Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Considering Aeronautics degree at ER
I'm considering attending Embry Riddle for an Aeronautics degree. I don't know if anyone has any experience with an Aeronautics degree or attending Embry-Riddle. If so, do you have any feedback or possible forecast for job growth. My passion is flying but I feel it's more lucrative to be in the Aerospace Engineering program but I'm Active Duty military so my course are limited to online only.
That's a mighty expensive degree program - and especially the flight time that you have to pay for. My son looked at this, and it said to budget for $15-$25k PER YEAR for flight time. I laughed at him, and said "well, you can cross that off your list!"
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Every time I get sucked into checking out one of their programs that interests me (mostly aerospace or safety), I remember how expensive they are and change my mind. There are a few aerospace and elec. engineers where I work that went through some of their programs. They are in the same positions as any other engineer from some no-name school. Just like everything else, if it's RA, nobody cares (unless they have a known football team, or are ivy league or local).
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

(04-30-2018, 04:59 PM)icampy Wrote: Every time I get sucked into checking out one of their programs that interests me (mostly aerospace or safety), I remember how expensive they are and change my mind. There are a few aerospace and elec. engineers where I work that went through some of their programs. They are in the same positions as any other engineer from some no-name school. Just like everything else, if it's RA, nobody cares (unless they have a known football team, or are ivy league or local).

I would say that if you want to become a commercial airline pilot, they are probably THE name in the business - I read that about half of all U.S. airline pilots got their degree from ER (I'm assuming the other half came through the military).  But for anything else, I would think that it doesn't matter.

They are an ROTC school for all 3 branches of the military, so if you can get in that way, then tuition is free.  But you still have to pay for the flight school, and it's expensive (although not more expensive than any other flight school that I've seen - roughly $60k-$80k).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I can't answer most of your questions about career/job prospects, however, I JUST saw an article about the American Airlines Cadet program. It allows you to become a commercial pilot non-traditionally. Not sure if this will work for you, but wanted to share: http://www.aacadetacademy.com/CadetAcademy/Index
Oh, if youre looking to fly, check out UPS and the like....buddys son is starting with them next year after school, grrat pay.
We are all on the same side here, trying to better our lives....so let's get along and help each other out. 

Learn a trade. Gain technical skills. Make money, then use this money to get a degree...if you have the desire. 

[-] The following 1 user Likes icampy's post:
  • Yenisei
(04-30-2018, 02:51 PM)wolfblitz007 Wrote: I'm considering attending Embry Riddle for an Aeronautics degree. I don't know if anyone has any experience with an Aeronautics degree or attending Embry-Riddle. If so, do you have any feedback or possible forecast for job growth. My passion is flying but I feel it's more lucrative to be in the Aerospace Engineering program but I'm Active Duty military so my course are limited to online only.

Hey Wolf,
You Air Force?
I was enrolled at ERAU Online in the Aeronautics program, I will say the only reasons I dropped were due to it not being technical enough and I was no longer seeking to be in the aerospace industry.  I am an old air force avionics tech and most of my CCAF covered the specialty aspects but just wasnt for me anymore.  They do require 24 credits to be taken by courses they offer, which is not bad considering what some of the other schools require, except for the big 3 allowing pretty much a full test out.  I consider ERAU quite reasonable in cost, which is strange considering the forum were on to save money is mainly about testing out.   But I believe the current rate for active duty is $250/cr, assuming your using TA though.  Even at full rate $375/cr its still cheaper than many full blown colleges that offer some portion of online completion.

And if you want to fly then the ERAU Aeronautics degree may not be the angle your looking for. You will find no flight lessons courses due to it being online.  See this course list, yes there are many aviation related courses, that would allow you to pursue an aviation career, but none of them while get you a pilots license. https://worldwide.erau.edu/-/media/files...hedule.pdf

Alternatively if you want to be in aerospace engineering, the Aeronautics degree probably wont quite cut it in my opinion.  As I stated for myself, it's not technical enough and does not even require College Algebra or anything past intro to physics. You would need to consider the BS in Engineering, or the BS in Engineering Technology which are both Math and science intensive. With that all that said, it is possible you could to the BS or BS and MS combo in Aeronautics and find your self a good career in aerospace.  I personally have no degree at this time and am Chief Architect for the federal division of one the largest computer manufacturer in the world. :Smile ... thinks to self.. why do i need a degree again!?

And personally I liked ERAU, the staff is friendly and helpful. Plus the course structures based on standard university courses, but are offered monthly in several lengths 8 or 16 weeks.  This was pretty effective for taking 1 or 2 8 weeks courses at a time, or 3-4 16 weeks, to get you close to a full time schedule while having that option to start a new one each month.

Sorry for being long winded, now let me tell you my course of action.  My intent is to graduate next year from TESU with a BS Electronics Engineering technology. My idea is to switch back to ERAU for my masters in either the Aeronautics, Aerospace Engineering or Systems Engineering.  The TESU degree offers one simple thing many programs, including ERAU cant.  A certification from ABET, an accreditation for engineering that most states recognize to allow you to take the professional engineering exam.

PM me.. I can give you my cell and we can chat.

And one last note: THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!
DSST- General Anthropology - 52, Intro to Computer - 469, Technical Writing - 54, DSST Ethics in America - 59 (1996),
CLEP- Sociology -54, College Math - 550(1996), CLEP Principles of Management - 60 (1996)
Aleks Beg Alg,
Not what you want to do I'm sure, but those with an aeronautics degree who want to work in sales in their field make $$$$$$. The jobs I've seen go for $150k/year and above. Not that I would recommend getting a high debt degree, but the sales jobs I've seen in the field look very exciting (especially if you like international business) and pay extremely well.

..Just a thought
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
[-] The following 1 user Likes burbuja0512's post:
  • Yenisei

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,341 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 3,998 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  British Master’s degree for £1,950 armado 23 3,864 02-17-2024, 01:55 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  NAU is ending their PL MOL degree Ebroady23 5 781 01-19-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: kai1120
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,540 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Seeking affordable online interior design degree lumina 12 1,184 12-14-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Cheapest online masters degree under 12 months Sdmj33 30 9,019 12-02-2023, 05:00 PM
Last Post: ecdw94
  Help - Masters Degree Advice bdcmetal666 12 3,123 11-18-2023, 03:46 PM
  NAU MOL degree personalized learning Ebroady23 8 812 11-07-2023, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  University of Lübeck, Germany : Online Master’s degree in Artificial Intelligence durain 16 2,298 10-26-2023, 12:19 AM