Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Completing my degree, credits from community college
Hello,

Thank you all who have shared your time and knowledge on this site. Not sure I would finish my degree had I not run into this site, now I am sure. I have a couple quick question I'm hoping someone can advise on.

For context, I've been collecting credits Columbus State Community College for years now. I may be the most impractical student of all time, switching degrees/interests multiple times and wasting time and money. At this point, I just want to get a BA or BS degree ASAP so I can move on to masters. The quickest way to a degree on my current path (based on what I've completed and what I'm currently enrolled in/studying) is Sociology through OSU. My goal is to get into MBA program at Ohio State University eventually, but would settle for lesser schools if I didn't make it.

1. I understand step 1 to learning my options is to submit application and transcripts to TESU and COSD (probably will avoid excelsior due to cost), first question is I'm wondering is there any way to know how classes I'm currently enrolled in/may schedule soon for spring semester will transfer? Columbus state is part of the a The Higher Learning Commission if that helps. This semester I'm taking Pre human history anthropology, social problems sociology, and natural disasters geology. I will need to register next week for spring semester if I'm going to spend any more time at community college but know the evaluations can take 25 days so wondering if anyone has thoughts on this.

2. Will the evaluations include quickest path to degrees, or do I need to tell them my desired degree? If so would anyone be willing to look over my current transcript and share an opinion on options?

Thank you,
Welcome and congratulations getting started on the final step Wink

I'm not helpful with degree planning anymore, however, I can tell you that TESU will take up to 90 community college credits assuming they fit somewhere in your plan. The remaining courses will have to come from other sources, so your best bet is to get that evaluation done. I will offer 1 quick piece of advice, most MBA programs have business prereqs, just check that you're meeting those inside your BA degree requirements. All the best!
You need to post your credits on here to let us help you. Don't just post your transcript, as they can be hard to read, and have lots of extraneous info. Sort by school if there's more than 1. Post the course number, full course name, number of credits, and your grade if less than a C (it makes a difference for some courses). Also, let us know if it's based on semesters or quarters.

And, all schools will ask you to declare a major, and then they stick your courses into the various slots. Some schools may be more helpful than others in terms of guiding you to a degree, but most aren't great at that. So you need to know what degree you want up front.

I can only help with TESU, can't help at all with OSU.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thanks for the quick replies. Below is the requested information + classes I'm currently taking/credits I'm studying for. Will look forward to any thoughts!

Class
Grade
Credits
Dates taken
Semester or quarter

MATH-1150 Precalculus
N
16AUCR
Semester Term

REAL-1011 003 Real Estate Princ & Prac
A
14AUCR
Semester Term

REAL-1012 003 Real Estate Law
B
14AUCR
Semester Term

REAL-1013 003 Real Estate Finance
B
14AUCR
Semester Term

REAL-1014 003 Real Estate Appraisal
A
14AUCR
Semester Term

ENGL-1100 132 Composition I
B
14SPCR
Semester Term

HIST-1152 W03 Amer History Since 1877
B
14SPCR
Semester Term

POLS-1300 W01 International Relations
A
14SPCR
Semester Term

SOC-1101 026 Intro to Sociology
B
13AUCR
Semester Term

LEGL-264 901 Legal Envir Business
A
12WICR
Quarter Term

BMGT-111 902 Management
A
11AUCR
Quarter Term

REAL-270 W03 Real Estate Investing
C
11SPCR
Quarter Term

REAL-275 001 Repair, Restore, Remodel
B
11SPCR
Quarter Term

BMGT-232 001 Entrepreneurship II
A
11WICR
Quarter Term

BMGT-231 001 Entrepreneurship I
B
10AUCR
Quarter Term

BOA-172A W02 Excel Module 1
C
10AUCR
Quarter Term

---------------
Currently in:

Social problems/SOC

Naturaural disasters/GEO

World pre history/ANTH

--------------

Currently studying for:

Spanish CLEP (planning to pass for full credit equal to 3 semesters)

BIO CLEP
Dfrecore I should probably clarify, if I stayed on the OSU route I would continue B&M learning. I'm seeking cheaper and faster options, such as TESU.

Thanks
You see what I mean by being hard to read.

So, a few questions:

1) What is an N grade for Precalc? If that's No Pass or something like that, then obviously you can't include it.

2) Are all of these courses from CC? Just asking because 1 set is semesters and another is quarters. I need to know if any of these are UL courses.

This is going to be a more difficult degree to figure out, just because you have a lot of classes that don't fit into a "normal" degree. But, I'm going to suggest that you look at the BSPS (Professional Studies) with the first section (Specialized Career Track) in Real Estate, and then choose either the Associated Professional Studies courses Section A (Marketing is completely able to be tested out of, HRM would require 2 courses to take and 4 test outs) or the Supportive Professional Studies Courses Section B (there are enough options there to completely test out).

Your other option would be a BALS with the concentration of your choice. Then, your real estate courses will fit into the Free Electives area.

The BSBA, if you're trying to get towards an MBA later, is completely test-out-able, but unfortunately, I don't think, your real estate courses will count in the AOS, so they would basically go unused for any part of the degree. Which is unfortunate.

You may also want to look at COSC's BSBA or their General Studies BA which may let you bring those in.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I probably cannot help much, but I am a former CSCC grad and took classes from OSU and Franklin. Things like English, history, etc should be easy to figure out how they transfer, but I do not think there is a 100% way to predict how everything will transfer. I applied to TESU and COSC and I asked both to look and see if there was a major that more credit would apply to. Of course you might have more of the requirements for a certain major fulfilled but the rest might be difficult to fill with cheap options.
dfrecore Wrote:You see what I mean by being hard to read.

So, a few questions:

1) What is an N grade for Precalc? If that's No Pass or something like that, then obviously you can't include it.

2) Are all of these courses from CC? Just asking because 1 set is semesters and another is quarters. I need to know if any of these are UL courses.

This is going to be a more difficult degree to figure out, just because you have a lot of classes that don't fit into a "normal" degree. But, I'm going to suggest that you look at the BSPS (Professional Studies) with the first section (Specialized Career Track) in Real Estate, and then choose either the Associated Professional Studies courses Section A (Marketing is completely able to be tested out of, HRM would require 2 courses to take and 4 test outs) or the Supportive Professional Studies Courses Section B (there are enough options there to completely test out).

Your other option would be a BALS with the concentration of your choice. Then, your real estate courses will fit into the Free Electives area.

The BSBA, if you're trying to get towards an MBA later, is completely test-out-able, but unfortunately, I don't think, your real estate courses will count in the AOS, so they would basically go unused for any part of the degree. Which is unfortunate.

You may also want to look at COSC's BSBA or their General Studies BA which may let you bring those in.

Thanks a lot for the direction.

1. Not sure why they put N with Precalc, I actually got the credit through ALEKS and the school accepted it through ACE.

2. They are all from the CC, they switched from quarters to semesters not long ago. FYI the real estate stuff was required for my real estate license but as you can see I still got college credit, so at least they went to use in that regard. Not sure what UL classes are.
So, if you're thinking of going through TESU, it's going to be tricky. I really think you'd be better off spending the $75 to apply, to see where everything fits, but especially the Real Estate courses. It's pretty easy to figure out where most of the rest will go, but unless you know the degree you want, then it's really hard to determine where the RE courses will fit, so makes figuring out the rest pretty useless.

I would look at the BSPS, the BSBA, and the BALS. I might also contact TESU and ask if they have a degree where you can utilize the RE courses you've already taken.

I would also go back to ALEKS, and take Beginning Algebra (COSC will take this), Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, and even Intro to Stats if you want. Since you've already passed precalc, those should be easy for you to get. Also consider taking Saylor's Business Stats course when you finish ALEKS Stats. TESU counts it as UL credit which is always nice to have.

BTW - LL is Lower Level, UL is Upper Level. All degree programs will require some amount of UL credit.
Submitted application to TESU and got "Within 3 to 6 business days, you will receive an admission decision or notification if additional documents are needed for us to make an admission decision." Should I wait for them to requests transcripts, or send them in now to expedite things?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,229 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,875 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,363 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  TESU transcript audit says 13 required credits through TESU? Rteurowise 8 2,114 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,684 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  TESU "Overflow" Credits mysonx3 5 2,286 08-31-2018, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,900 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,786 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,697 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,035 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd