Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will College Support Your Passion?
Wouldn't more people be happier if they get a degree in a niche they'll enjoy, even if they may make less money throughout the lifetime of their career? 

I saw this video recently and enjoyed their discussion about considering if college supports your passion. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FW7rXancBrM
Completed:

Master's Degree, Coaching & Emotional Intelligence, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Business Administration, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Management, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Corporate Communication, Universidad Isabel 1
Professional Certificate, IT Support, Google
Professional Certificate, Cybersecurity Analyst, IBM
Bachelor's Degree, Liberal Studies (Management Minor), University of Maine @ Presque Isle
Honors Certificate, Business Writing, University of Colorado
Certificate, Inclusive Leadership, University of Colorado
Master Herbalist Certification, Academy of Natural Health Sciences

Yup, I know a gal who has a Computer Science degree and she really didn't like jobs related to this industry as they don't deal with people. She tried changing positions within the agency to be more "people centric", but still... They quit their high paying Computer Science related development/programming job and became a financial advisor for a bank making much less than before, that's because they're chatty/personable, and really like to converse with their clients, if she stayed at the previous company, she said she'll get bored with repetitive work... Many industries may pay well, but there's always "something" missing, people search for a better position all the time, some like to move up and others make a lateral move...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
It's not necessarily a choice between one or the other: see if you can find something that makes good money AND that you enjoy. Having a job you enjoy going to sure makes life easier, but so does making a good living. I'm not going to limit myself to choosing just one of those options.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I also think people's interests can change over time. I was very focused on Field Service Engineering and then Technical management. I now research history, anthropology and now visit those areas and write/create digital media of my interests. So for me, it's a personal responsibility as to what you do, and sometimes what you start in can finance a change later in life. So be flexible would be my advice. and do what you enjoy even if your finances change.
Our education has been used for years to travel the world within employment as an Expat. Pursue your dream, and never give up.
Studying Project Management, History, Business, Foreign languages, and culture. 
We post travel articles on my blog here. ExploreTraveler.com Also our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog
TESU BALS History Completion 9 CR Remaining & Dual Major BA.LSGM 2023 12 CR remaining
TESU BALS Social Sciences Confirmed 2019
UAF Foreign Languages German 2019 Finished 
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
(08-04-2021, 06:37 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Many industries may pay well, but there's always "something" missing, people search for a better position all the time, some like to move up and others make a lateral move...

I agree. After all, if you're going to spend 40 hours a week (or almost 3 months a year) at work, the salary shouldn't be the only good thing about the job. If so, a lateral move could be a better option.

(08-04-2021, 08:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It's not necessarily a choice between one or the other: see if you can find something that makes good money AND that you enjoy.  Having a job you enjoy going to sure makes life easier, but so does making a good living.  I'm not going to limit myself to choosing just one of those options.

I don't think no one wants to limit themselves, but sometimes it's not always possible. It's harder to find a job that satisfies both options in some parts of the USA. Some people can afford to relocate to areas with better opportunities and others will have to wait until they're in better financial conditions. For such people left to choose, picking passion over profit may suffice if they still can earn enough to take care of themselves and/or their family.

(08-04-2021, 10:02 PM)vetvso Wrote: I also think people's interests can change over time. I was very focused on Field Service Engineering and then Technical management. I now research history, anthropology and now visit those areas and write/create digital media of my interests. So for me, it's a personal responsibility as to what you do, and sometimes what you start in can finance a change later in life. So be flexible would be my advice. and do what you enjoy even if your finances change.

I agree. Regarding the change in interests, it happened to me too. I can't remember the name of the study, but there was one that showed overall happiness rises for most people up until $75,000 USD a year. Once a person has made more than that, their happiness no longer increased.

If one is fortunate, he/she can work remotely for a company in their native country, while living in a country with a lower cost of living. In such case, such person wouldn't even need $75,000 a year. Even a $40,000 a year salary would suffice in many countries around the world.
Completed:

Master's Degree, Coaching & Emotional Intelligence, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Business Administration, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Management, Universidad Isabel 1
Master's Degree, Corporate Communication, Universidad Isabel 1
Professional Certificate, IT Support, Google
Professional Certificate, Cybersecurity Analyst, IBM
Bachelor's Degree, Liberal Studies (Management Minor), University of Maine @ Presque Isle
Honors Certificate, Business Writing, University of Colorado
Certificate, Inclusive Leadership, University of Colorado
Master Herbalist Certification, Academy of Natural Health Sciences

(08-04-2021, 08:39 PM)dfrecore Wrote: It's not necessarily a choice between one or the other: see if you can find something that makes good money AND that you enjoy.  Having a job you enjoy going to sure makes life easier, but so does making a good living.  I'm not going to limit myself to choosing just one of those options.

I basically agree with this and I'll use a classic example to illustrate what I mean.  If my passion is to be a professional artist I can go to art school and get a BFA/MFA but I've just got to know that very few people can make a decent living at being a full-time artist.  One solution would be to get a business degree and use that knowledge to promote my art business.  Or I could get a degree Graphic Art and go into advertising, etc.  The point is that there are hybrid solutions to that problem, it's not really a black or white problem.  I once knew a guy who was a musician, had a good band, but they couldn't quite get themselves to the point were they could all leave their day jobs.  He worked in a hospital delivering supplies to all the units.  It was a job that required attention to detail and good social skills.  He had that covered.  He and the band played nights/weekends in the Boston area for years.  Eventually I lost track of him but he was pretty happy with that sort of arrangement.  It's all well and good to pursue your passions but sometimes it gets pretty old living in your moms basement.  At the same time, if you let go of your passion to make more money then you can become resentful/bitter.  Plus, as another poster said, people go through different stages in their careers and can often times find ways to combine aspects of those two worlds.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Inspirational Message - Embrace Your Potential and Ignite Your Passion! bjcheung77 0 78 Yesterday, 11:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 308 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 620 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP