Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused about adding another degree
If we are almost done getting a BSBA in with CIS, what does it take to also get a degree in ASNSM - Computer Science?  I know I read another question similar to this, but it was a bit confusing to me.  Extra courses?
Email TESU academic advising asking them to add a program into your list, indicate you want the ASNSM Computer Science added. That's it because the courses you take in your BSBA CIS (all the CIS courses 18 credits) will be enough to complete the 16 credit ASNSM Computer Science Area of Study requirements. But if your sons want extra credits for FREE, then get them to do all the TEEX Cybersecurity classes if they haven't done so already.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(11-07-2020, 10:35 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Email TESU academic advising asking them to add a program into your list, indicate you want the ASNSM Computer Science added.  That's it because the courses you take in your BSBA CIS (all the CIS courses 18 credits) will be enough to complete the 16 credit ASNSM Computer Science Area of Study requirements.  But if your sons want extra credits for FREE, then get them to do all the TEEX Cybersecurity classes if they haven't done so already.

Thank you for your reply.  What is the advantage to taking the extra courses from TEEX other than adding credits.  They have lots of extra credits already that actually did not count because they were lower level, and did not transfer over.  Several came from Saylor when they were counted on ACE.
If they have sufficient LL credits for the ASNSM Computer Science from some computer science courses at Saylor, then the TEEX Cybersecurity wouldn’t be needed, they can be used as an ego boost, or some people like me, we collect college credit for the sake of learning, and I can brag about getting inexpensive credits, the same way I got a few of those inexpensive executive education certificates...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Thank you for sharing.  We had extra from Saylor and a local CC before I knew they had to be all UL.  Sad.  Hopefully, they can be used for something now.  I just wanted to make sure they did not "need" them to add to the degree.  Thanks again.
You need 2 maths.

Algebra and something higher than algebra like the Sophia Stats course.   (can't use CMS learn)

Other than that you need nothing else as your CIS courses will be used for the CS courses so it's a free/easy extra degree.

System Analysis
MIS
Database Management
Mrktng Digital & Social Media
Intro IT (sophia)  (or whatever intro computers you got for the BSBA)
Programming language
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(11-08-2020, 04:26 AM)LevelUP Wrote: You need 2 maths.

Algebra and something higher than algebra like the Sophia Stats course.   (can't use CMS learn)

Other than that you need nothing else as your CIS courses will be used for the CS courses so it's a free/easy extra degree.

System Analysis
MIS
Database Management
Mrktng Digital & Social Media
Intro IT (sophia)  (or whatever intro computers you got for the BSBA)
Programming language

Thank you. They already had all that added to their degree plan for the BSBA and done with most of it.   (College Alg. - CLEP, Stats - Community College and College Math - CLEP)

System Analysis  (Done SDC)
MIS (Done except for papers SDC)
Database Management (still to be done)
Mrktng Digital & Social Media (still to be done)
Intro IT (sophia)  (or whatever intro computers you got for the BSBA)-  (CLEP)
Programming language  (C+, C++, and Object Oriented Programming.)
(11-08-2020, 06:04 AM)Dorothy44 Wrote: Programming language  (C+, C++, and Object Oriented Programming.)

Unless you're already familiar with these languages, I would highly recommend SDC's Programming in Python course. The single assignment is really easy. It took me about 3 hours and that's mostly because I decided to get fancy with it. In contrast, (at least at SDC) the C/C++ courses look like their assignments could each take a couple of days to complete.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-11-2020, 02:04 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(11-08-2020, 06:04 AM)Dorothy44 Wrote: Programming language  (C+, C++, and Object Oriented Programming.)

Unless you're already familiar with these languages, I would highly recommend SDC's Programming in Python course. The single assignment is really easy. It took me about 3 hours and that's mostly because I decided to get fancy with it. In contrast, (at least at SDC) the C/C++ courses look like their assignments could each take a couple of days to complete.

Thank you for the suggestions.  My sons already took the above courses at our community college, and they did very well in them all. 

As an update, they had the ASNSM in Computer Science added to their degree plan, and all the extra courses came in beautifully!!  All they have left to take is the Information Literacy which they will need for their other degree (BSBA) anyway.
[-] The following 2 users Like Dorothy44's post:
  • Leedeedee, rachel83az

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 605 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 499 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 521 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 399 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 376 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 340 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
  Double Degree How To kowenboy 3 298 02-29-2024, 01:05 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 659 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Adding on associates? optimisticCoder3 6 435 02-23-2024, 09:58 PM
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 623 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch