Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused on FEMA courses
I was searching through the site and was noticing that some of the older members were banging out 20-30 FEMA courses. I read that TEST won't accept them but Charter Oaks might?

Who still accepts these and what is the deal with laundering them through Frederick Community college. is FCC the one in Maryland in Frederick County?

If so I am a Maryland resident and I am wondering what I could possibly do.
FCC takes them and the schools that accept them generally follow the FCC guidelines on credit.

COSC still accepts them directly from FEMA for free, they will almost always count as "free elective" credit.

Excelsior will take them but you have to follow the FEMA/FCC process of converting them to credit. This carries a cost of around $81/credit
https://training.fema.gov/is/isfaq.aspx
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
I have never known anyone in Maryland who used the FEMA for a degree, but FCC does offer one Emergency Management - Frederick Community College

My understanding is that they require some added coursework over and above the FEMA course...but I have no first hand experience with that. Clackamus CC in Washington State,Red Rocks (in Arkansas?), and Guam CC all use FEMA in degree programs, but each makes it difficult if not impossible to earn a degree via distance.
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Not true! Clackamas Community College (Oregon) AAS in Emergency Management degree can be completed 100% in your own State. 5 States and the USCG endorse it and have an MOU with them. Exactly what CCC course are you referring too? I am just completing it and never took a class at that campus. One huge bonus is CCC has a great Credit by Prior Leaning (CPL) program "if" you have experience. I have used CPL often ($10 Credit). FEMA credits are $40 per course (1-3 credits....most are 1 credit).
The FEMA credits are counted as resident credit.:hurray:

Guam only wants Guam students from what I have read. FCC has mickey mouse exams with every 5-6 FEMA classes. Not sure about Red Rock.

rebel100 Wrote:I have never known anyone in Maryland who used the FEMA for a degree, but FCC does offer one Emergency Management - Frederick Community College

My understanding is that they require some added coursework over and above the FEMA course...but I have no first hand experience with that. Clackamus CC in Washington State,Red Rocks (in Arkansas?), and Guam CC all use FEMA in degree programs, but each makes it difficult if not impossible to earn a degree via distance.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

FCC does have a program for about $82 credit to wash them. COSC does not need that.
yb1 Wrote:I was searching through the site and was noticing that some of the older members were banging out 20-30 FEMA courses. I read that TEST won't accept them but Charter Oaks might?

Who still accepts these and what is the deal with laundering them through Frederick Community college. is FCC the one in Maryland in Frederick County?

If so I am a Maryland resident and I am wondering what I could possibly do.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

Life Long Learning Wrote:Not true! Clackamas Community College (Oregon) AAS in Emergency Management degree can be completed 100% in your own State. 5 States and the USCG endorse it and have an MOU with them. Exactly what CCC course are you referring too?.

Glad to hear it, I hope some of my phone calls helped lead them to it ! Smile
AS in EMS August 2010

I wish you would start a thread on your CCC experience. A degree plan including CLEP and FEMA that didn't break the bank would be most welcome.
AS in EMS August 2010

I will this week.

rebel100 Wrote:I wish you would start a thread on your CCC experience. A degree plan including CLEP and FEMA that didn't break the bank would be most welcome.

rebel100 Wrote:I wish you would start a thread on your CCC experience. A degree plan including CLEP and FEMA that didn't break the bank would be most welcome.

Yes. This. Please.
BA, Liberal Studies - Charter Oak State College, 2018
AAS, Police Administration - Nashville State Community College, 2016
AAS, Board of Governors, West Virginia University at Parkersburg, 2015

I can't remember exactly why CCC was a no go for me. It may have been a disconnect between the required State courses. There was something I couldn't get in Florida for some reason. Maybe Florida wasn't playing nice with Oregon or something. At any rate if the CCC is available it is a neat program. I really like their design and the design of Guam CC...just need to figure out the logistics hurtles.
AS in EMS August 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Courses/Exams at a Cheaper Price and TESU Admissions Question UnbreakablyDetermined 12 4,463 09-09-2018, 08:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,092 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  TESU September Graduation: Adding extra courses to transcript by latest 08/31/2018? Nightmoves5 7 2,083 08-19-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Liberal Studies General Coursework won't be filled by BUS or CIS courses? posabsolute 5 1,736 08-01-2018, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  CIS vs COS courses for a BALS concentration in CS at TESU jeffreymb 1 1,234 07-25-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  TESU Psychology courses & grad school prospects. advancedmemetics 5 1,736 07-06-2018, 11:35 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  EC now accepting FEMA credits Exfactor 6 2,801 06-29-2018, 10:32 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,549 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr
  TEEX Courses at TESU BSLIONS 25 6,802 06-11-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: maplefu
  Excelsior Ethics courses radconjohn 10 3,000 06-01-2018, 12:28 AM
Last Post: dfrecore