Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coopersmith exams question (formerly TOR)
Does anyone have experience in taking exams with Coopersmith (formerly TOR college credits)? Can you detail your experience and how it works? Also I've looked for a link to their site and it doesn't look like they have Psychology classes/exams anymore. Am I at the wrong link? Course List |
They split with Tor - they are two organizations. Google Tor college.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
videogamesrock Wrote:They split with Tor - they are two organizations. Google Tor college.

I've checked out Tor College, but they only have Intro to Psychology. They don't have the two courses I need:
-History and Systems of Psychology
-Physiological Psychology
and the Coopersmith website doesn't have the Psychology courses up even though they are listed on the NCCRS site.
you have to find a local proctor, when they split with Tor they lost their online testing infrastructure.

I took history/systems of Psych with them (as Tor). You can still take it even though it's not listed, just call or contact them directly about it.

It was pretty bad. The "study guide" they give you is just a PDF that tells you to read the book cover to over without specific focus, and a PowerPoint of a dude reading chapter headings as "review."

The test focuses on insane minutiae instead of practical understanding of theory (think "Who was the president of the APA in 1929" type junk). It wasn't concerned so much if you understood the theory behind systems or why historical context mattered.

it was 30 questions and 8 short essays.

Honestly I'd pay extra and do a different option if I had to do it over, like the CSU Pueblo independent course
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
jsd Wrote:you have to find a local proctor, when they split with Tor they lost their online testing infrastructure.

I took history/systems of Psych with them (as Tor). You can still take it even though it's not listed, just call or contact them directly about it.

It was pretty bad. The "study guide" they give you is just a PDF that tells you to read the book cover to over without specific focus, and a PowerPoint of a dude reading chapter headings as "review."

The test focuses on insane minutiae instead of practical understanding of theory (think "Who was the president of the APA in 1929" type junk). It wasn't concerned so much if you understood the theory behind systems or why historical context mattered.

Honestly I'd pay extra and do a different option if I had to do it over, like the CSU Pueblo independent course

I looked up that course. It looks like it's the capstone for the Psychology degree, and you write four APA papers. Since it is a capstone, do you think TESU would accept it as a regular course?
Are you looking at the IS course here? https://www.csupueblo.edu/extended-studi...ology.html

It's just described as an independent study course there. I'm sure TESU would take it, but you can check with them.

TESU's own History/Systems of Psych course depends entirely on writing too, no exams http://www2.tesc.edu/syllabus/current/PS...Y-400.html

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

jsd Wrote:Are you looking at the IS course here? https://www.csupueblo.edu/extended-studi...ology.html

It's just described as an independent study course there. I'm sure TESU would take it, but you can check with them.

TESU's own History/Systems of Psych course depends entirely on writing too, no exams http://www2.tesc.edu/syllabus/current/PS...Y-400.html

I downloaded their fastfacts catalog and this is what it says about this course:

PSYCH 401
History and Systems of Psychology
3 Credit Hours
$525 Tuition

The historical development of modern psychology from its roots in classical philosophy and the social, cultural, and poli cal context within which psychological theory emerged. Prerequisite: PSYCH 100, 209, 209L and senior standing.

Course Description:
The purpose of this capstone course is to produce a historical and holistic overview of the discipline of psychology. The content of the course in divided into four parts each culminating in an extensive research paper.

Course Requirements:
This course requires the completion of four (4) APA Research Assignments.
That alone won't make TESU reject it, of course. Obviously it won't replace the TESU capstone. But it might be more advanced than one is used to.

I'd still rather do four papers than do that stupid exam again (and I say this as someone who passed without issue).

At any rate, if you decide to go the Coopersmith route, shoot me a PM.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

jsd Wrote:you have to find a local proctor, when they split with Tor they lost their online testing infrastructure.

I am sorry you didn't like the H&S of Psych exam.

Actually, I'm not going to argue with you on this one. The H&S of Psych are chock full of memorization. My specialty is in law and business and we are somewhat at the mercy of our course developers on some of these. I am confident that our other exams are much easier to deal with and are more practical. Unfortunately, H&S of Psych was approved by NCCRS as upper level while Research Methods and Human Growth & Development (easier courses) are lower level. Abnormal Psychology, also upper level, is easier and more practical. Physiological Psychology is also UL and is harder than Ab Psych though probably easier than History & Systems.

If someone needs an UL Psych course, I would strongly recommend Ab Psych, which I am sure you would not have the same reaction to. If someone needs another one, I'd recommend Physiological Psych, though I'd have to warn that it's also not an easy course. I am sorry that nobody explained this to you when you were taking the exams.

If I don't like H&S, why do we still offer it? Well, some people may need 9 UL credits in Psychology and so we want to keep options open. When our new website is finished (it's being worked on), this information will be there.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any other questions about Coopersmith courses.
Thanks for stopping by, it's great when we get to chat with the companies that we utilize so much around here.

Definitely don't stop offering H/S Psych, even if me or others have some bad things to say about it -- You're currently the ONLY test-out option available for it! My opinion is mine, I'm sure there are others who would be fine with such a course. Whatever you could do to make it better in your opinion when you're next up for renewal, have at it! But it'd be a bummer to lose a unique option.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sophia Spanish Touchstone Question JohnD 2 241 04-03-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coopersmith Linear Algebra Experience Live Zachcleigh 11 3,359 03-08-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: legenwait4itdary
  Question Promo Codes, SL vs Sophia Breaachh 11 761 02-11-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Breaachh
  Coopersmith Organizational Behavior - Upper Level? milah1 6 565 10-20-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Coopersmith Positive Psychology TwinMom 2 429 10-09-2023, 05:41 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Basic Question About Sophia Touchstones RachelB 10 1,922 10-09-2023, 10:46 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Straighterline Exams defscarlett 9 1,169 08-16-2023, 09:09 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Coopersmith proctoring rachel83az 23 3,986 08-06-2023, 07:54 AM
Last Post: shaas
  Study.com final exams lidel 15 3,255 05-23-2023, 09:51 AM
Last Post: Pats20
  What are Coopersmith courses like? lonelySamurai 0 563 05-16-2023, 05:26 AM