Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Completed 12 Straighterline Courses in 30 days!
Can someone please explain to me what Straighterline is? Thanks
MLS1979 Wrote:Can someone please explain to me what Straighterline is? Thanks

A private business which has agreements with 30 or so schools to transfer lower level courses for college credit. SL itself isn't a regionally or nationally accredited school, these courses only work at schools that are partners with SL or which accept ACE credits. Of course even in the latter case not all schools will accept SL's courses so you have to clear it with your own college beforehand. However, given their new policy I'd recommend looking into using something else. If you're still interested you can go to straighterline.com for more.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
I noticed that I have to have my Straighterline course proctored or it won't be accepted by TESC. I just read it on TESC's website last night. I didn't notice it before so I'm not sure if this is a recent change in connection with SL's announcement of upcoming courses needing to be proctored for the final exams. Anyway it sucks because I'll be taking my three straighterline courses likely before the change date so I'll have to pay 30 bucks extra in addition to the 39 dollars for the proctor fee. On the upside, they're cheap credits and the tests are super easy. I'm suprised they could even get ACE approval.
walternc3 Wrote:I noticed that I have to have my Straighterline course proctored or it won't be accepted by TESC. I just read it on TESC's website last night.

Can you post a link? I went to the TESC website and I can't find it.

Danielle
a4tunatemom Wrote:Can you post a link? I went to the TESC website and I can't find it.

Danielle
The notification is actually on Straighterline's front page.

This change in policy has sparked some commotion on here and other places. Here's a thread if you want to learn more about it. http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...hange.html
contactmail Wrote:Just finished my last SL course. I finished all 12 in 30 days. It was a lot of work but at $15 a credit that was a steal! If anyone needs any information about a course like the number of questions on a test or difficulty of course let me know and I will be happy to help.

Wow quite an accomplishment!!! I am looking to do SL too. I took the English compII which was very timely with many essays. What other courses would you suggest as easy just exam courses? I need a total of 9 biology and math credits and then about another 8 credits. Thank you very much
Not all the tests are easy. Try Anatomy and Physiology. Maybe for someone who lives and breaths that stuff it would be easy but not for me.
Also, the accounting courses were somewhat challenging but at an appropriate level.

walternc3 Wrote:I noticed that I have to have my Straighterline course proctored or it won't be accepted by TESC. I just read it on TESC's website last night. I didn't notice it before so I'm not sure if this is a recent change in connection with SL's announcement of upcoming courses needing to be proctored for the final exams. Anyway it sucks because I'll be taking my three straighterline courses likely before the change date so I'll have to pay 30 bucks extra in addition to the 39 dollars for the proctor fee. On the upside, they're cheap credits and the tests are super easy. I'm suprised they could even get ACE approval.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
contactmail Wrote:Just finished my last SL course. I finished all 12 in 30 days. It was a lot of work but at $15 a credit that was a steal! If anyone needs any information about a course like the number of questions on a test or difficulty of course let me know and I will be happy to help.

I am working on my first SL course. Could you tell me how you study before each quiz? I have watched topic and read chapter twice. You are getting through it much faster than I am. Also, what is best way to study for midterm?? That is what I have next.
I find that the topics on the straighterline site are really just an overview and the majority of the information you need is in the textbook. All the tests I've taken via Straighterline so far are open book - make sure you know your textbook, particularly where the glossary of terms are - a lot of questions can be answered just by using the glossary.
ManxMouse Wrote:I am working on my first SL course. Could you tell me how you study before each quiz? I have watched topic and read chapter twice. You are getting through it much faster than I am. Also, what is best way to study for midterm?? That is what I have next.

I just completed Managerial accounting and US History 1 at Straighter-line in 4 days. My advice would be to get the Ebook of the required text unless you are really good at noting your text and knowing where to look it up. With the ebook, you can almost just search the question and find the answer. even during a proctored exam it allows you to use the ebook search function.

personally, I used those little 3m tabs in my texts to note specific topics or formulas for my accounting course. That worked perfect when i needed to find variable overhead variance for some question etc..
You can also watch each lesson in the chapters , but that takes about an hour per chapter.
When you take a test, select view all answers on 1 page and print it out. Use the 2 intermediate tests to study up for the midterm. Those questions may appear in the midterm exactly or as some variant. ( if you didn't print it out initially, you cant go back and print it. you only have 2 minutes to review a test)

good luck, and have faith in yourself.

Greg
[B]University of North Carolina- Kenan-Flagler Business School- MBA 2017 [B]
Villanova University - Master Certificate in Government Contract Management (ApriL 2014)
TESC BSBA- Gen Mgmt (December 2013), Arnold Fletcher Award
TESC ASBA- Business Admin ( December 2013)
NCMA - CFCM (Certified Federal Contract Manager)
Completed Units Via 24 traditional, 39 Clep, 24 DSST, 12 Aleks, 3 FEMA, 12 Straighterline, 3 Penn Foster, 3 TESC

Feel free to connect with me on LinkedIn http://www.linkedin.com/pub/greg-morrissey/49/442/407/
Sr. Mgr Government Contracts
Contract Compliance
US Pharmaceuticals
McKesson Corp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,392 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,058 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,053 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,709 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,220 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,712 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,494 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  TESU BSBA completed- a few tips thornoak 3 1,370 06-18-2018, 11:28 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TEEX Courses at TESU BSLIONS 25 6,684 06-11-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: maplefu
  Excelsior Ethics courses radconjohn 10 2,985 06-01-2018, 12:28 AM
Last Post: dfrecore