Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confirmation SDC transfers TESU Intro to Programming
dfrecore Wrote:I would take Intro to Programming for the CS, and a different programming course (C, C++, or Python) for the BSBA/CIS.

This is exactly what I am doing. I am taking as many programming courses from Study.com as I can - Java, C/C++, Python. The Intro to programming, data structures, and Java programming should all have a lot of overlap. I wonder if TESU has decided to give credit for the Java programming course as the last time I heard they did not accept it... I'll still take the course, but not do the final or assignments for review.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-30-2019, 11:28 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 11:15 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 09:57 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 07:54 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 07:39 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: For the CS.

You can do the C programming course if you want. I did it and it was fine as well, C also has assignments which you may or may not prefer.

I see, for the CS AOS it is called "Intro to Programming" and for the BSBA-CIS it is simply called "Programming". I will check with TESU to see if it fulfills the AOS requirement or not.

Thanks again for updating everyone here.

For the BSBA-CIS the degree requirements specifically say that you need a programming language course... any programming language will work for this. I had several, so I ended up using C Programming (from SDC) to meet the programming language requirement in my AOS and C++ Programming (from SL) to meet the natural science requirement in my Gen Ed section.

For the BACS TESU specifically requires an "Intro to Programming" course. They will not accept any programming languages courses for that requirement.

The SDC Intro to Programming course will probably be accepted as part of the BSBA-CIS AOS, but my guess is that it will probably end up as an AOS elective since it isn't specifically a programming language course, but who knows.
Study.com's "Intro to Programming" is really focused on core JAVA 
https://study.com/academy/course/compute...nformation

Because of the focus on core JAVA with this course I feel that TESU might accept it to fulfill the BSBA-CIS AOS. This course should probably be named "Intro to JAVA". It does not really look like other "Intro to Programming" courses that I have glanced at. Other courses seem to provide a high level overview of multiple programming languages along with comparisons between structured/procedural languages and object oriented programming. There also might briefly be a quick discussion on the SDLC and version controlling. This skips all of that and gets right into JAVA.

I think I have a shot at TESU saying "YES". Either way I will share their response here in this thread when I get it.

From what I've seen, whether TESU counts a course for a requirement has more to do with what it transfers as than the content itself. They've made it clear that Programming Language courses don't count for Intro to Programming, so I doubt they'll let Intro to Programming (which we know is what this course transfers as) count for a Programming Language. I hope it works for you though!

The answer will probably be "NO" then. Also, it is odd that TESU will not accept SDC's "Programming in C" for the CS requirement of "Intro to Programming" considering that ACE recommends SDC's "Programming in C" as an "Intro to Programming" course among its recommendations. That is irrelevant now with the introduction of SDC's new CS classes but I guess it shows the type of discretion/interpretive differences they can have above or below the ACE recommendation(s). Maybe the partnership/transfer agreement established outside of ACE between SDC and TESU makes what ACE has to say irrelevant (in this case)???

Either way I will respond back here and relay what they say.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
Have you looked at TESU's own intro to programming course?

https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=COS-111&sem=

It uses java as well and is almost identical to the study.com course in terms of content.

We are happy to have intro to programming. Please dont try to get it changed to intro to java and ruin it for the rest of us.

And regardless of the language the key is to learn OOP and programming concepts.
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(05-30-2019, 09:57 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 07:54 PM)AwardTour Wrote:
(05-30-2019, 07:39 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: For the CS.

You can do the C programming course if you want. I did it and it was fine as well, C also has assignments which you may or may not prefer.

I see, for the CS AOS it is called "Intro to Programming" and for the BSBA-CIS it is simply called "Programming". I will check with TESU to see if it fulfills the AOS requirement or not.

Thanks again for updating everyone here.

For the BSBA-CIS the degree requirements specifically say that you need a programming language course... any programming language will work for this. I had several, so I ended up using C Programming (from SDC) to meet the programming language requirement in my AOS and C++ Programming (from SL) to meet the natural science requirement in my Gen Ed section.

For the BACS TESU specifically requires an "Intro to Programming" course. They will not accept any programming languages courses for that requirement.

The SDC Intro to Programming course will probably be accepted as part of the BSBA-CIS AOS, but my guess is that it will probably end up as an AOS elective since it isn't specifically a programming language course, but who knows.
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TESU SAID YES!!!! They will accept Study.com's "Intro to Programming" to fulfill the "Programming" requirement for the BSBA-CIS. See attached image from my Academic Eval.

Attached Files
.png   TESU_Programming.png (Size: 19.41 KB / Downloads: 20)

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
(05-31-2019, 02:30 PM)AwardTour Wrote: UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TESU SAID YES!!!! They will accept Study.com's "Intro to Programming" to fulfill the "Programming" requirement for the BSBA-CIS. See attached image from my Academic Eval.

Interesting. The specific requirement is "Programming Language" but if they accept it than all the better for you.

Hopefully that doesn't impact how it is evaluated for folks who are trying to complete that course for their BACS. Since it still comes in as COS-111 that shouldn't be an issue unless they decide to change the course evaluation too.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
@Merlin that was my concern. TESU is known to change courses based on feedback if everyone is saying 'oh this isnt intro to programming' then they might change it. I thought forum members would learn this by now lol....
GRADUATE

Master of Business Administration, Robert Cavelier University (2024-2025)

MS Information and Communication Technology (UK IET Accredited) (On Hold)
Master of Theological Studies, Nations University (6 cr)

UNDERGRAD : 184 Credits

BA Computer Science, TESU  '19
BA Liberal Studies, TESU  '19
AS  Natural Science and Mathematics, TESU  '19

StraighterLine (27 Cr)   Shmoop (18 Cr)  Sophia (11 Cr)
TEEX (5 Cr) Aleks (9 Cr)  ED4Credit (3 Cr) CPCU (2 Cr)   Study.com (39 Cr)

TESU (4 cr)
TT B&M (46 Cr)  Nations University  (9 cr)  UoPeople: (3 cr) Penn Foster: (8 cr)  

(05-31-2019, 02:43 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(05-31-2019, 02:30 PM)AwardTour Wrote: UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting. The specific requirement is "Programming Language" but if they accept it than all the better for you.

Hopefully that doesn't impact how it is evaluated for folks who are trying to complete that course for their BACS. Since it still comes in as COS-111 that shouldn't be an issue unless they decide to change the course evaluation too.

For people taking the BACS, I think TESU will continue to accept "Intro to Programming". I also think that TESU might now accept SDC's "C Programming" if you look at the recent change to the ACE recommendation. ACE appears to have made a recommendation change in March of this year. ACE now recommends SDC's "C Programming" as an "Intro to Programming" class in addition to recommending it as a "Programming" class. If TESU shares the same mindset as ACE then the class would now serve both purposes just as "Intro to Programming" by SDC now serves both purposes.

(05-31-2019, 02:48 PM)armstrongsubero Wrote: @Merlin that was my concern. TESU is known to change courses based on feedback if everyone is saying 'oh this isnt intro to programming' then they might change it. I thought forum members would learn this by now lol....

If you looked at the recent ACE recommendations then I don't think you have anything to fear. I based my guess on the outcome of all of this by looking at the ACE recommendations before I ever posted anything here. 

My guess is nothing will change and you have nothing to worry about. I would be willing to bet on it.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Non-course equivalency at TESU for Sophia Principles of Finance? Yenisei 7 353 03-18-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Study Managerial Accounting that Transfers to UMPI Indieblue 0 308 01-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: Indieblue
  TESU AOS Finance courses Yenisei 9 694 01-15-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Business/Society splirow 15 1,406 08-12-2023, 07:32 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sophia - Intro to Chemistry Lab now Available! ashkir 1 629 04-03-2023, 07:59 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Scripting and Programming - Foundations and IT Leadership Foundations Sophia or SDC? Omece 3 1,132 02-10-2023, 10:44 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Sophia Intro to Chemistry Lab course difficulty level EducationSeeker 6 1,242 01-09-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Current equivalency Sophia courses that will transfer to TESU Mccderm 3 873 01-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Mccderm
  Study.com question - Biology 101L: Intro to Biology with Lab Mr T 6 1,501 12-31-2022, 05:27 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  SDC Presentation Skills Class NOT transferring to TESU?? ACI 4 709 12-22-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: ACI