Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Completing a Mathematics degree.
Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well.

TESC has finished their evaluation of my transfer credits and I am happy to say they were able to use every class I have had.

The problem is that I still need a handfull of upper level Math classes to finish my degree. I was hoping to finish the degree online at TESC but when I looked through their courses I didn't see any upper level Math that I had not already had (they may not have had any upper level math at all, I just can't remember).

Where can I get the credits I need online? I should have looked through their courses before! I assumed they had a lot more tests for credit than they have!

I feel like I have to be missing something here. TESC has a Mathematics degree, but anyone who had all of those upper level Math classes already probably wouldn't need to transfer to TESC because they would already have their degree.

Thanks a lot for the advice!
My original post concerning a Math major at Charter Oak State College. You may find it useful.

http://www.instantcertonline.com/forums/...#post29380
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
Thanks for the link.

I just noticed that TESC has a BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics which is pretty attractive to me. I have a some Computer Science credits as well as a few Natural Science credits (along with a bunch of upper level Math).

I had considered the BA in Liberal Studies before just because of how flexible it is, and how easy it would be for me (I would have all of my upper level courses already taken care of). But it is just too general for me.

I didn't see anything like the BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics at Excelsior but maybe I just missed it. I had planned on going TESC but Excelsior would save me some money.

Thanks again.
Hi,

There's another thread with a link to Chadron State College. When it's the full moon I sometimes think I would like to do a math major, and so I keep an eye out for upper-level math classes. They offer the complete major online.

Chadron State College | PROGRAMINFO1

Hope this helps, and good luck!
LSU offers the upper level math courses I believe. Only $241 per course. They are independent study courses. I know University of Illinois offers upper level math courses also. I don't know how much they are.

LSU Independent and Distance Learning
U of I Online: Programs
MBA Data Analytics, Eastern University - In Progress
BS Liberal Arts: Administrative & Management Studies, Excelsior College
Thanks a lot! One of those colleges might be exactly what I need. I'm not sure yet.

I should have given Excelsior a closer look before, it seems they might be more flexible with their Math degree compared to TESC.

This is from the Excelsior website:

Choose A Major
You may demonstrate expertise in a particular subject area. Each of the majors requires a minimum of 30 credits (15 upper-level) in one the following disciplines: (Mathematics is one of them)

I have 32 credits in Mathematics and 21 of them are upper level. So it seems I would be ok here (at Excelsior).

But at TESC, I have to have 18 upper level credits of Math Electives, but Calculus I, II, and III dont count as well as Linear Algebra, and Statistics because they all fill other requirements for those specific classes. Cut those 5 upper level classes out and I only have approximately 8 of the required 18 upper level electives.

I'm only assuming those classes would count towards my 15 upper level credits at Excelsior because I don't know if they would use them to fill other requirements in their core program or not, I haven't been able to access that PDF from the site because it says I have to download an adobe acrobat plugin which is 22 mb and I live in the middle of nowhere on dialup. I have the adobe reader so it would have been nice if I could have just downloaded the PDF which probably would have been pretty small.

Thanks again! There are a lot of things for me to consider about which way I should go!
yankee_racers Wrote:Hello everyone, I hope you are doing well.

TESC has finished their evaluation of my transfer credits and I am happy to say they were able to use every class I have had.

The problem is that I still need a handfull of upper level Math classes to finish my degree. I was hoping to finish the degree online at TESC but when I looked through their courses I didn't see any upper level Math that I had not already had (they may not have had any upper level math at all, I just can't remember).

Where can I get the credits I need online? I should have looked through their courses before! I assumed they had a lot more tests for credit than they have!

I feel like I have to be missing something here. TESC has a Mathematics degree, but anyone who had all of those upper level Math classes already probably wouldn't need to transfer to TESC because they would already have their degree.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

No, your not missing anything. They have several degrees like that- they create the program, and you can bring credit in, but you can't get the credit there. In the big picture, it is an awesome way for someone who has maybe taken a few classes and can't finish a degree without serious residency requirements. Case in point- I spoke to someone online last year who had two transcripts, totaling over 130 credits! But his local schools all wanted 30+ credit residency, so he would have had to earn 160 credits for his bachelor's degree. TESC is a perfect fit for that type of person. You can take all of your courses on the ground (locally) and ship them over. There are a few people who still don't want to do online learning, so that is a good option.

I don't know a lot about math or math levels, but as long as you have the appropriate pre-reqs, you shouldn't have any trouble finding programs that will let you take 2 classes as a non-student. I noticed almost every college will let you have 6 credits, so perhaps that will work for you. Your local university might be a good place to start, and even if they do not advertise online classes, you should ask- because sometimes they keep these under pretty tight wraps.

Can statistics count in your degree? If so, here is an excellent credit source for more statistics courses than you can imagine...my brain hurts just looking at the website :eek: : statistics.com

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,156 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,819 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,622 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,753 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,943 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,939 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero