Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confused on Lower/Upper Level Dantes
Ok, I guess I'm not getting this. I am going for a BS in General Business with Excelsior. If I take the two upper level ECE exams for both Organizational Behavior and Ethics, that means they count double as upper level so I only need two more upper level exams. Now, to make the right amount of credits, I need two more tests in the business section to complete the required 45 Semester hours, but they don't need to be upper level.

Can I just pick any test for those two lower levels or do they need to be business related? If they need to be business related, which of the DSST tests are considered "business" lower level? For example, can I take Criminal Justice or Here's to your health?

Thanks!

Christa
BS Business - Excelsior College Summa Cum Laude
Started with 25 credits in March 2006. Tested out with CLEP, Dantes and Tecep.
ChristaKB Wrote:Ok, I guess I'm not getting this. I am going for a BS in General Business with Excelsior. If I take the two upper level ECE exams for both Organizational Behavior and Ethics, that means they count double as upper level so I only need two more upper level exams. Now, to make the right amount of credits, I need two more tests in the business section to complete the required 45 Semester hours, but they don't need to be upper level.

Can I just pick any test for those two lower levels or do they need to be business related? If they need to be business related, which of the DSST tests are considered "business" lower level? For example, can I take Criminal Justice or Here's to your health?

Thanks!

Christa
I think you're confusing the ECE Ethics and Organizational Behavior credits. If you take these 2 upper level exams (or equivalent courses), you can use the credits as both upper level business electives towards the 12 upper level business electives required of the degree PLUS you will satisfy both the Ethics and Organizational Behavior requirements. These are the only 2 courses that I'm aware of that will accomplish both of these tasks in 1 shot. They don't count as "double" credits so to say, but it is like "killing 2 birds with one shot". The exams or courses must be upper level to do this however. For instance, the DSST Ethics and Organizational Behavior exams are lower level so while they would satisfy the Ethics and Org. Behavior requirements, they could obviously not be used as upper level business electives at the same time.
-Need 6 more credits for Excelsior College BS in General Business
-Tested out of 46 credits to date
Credits to finish:
Operations Mgmt-CSU-Pueblo MGMT 311
Business Policy- CSU Pueblo MGMT 485 or TESC exam???
For my upper level courses I'm planning on the Human Resources Management and Labor Relations exams for ECE and the MIS and Money and Banking DSST exams. The Money and Banking exam has been ranked tough but numbers have never given me a problem. I may rethink this knowing that I can double dip Ethics and Org Behavior. I thought that if they counted as core courses Excelsior would not also count them as upper level. I need the 45 business credits anyway so I was trying to save some cash.
Dale H.
half way...
Enrolled - BS-BGB Excelsior
Completed - 65 credits
Togo - 4 CLEP, 6 DSST, 2 ECE, 1 EC Course, 1 TECEP
ChristaKB Wrote:Ok, I guess I'm not getting this. I am going for a BS in General Business with Excelsior. If I take the two upper level ECE exams for both Organizational Behavior and Ethics, that means they count double as upper level so I only need two more upper level exams. Now, to make the right amount of credits, I need two more tests in the business section to complete the required 45 Semester hours, but they don't need to be upper level.

Thanks!

Christa
After reading your question again, I think you are sort of on the right track. Upper level Ethics and Org Behavior will give you 6 of the 12 required upper level business credits and fulfill the Ethics And Org Behavior requirements at the same time. You will still need 6 more upper level business credits. For example: I took DSST Business Law 2 and ECE Human Resource Management to finish out the 12 total upper level business electives. These 12 upper level business credits count towards the required 45 business component credits required of the degree. If you download the "Self- Review Worksheet" from the Excelsior website, you will see that you must take certain subjects within the business component- these are listed as:
Accounting 1
Accounting 2
Business Law (1)
Computers
Prin. of Management
Prin. of Marketing
Financial Management
Operations/Financial Mgmt
Business Policy
These courses are considered "core" courses, but none of them necessarily need to be upper level. None of the core courses count towards the 12 upper level elective credits, so they can be lower level. The business core courses plus the 12 upper level business electives together make up the 45 credit Business Component portion of the degree. It is kind of confusing. I am pretty sure that I'm correct about this, but you should discuss these requirements with a business program advisor if you are unsure about anything and ask for approvals for exams and courses- just to make sure that you don't end up taking exams that you can't apply to your degree. I believe that I am correct. Anyone have a different understanding?
-Need 6 more credits for Excelsior College BS in General Business
-Tested out of 46 credits to date
Credits to finish:
Operations Mgmt-CSU-Pueblo MGMT 311
Business Policy- CSU Pueblo MGMT 485 or TESC exam???
Hunter,

From my perspective and experience, you have it exactly right.

Very Nice explanation!
charlie130
Gradual Student

Enrolled: Excelsior BS MIS - Credits to date: 121
[Traditional Classes: 75, CLEP: 15, DSST 06, CERTS (IT): 25]
Cumulative GPA 3.8 - Concentration GPA 4.0
View my Exam Results at, "Post Your Test Results" Thread
Page 48/#303

Remaining tests:
DSSTs
09.06 Org Behav
10.06 Ethics
11.06 Finance

MBA is next educational goal.Smile

Thanks!

Christa

Girlfriend, please just give your advisor a call and tell them exactly what you posted here. Have a few DSST/CLEP's in mind that you think you want to take and ask specifically if this one or that one will qualify for the credits you need.
It's so easy to take an exam you don't need and although we are all very smart and well meaning people here on the boards, we don't know your academic situation and we could give you the wrong advice. I just know if it were me, I'd be a little frustrated if I found out after the fact that a test didn't qualify for the credit I needed.
You advisor will tell you for sure which you need. Smile
[COLOR="Purple"][SIZE="2"]
Best of luck,
Joanne [/size]
[SIZE="1"]
31 hours traditional schooling
11 Microsoft exams, 1 Linux+, 2 ICCP's, 6 CLEP's, 12 DSSTs, and 6 ECE's
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"]Degree Completed!
BS in Liberal Studies[/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
libartsmgr Wrote:Girlfriend, please just give your advisor a call and tell them exactly what you posted here. Have a few DSST/CLEP's in mind that you think you want to take and ask specifically if this one or that one will qualify for the credits you need.
It's so easy to take an exam you don't need and although we are all very smart and well meaning people here on the boards, we don't know your academic situation and we could give you the wrong advice. I just know if it were me, I'd be a little frustrated if I found out after the fact that a test didn't qualify for the credit I needed.
You advisor will tell you for sure which you need. Smile

Excellent Qualifier Joanne (libartsmgr).

You are so very correct.

We are all students here on this board.Smile
charlie130
Gradual Student

Enrolled: Excelsior BS MIS - Credits to date: 121
[Traditional Classes: 75, CLEP: 15, DSST 06, CERTS (IT): 25]
Cumulative GPA 3.8 - Concentration GPA 4.0
View my Exam Results at, "Post Your Test Results" Thread
Page 48/#303

Remaining tests:
DSSTs
09.06 Org Behav
10.06 Ethics
11.06 Finance

MBA is next educational goal.Smile
Thank you all for the excellent advise. I know I am on the right track. I have not enrolled in Excelsior yet, I have one test to go (Statistics) before I get my AS degree. I was just trying to plan ahead. I will most likely enroll in a month or so and hopefully get all my questions answered Big Grin

Thanks again!

Christa
BS Business - Excelsior College Summa Cum Laude
Started with 25 credits in March 2006. Tested out with CLEP, Dantes and Tecep.
Joanne is absolutely right. Ideally you should consult an advisor.

Since I'm on the BS General Business track, I'm attaching my degree plan and an alternative degree plan. I think it should give you an idea about the upper level credits, and the advanced business credits. I think Hunter explained it correctly, but sometimes it's easier with visualization. Page 1 on the PDF file is my current degree plan, and page 2 was my previous plan. I decided a few weeks ago to switch from ECE Ethics (UL) to DSST Ethics (LL), so I changed from DSST Intro to Business (Lower level credit) to DSST Business Law 2 (Upper level) to compensate for the loss of UL credit. Both were approved by advisement.
.pdf   Less than 1 minute ago">BS-BGB.pdf (Size: 22.17 KB / Downloads: 38)
[SIZE="1"]Ana
[COLOR="DarkRed"]96 credits completed (93 by exam)
BS in General Business, Excelsior College (33 credits remaining)
Next exams: DSST Statistics, DSST Business Law 2
Recently taken: DSST Drug/Alcohol (61), CLEP French (63), ECE Gerontology (B Sad), DSST MIS (65), DSST Counseling (54), DSST Ethics (63)[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New here; intrigued, slightly confused and overwhelmed jobojoe285 22 942 Yesterday, 12:38 AM
Last Post: jobojoe285
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,563 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 861 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SUNY accepted upper level class jg_nuy 10 434 03-05-2024, 10:41 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Question Graduate-Level Courses NotJoeBiden 7 612 01-24-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 440 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 559 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  Level 5 from UK, what have been your experiences? elcastor21 3 430 09-19-2023, 09:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Upper level Art credits? Insert Name 9 1,035 03-04-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Where can I find a cheap college-level writing/composition course ftlclam 4 783 02-27-2023, 11:28 PM
Last Post: ftlclam