiem8 Wrote: Hey guys!

Are my rough calculations on target? I live in NJ and am currently enrolled in the 2019A catalog.

I understand that I must pay for these 2 courses:

Cornerstone SOS-110 = 3 credits = $1,188

Lib Arts Capstone = 3 credits = $1,188

If I went with Liberal Arts degree, must tack on Residency waiver = $2,220

For Liberal Arts degree = $4,576 

If I went with BA in Communications degree, tack on Comprehensive Tuition Plan, $396 x 16 = $6,336

The residency waiver is canceled out by the tuition plan.

Cornerstone SOS-110 = 3 credits
Lib Arts Capstone = 3 credits
(can't get through alt credit) COM-120: Mass communications 1 = 3 credits
(can't get through alt credit) COM-121: Mass commmunications 2 = 3 credits
(can't get through alt credit) COM-610: Communication theory = 3 credits

For Communications degree = $6,336

Does that sound right?

It looks more or less a difference of $1760 and more time since those additional classes are 12 weeks long, but I should be able to take cornerstone, mass comm I, and comm theory at the same time?

Thanks!

Danielle
Isn't it 15 credits, not 16? I think I'm missing something unless you plan on taking one credit in anything to avoid the residency fee. Also, you listed the per credit price, not the comprehensive tuition plan.

https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/comprehensive-tuition-plan

If you have Study.com credits to transfer, you can get a discount on both plans. The comprehensive plan with study.com discount for NJ residents is somewhere on this forum, I think, but I couldn't find it.

I'm shocked that a 600-level class is being required for a bachelor's degree and don't think I've ever seen that. I have a master's degree in communications and it's pretty useless. I had reasons for getting it at the time, but things didn't pan out.

Are you going to get a master's degree? If so, a bachelor's degree in any liberal arts will suffice. I mention that just in case.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(03-23-2019, 09:16 AM)udi Wrote: https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/comprehensive-tuition-plan

If you have Study.com credits to transfer, you can get a discount on both plans. The comprehensive plan with study.com discount for NJ residents is somewhere on this forum, I think, but I couldn't find it.

I'm shocked that a 600-level class is being required for a bachelor's degree and don't think I've ever seen that. I have a master's degree in communications and it's pretty useless. I had reasons for getting it at the time, but things didn't pan out.

Are you going to get a master's degree? If so, a bachelor's degree in any liberal arts will suffice. I mention that just in case.

Hey udi! Thanks for your help!

I was going by this: https://www.tesu.edu/tuition/per-credit

"Residency Requirement

Students who select the Per Credit Tuition Plan (excluding those who enroll under a military plan) with the intention of earning an associates or bachelor’s degree from Thomas Edison State University must complete 16 credits via Thomas Edison State University Online (OL), Guided Study (GS) or e-Pack (EP) courses. This requirement may be waived by paying the Residency Waiver fee."

So you're right, it's not the comprehensive plan, it's the per credit.

Sorry I got the words mixed up.

And, you're right, the Study.com discount is here: https://www.tesu.edu/studycom/costs-tuition. so $375 vs. $396 per credit.

Also, sorry for the misunderstanding on the Communication theory course name. I searched on the TESU website for it and that is what came up and I wasn't thinking, my bad. COM-100. I will edit my original post, thanks!

Danielle
Oh, okay. That makes sense. If you really want the communications degree, it might make sense to take those three courses locally, if you can.

Also, if you decide to go with the liberal arts degree, COSC may actually be cheaper. I actually think Exelsior might even be cheaper now because you can transfer in 117 credits still.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
Yeah, COSC doesn't thrill me with their degrees, I would need higher level math, and since I live in NJ it would be cool to attend graduation. I also have a cert from Rutgers U, so I like keeping things local on my resume. So I've been stuck on TESU for a couple of years now. 

If my calculations are correct, then an extra 1500 doesn't seem like a huge dealbreaker to me (when the whole BA is a steal anyway).

A BA in Communications just may "sound" better than a BA in Liberal Arts to my present employer who has a heavy emphasis on their employees having a degree (most have BA in English, Sociology, Comm, etc).

Danielle Smile
Sorry to derail, but what kind of reputation does TESU have within NJ? is it relatively unknown? Is it looked down on as an "online" school? or is it just another school? In general, do people think about it all that much?
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(03-23-2019, 10:00 AM)jsd Wrote: Sorry to derail, but what kind of reputation does TESU have within NJ? is it relatively unknown? Is it looked down on as an "online" school? or is it just another school? In general, do people think about it all that much?

I think people in New Jersey have heard of it and understand it to be an "adult" school, speaking as a Gen X NJ resident. I don't think many people are aware that it is necessarily online, though. It doesn't have the same connotation as U of Phoenix or Strayer, for example, is what I've gathered.

HTH!
Thank you!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(03-23-2019, 08:57 AM)jbwyo Wrote: I'm not sure, but I think you can take four TECEPs, which along with the Capstone and Cornerstone will allow to not pay the residency waiver for the BALS.

TECEPs don't count towards residency, unless you're on the military plan. They did once upon a time, but not for a few years now.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • suzycupcake

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 695 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,974 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 258 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 266 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,156 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch