Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cosc - social media course as communication?
Does anyone know if "Intro to Social Media" from NMJC would count as one of the COSC Communication check box courses? My adviser at NMJC seems to think that's an easy course and suggested that I add it if I wanted to up my credits. My main goal is to complete my BS in Biology or some such concentration through COSC liberal/general studies degree. I have pell money available and not a lot of cash, so I'm going this route for now while I work on some of the really inexpensive courses (OD, InstantCert, etc).
(08-15-2019, 11:31 PM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote: Does anyone know if "Intro to Social Media" from NMJC would count as one of the COSC Communication check box courses? My adviser at NMJC seems to think that's an easy course and suggested that I add it if I wanted to up my credits. My main goal is to complete my BS in Biology or some such concentration through COSC liberal/general studies degree. I have pell money available and not a lot of cash, so I'm going this route for now while I work on some of the really inexpensive courses (OD, InstantCert, etc).

It's not going to count as "the" communication you need for your degree (speech) but it will still be a communication course which is a liberal arts / gen ed, so you can use it, but you still need speech which at NMJC is SE123.
That’s what I needed. Thanks!
(08-15-2019, 11:31 PM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote: Does anyone know if "Intro to Social Media" from NMJC would count as one of the COSC Communication check box courses? My adviser at NMJC seems to think that's an easy course and suggested that I add it if I wanted to up my credits. My main goal is to complete my BS in Biology or some such concentration through COSC liberal/general studies degree. I have pell money available and not a lot of cash, so I'm going this route for now while I work on some of the really inexpensive courses (OD, InstantCert, etc).

Not an answer to your question, just wanted to pipe in because I am looking at a Biology degree through COSC as well. (Haven't decided for sure yet.) I am looking at both the coursework and GRE subject exam options. Did you take your bio and chem labs at NMJC? I'd love to hear about your experience.

I can start a new thread if that's the appropriate thing to do ...
I don't think COSC has a BA/BS in Biology, they have Bio as a concentration for the Liberal Studies degree, which isn't the same.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-26-2019, 11:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I don't think COSC has a BA/BS in Biology, they have Bio as a concentration for the Liberal Studies degree, which isn't the same.

That is correct. It is a Bachelor of Science in General Studies with a concentration in Biology—or at least, that's what I was told when I asked for the exact name of the degree.

Whether that matters depends on what you want to use it for.
I haven’t done either class yet. I started with Geology at NMJC and am dropping it, the professor doesn’t provide lectures and is rude about answers coming directly from the textbook that she specifically goes back and marks incorrect on homework. 30 points of her marking my correct-per-textbook answers as wrong and I’m done. I know she teaches some of their math classes, along with the Oceanic studies course, but I don’t think she teaches the biology w/lab or chem classes. At this point I’m going to take everything I can through Study.com, followed by Straighterline (especially Geology, I had a high A before I decided to withdraw, but seeing it’s available through Study.com I decided to finish it there). I’m not working to get the degree as pre-med, so it’s not important to me to have traditional college credits for those classes. I might try again next semester with NMJC. I’m also taking their Intro to Oil & Gas course and don’t have the same problems with that course, it’s literally in who you get as a teacher.
(09-27-2019, 10:40 AM)bethanyneedsajob Wrote: I haven’t done either class yet. I started with Geology at NMJC and am dropping it, the professor doesn’t provide lectures and is rude about answers coming directly from the textbook that she specifically goes back and marks incorrect on homework. 30 points of her marking my correct-per-textbook answers as wrong and I’m done. I know she teaches some of their math classes, along with the Oceanic studies course, but I don’t think she teaches the biology w/lab or chem classes. At this point I’m going to take everything I can through Study.com, followed by Straighterline (especially Geology, I had a high A before I decided to withdraw, but seeing it’s available through Study.com I decided to finish it there). I’m not working to get the degree as pre-med, so it’s not important to me to have traditional college credits for those classes. I might try again next semester with NMJC. I’m also taking their Intro to Oil & Gas course and don’t have the same problems with that course, it’s literally in who you get as a teacher.

Thanks so much! That's too bad about the Geology course. I was interested in that along with Oceanography. I am not sure how private messages work here, but if you feel like sending me the name of that professor so I can avoid her, that would be lovely Smile

Since asking you, another user told me biology was pretty fun and the labs are not expensive or that complicated. I looked at the chem labs on Study.com and the lab fees are expensive compared to the chem lab fees at NMJC, but I am not sure if NMJC offers both semesters, and their labs are virtual—so if you want a hands-on lab, Study.com would be a better choice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  COSC Credit Registry Won't Accept Credly siege101 16 2,678 02-24-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Should COSC Lose Stand Alone Category Here? SophiaPrincess 23 2,744 01-21-2024, 07:12 PM
  Business and Managment BA COSC alt credit option ice.paint 6 728 11-24-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: withrown
  COSC New GE Requirements Emmalina 20 2,303 08-30-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: topdog98
  COSC DEI requirements SkMama 11 1,031 08-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC requiremnt for lab course and new Sophia Labs Kab 14 1,283 06-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  COSC Accepting few SDC credits scottlefoll 54 6,641 06-22-2023, 07:42 PM
  Do you have to write a lot of papers at COSC? MichaelD 10 2,161 08-06-2022, 11:17 AM
  COSC Drops Liberal Studies Concentration Tedium 6 1,879 03-15-2022, 08:41 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  COSC President and Provost on Accountability in Higher Education SteveFoerster 9 1,619 02-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso