Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer problems taking the CLEP this morning, sores lost?
I took the CLEP Biology exam this morning and when I tried to submit my answers, a Java error popped up which said the computer was not connected to the server. I immediately called over the proctor who just tried to click submit again. This time the program crashed. When it crashed, it looked like the computer had been trying to install a Java update at the same time I was taking the test.

The test center claims that my scores should still be recorded, but they were on the phone with CLEP for over an hour trying to figure out how to see them. I had to leave, and asked them to call me when they figured it out. After almost three hours, I decided to call CLEP, and they just told me to send an e-mail so they could investigate the situation.

Has this happened to anyone before? I tried to search, but couldn't find any relevant threads.

I think I was more stressed about this test than any other test I've taken because I need a passing score (50) in order to graduate next week. I most-likely passed, but there were some tough questions.

If my score was not recorded, will they let me take the test over again knowing that I could now look up answers to questions I didn't know? I know that the questions are probably randomly pulled from a large set, but I don't know if they could guarantee that any of the questions I had on the exam this morning would not appear the second time.
Maybe you should hope everything was lost. I had a computer error after completing a 6 hour long Microsoft test. All was lost. I took the test the following weekend and about half of the questions were the same. I realized that on one major part of the test I misinterpreted the instructions the first time. The second time, I got it right. Tests are much easier when you've seen them before.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
If they cannot locate the results, I doubt VERY seriously they would punish you for their error. I imagine they would allow you to take it as soon as they determine the results cannot be recovered.
Don't miss out on something great just because it might also be difficult.

Road traveled: AA (2013) > BS (2014) > MS (2016) > Doctorate (2024)

If God hadn't been there for me, I never would have made it. Psalm 94:16-19
First of all, did the test center proctor reboot the computer, log back in to the CLEP server and see if the exam picked up where you left off (submitting your test results)? They should have also checked to see if their admin system showed that your exam was completed (could have manually printed your results if they were there).

I am sorry that you are having to deal with this stress. CLEP Services will deal with you if you push hard enough on the phone. I would also submit the email, but really try to get an answer on the phone! Good luck!
Thanks for the responses! The computer did not reboot, only the program, and then it went to the general screen. The test center was able to see that I was still "in-progress", but they couldn't see my results. They weren't able to get the program to go back to where it left off and to submit my results.

I know that tests are usually easier the second go-around, but I really don't want to have to take it again. I was mentally prepared to finish it today (and get the results), and don't want to have to think about it again.

The testing center finally contacted me back at the end of the day, and they told me that it would be at least 24 hours before they knew anything. The servers on the CLEP side are only updated once a day.

I did sent CLEP a few e-mails, and they say they will get in touch in a few business days.
When the "general screen" as you call it came up, I assume you mean the one where you enter your first and last name (what you typed at the very beginning). If this is the case, did they have you type in your name and then select to resume test? Your post above does not make it sound like they tried this step. If they did, what screen came up? When you initially select "report scores" or "cancel scores", you will always be asked to confirm the selection a second time (or change your mind). If you did not get to this screen the first time, it should have come up to this screen upon logging back in.

You do not need to wait a few days to hear back from CLEP about this. Call them! The test center can process their results any time of day (and even more than once), so they should have done this while you waited and then found out what CLEP showed on their end. Certainly the test center has done this by now, so I again suggest that you call and find out what results (if any) are showing under your name for this exam.
BGSU_Alum_86 Wrote:You do not need to wait a few days to hear back from CLEP about this. Call them! The test center can process their results any time of day (and even more than once), so they should have done this while you waited and then found out what CLEP showed on their end. Certainly the test center has done this by now, so I again suggest that you call and find out what results (if any) are showing under your name for this exam.

I don't think they tried this step.

The good news: CLEP did email me back today to say that they had my score. The told me I did well, but won't give me more information.

The bad news: They will only mail me and the university my score. They won't give it out over the phone or send it via email. It seems silly because I verified my personal information over the phone. The university testing center cannot see my score, but they said there's a chance they will be able to see it tomorrow. If mailed, it will take 7-10 business days to get to me, which is the week of final exams. They said there's no way to get the score before, unless the testing center can see me in thier system. Since a passing grade on this exam is the only thing preventing me from graduating, I won't know until I get the letter in the mail.

All very frustrating.
CLEP will never release any scores over the phone or via email -- not to the candidate and not to a university representative. This is a fairly common practice, and CLEP is known as being very strict with this policy.

If your score went through, then the test center should have access to it as you should have received your unofficial print-out at the conclusion if there had not been the issue in the first place. Just to warn you, there is a very good chance that with the little glitch they will never show a score to print off for you, so you will just have to wait for the printed one to come from CLEP (NJ) via first class mail.

I am so sorry to hear of your frustration. I can only imagine how I would be feeling in your place!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 281 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,624 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  So long, computer science — Chaos Studies is the hot new college degree LevelUP 9 1,214 10-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 4,077 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  UMPI YourPace Computer Science ashkir 99 19,387 09-07-2023, 12:06 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 507 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
  Accreditation problems for Ocean County College indigoshuffle 4 715 07-23-2023, 12:33 PM
  LSU Online Computer Science JO37992 2 783 03-22-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: davewill
  ASU's new online BS in Computer Science program nomaduser 8 2,211 03-02-2023, 06:29 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Alternatives for basic computer and information literacy dscat 7 831 02-28-2023, 10:23 AM
Last Post: rachel83az