Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Concurrent Degrees at TESU
I just got some information from TESU that apparently came from the Dean's office. I am close to completing my BSBA-CIS and was considering a BA in Computer Science as I have a lot of CS electives from a previous college and both are on my active calendar.

The information I was given is that none of the AoS credits from the BSBA-CIS can be used in the AoS for the BACS. I'm not sure if anyone else has had this issue, but it isn't clear in the information given at on TESU's Award of Degrees page. This page states that for concurrent degrees - "Students who desire to have two Thomas Edison State University baccalaureate degrees awarded in the same graduation cycle may do so providing 24 credits are different in the second degree's core/area of study." I was under the assumption that with an AoS of 36 credits in the BACS, if 24 were not from the BSBA-CIS degree, it should be fine. However, it seems that regardless of order, TESU is considering the BSBA-CIS as the 'second' degree, as they will remove all the credits from the AoS AND 6 credits from the core. I'm not sure how this scenario would play out for a second degree after convocation as it would be difficult to interpret a previously awarded degree as the 'second' degree. 

Has anyone on this board completed both the BSBA-CIS and the BACS concurrently? If so, what did the credit layout look like? I can't imagine there's an effective way to get enough UL courses for both degrees with the policy mentioned above.

This is a pretty confusing policy (albeit on brand) from TESU. I know TESU is getting a reputation on this board for getting less competitive and constant adjustments to policies, so I guess this is another one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Turkish's post:
  • akr680
For the BSBA CIS and the BACS - You can overlap 9 credits, that's 3 courses in the AOS and the rest of your general education courses would be the same. Total, you need 24 credits difference, 21 if you count the Capstones...

That is it...just make sure you have all the requirements for the BSBA CIS & BACS, such as all the required prerequisites before you get into the AOS, for example, BACS has extra math classes such as Calculus and more Upper-Level CIS/CS courses, etc
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-18-2020, 01:53 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For the BSBA CIS and the BACS - You can overlap 9 credits, that's 3 courses in the AOS and the rest of your general education courses would be the same. Total, you need 24 credits difference, 21 if you count the Capstones...

That is it...just make sure you have all the requirements for the BSBA CIS & BACS, such as all the required prerequisites before you get into the AOS, for example, BACS has extra math classes such as Calculus and more Upper-Level CIS/CS courses, etc

But maybe that number would be different since the BSBA CIS only has 18 credits of CIS. 9 credits is half of the AOS. Maybe that is why the advisor told OP that information. I can see where they are coming from.

Also, be aware if you do both degrees you is that both degrees have separate capstones. This would put you at 9 credits at TESU.
So if you do want both degrees, you might want took look into 16 credits at TESU and avoid the wavier. It would be cheaper this way then 9 and the wavier. And especially if you do flat-rate, or get scholarships, grants or tuition reimbursement.

7 add'l credits (after the 9 req. to equal 16) at TESU = 2650
Waiver fee = 2800

and that assumes no flat-rate tuition or aid money so it could be even cheaper.

Just something to keep in mind.
(04-18-2020, 10:49 AM)natshar Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 01:53 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: For the BSBA CIS and the BACS - You can overlap 9 credits, that's 3 courses in the AOS and the rest of your general education courses would be the same. Total, you need 24 credits difference, 21 if you count the Capstones...

But maybe that number would be different since the BSBA CIS only has 18 credits of CIS. 9 credits is half of the AOS. Maybe that is why the advisor told OP that information. I can see where they are coming from.

Also, be aware if you do both degrees you is that both degrees have separate capstones. This would put you at 9 credits at TESU.
So if you do want both degrees, you might want took look into 16 credits at TESU and avoid the wavier. It would be cheaper this way then 9 and the wavier. And especially if you do flat-rate, or get scholarships, grants or tuition reimbursement.

Waiver fee = 2800

2 capstones during the same term - just shoot me!  That would be a rough 12 weeks...
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-18-2020, 05:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Waiver fee = 2800

2 capstones during the same term - just shoot me!  That would be a rough 12 weeks...

#Truth
BALS Social Sciences - TESU 2020
ASNSM Computer Science - TESU 2020
(04-18-2020, 07:48 PM)darthweezy Wrote:
(04-18-2020, 05:55 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

Waiver fee = 2800

#Truth

I was never saying you have to do two capstones in the same term. I was simply stating that AFTER the cost of 9 credits required for both degrees; the cost of an additional 7 credits to equal 16 would be cheaper than paying the waiver. And that price would go down even more if there was aid or flat rate. Maybe do one of the capstones by itself and the other capstone as a flat rate with some other courses.

But I agree 2 capstones at once would be torture. Although it would be the cheapest option but not recommended that's for sure.

Honestly, I think paying the waiver fee would be a better bet than doing 16.

But if money is an issue something to keep in mind. And if you get pell grant or tuition reimbursement it might actually be worth it because the savings would be a lot better.

Plus if you get aid and do capstone 1 and sos-110 in one term. Then the second term it would make sense to do 6 credits as well to get aid. And that point you would be at 12 credits so then it would make even more sense to get 16.
So I have a bit more information I got from TESU that I thought I'd share because it could be relevant to others here.

From my previous message I was told that none of the BSBA-CIS credits can be used in the AoS for BACS (None of the CIS and 6 of the Core can't be used). However, I asked about whether different credit sources or instances of credits. If I retook a course like MIS-301 from a different source could be used and the answer was no.

" I checked with my supervisor on this one and the answer is no. Even if you have multiple degrees you can only apply a course once. So if you have CIS-301 from 2016 and then take it again now, only one of them will count. I.e. you cannot have CIS-301 from 2016 in the CIS degree and CIS-301 from 2020 in the BA.COS. So that doesn't work."

I thought a few people had previously used these courses as overlap between the BSBA-CIS and BACS, but it looks like either I was mistaken, or they've changed a policy. Not entirely sure why that is and it seems a little counter-intuitive. I just thought I'd post because this forum has been a great source of information for me (even though I don't post often) and I thought I'd share.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 17 776 7 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,988 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 266 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 235 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 303 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 275 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,164 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 394 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 728 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 571 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch