Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cost analysis of big 3 - breakdown
COSC's website says that military students and their spouses pay the in-state application and enrollment fees, and that CGI/ESC Candidates receive a 10% reduction in cost. Completing a Military Degree with Distance Learning Courses at Charter Oak State College So, in my sample plan for a Psychology concentration, the total cost for military personnel would be:

Application fee: $75
Enrollment fee: $1015
DSSTs & CLEPS: $0
Graduation Fee:$205

Total:$1295

Well, that's as best as I can figure anyway. Add $130 to that if military persons do not get to take the GRE for free. If anyone knows more about the military cost at COSC, please help us out so we can have a good comparison. Thanks!
[SIZE="6"]~~ Alissa~~[/SIZE]
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="2"]DONE:
BS Liberal Studies, Excelsior College May 2009
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Current website favorite:
http://www.careeronestop.org/
You’re doing a great job with this.

I would like to go with the 3 GREs + foreign languages plan. I’m dreaming big!

Since I want to take GREs, I haven’t considered TESC. I am curious, though, I know that a second year of enrollment at Excelsior has a student service annual fee of $440. Does TESC have an annual fee for a second year?
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
alissaroot Wrote:COSC's website says that military students and their spouses pay the in-state application and enrollment fees, and that CGI/ESC Candidates receive a 10% reduction in cost. Completing a Military Degree with Distance Learning Courses at Charter Oak State College So, in my sample plan for a Psychology concentration, the total cost for military personnel would be:

Application fee: $75
Enrollment fee: $1015
DSSTs & CLEPS: $0
Graduation Fee:$205

Total:$1295

Well, that's as best as I can figure anyway. Add $130 to that if military persons do not get to take the GRE for free. If anyone knows more about the military cost at COSC, please help us out so we can have a good comparison. Thanks!

If you can handle 12 credit hours of COSC classes in addition to the testing, you could do a COSC degree for much less.

Application Fee (includes degree plan summary) $75
MPP Academic Services Fee $270
MPP Tuition rate per credit $220 (covered by TA)
Total $345+books

That may be assuming quite a bit though. You'd need to start 12 hours of COSC plus finish the other 108 hours by other means all in 12 months. Of course a second year at $270 wouldn't be so bad either.
EXCELSIOR COLLEGE
BS-LS: AoF Admin/Mgmt Studies
0 to BS in under 9 months

EXCELSIOR CLASSES (7 Credits)
College Math (A) Eng Comp (B) Info Lit (P)

CLEP (42 Credits)
A&I Lit-6CH (71) SS&H-6CH (66) Humanities-6CH (65) Mgmt (66) Marketing (66) HG&Dev (61) Info Sys&Comp App (60) Sociology (60) Psych (59) Business Law (55) Am Gov't (50)

DSST (57 Credits)
Found of Ed (67-A) Fund of Counseling (67-A) Intro to Business (65-A) Civil War & Recon (62-A) Tech Writing (59-A) Intro Law Enforcement (59-A) Principles of Supervision (58-A) Org Behavior (57-A) Environ&Humanity (53-B) Anthropology (52-B) Astronomy (52-B) World Religions (450) Substance Abuse (450) Ethics in America (447) HTYH (433) Intro to Comp (432) Personal Finance (422) Criminal Justice (409) Mgmt Info Sys (409)

ECE (21 Credits)
HR Mgmt (A) Cultural Diversity © Ethics © Organizational Behavior (B) Found of Gerontology © Psych of A&A © Social Psych ©

Up Next:
MPA @ AMU stating Sept 09
Joel Wrote:If you can handle 12 credit hours of COSC classes in addition to the testing, you could do a COSC degree for much less.

Application Fee (includes degree plan summary) $75
MPP Academic Services Fee $270
MPP Tuition rate per credit $220 (covered by TA)
[SIZE="6"]Total $345+books[/size]

That may be assuming quite a bit though. You'd need to start 12 hours of COSC plus finish the other 108 hours by other means all in 12 months. Of course a second year at $270 wouldn't be so bad either.

What a great bargain. I love this thread. There is some great money-saving info. in here.
[size="4"]"Whether you think you can or think you can’t, you’re right." - - Henry Ford[/size]
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
Is anyone up for doing a new version of this thread or updating this one? The price of ECE exams has gone up a bit, more UExcel exams are available (ideal for EC's Written English Requirement), and both COSC and TESC have modified the degree requirements since we did these plans. I'll do an updated one for EC (and probably COSC, too) if anyone's interested.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]
alissaroot Wrote:Is anyone up for doing a new version of this thread or updating this one? The price of ECE exams has gone up a bit, more UExcel exams are available (ideal for EC's Written English Requirement), and both COSC and TESC have modified the degree requirements since we did these plans. I'll do an updated one for EC (and probably COSC, too) if anyone's interested.

Yes, I'm interested! We are just about to apply and possibly enroll to EC. But, I still like TESC for me. Anyone out there wanna do TESC??

Thanks, Alissa. Smile
[COLOR="Teal"][SIZE="4"]Margo
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][B][B]"By endurance, we conquer"[/B][/B][/SIZE] [SIZE="2"] [SIZE="1"] ~ Sir Ernest Shackleton[/SIZE][/SIZE]
for a total of 18

CLEP done through 2010:
U.S. History II (66)
Analyzing & Interpreting Lit (70)
Introduction to Sociology (71)
Social Sciences & History (70)
College Mathematics (57) :o

Hoped for end result before arthritis sets in:
BA in Art, Liberal Studies, or Humanities[/SIZE]
[QUOTE=cookderosa][SIZE="4"]
Thomas Edison State College
cheapest degree possible starting from 0 credits

(as of 2/12/09)
[/SIZE]

Hi, im new here and just want to thank all of you for all the info its really helped me alot!
Would I enroll in TESC college after i take all the clep or is it more affordable to enroll then take the clep courses?
vsantos316 Wrote:[QUOTE=cookderosa][SIZE="4"]
Thomas Edison State College
cheapest degree possible starting from 0 credits

(as of 2/12/09)
[/SIZE]

Hi, im new here and just want to thank all of you for all the info its really helped me alot!
Would I enroll in TESC college after i take all the clep or is it more affordable to enroll then take the clep courses?
>>

there is no advantage to enrolling before you start earning credits. If you are taking financial aid, that will require you to take courses at TESC, but won't directly pay for CLEPs. I'd suggest earning your first 60ish credits on your own. The fee at TESC is yearly, so as long as you can finish your last 60 inside of that year, it will be the cheapest. Also, the plan I wrote is almost a year old- I'll look at it again, but costs usually change.
*******NOTICE: this is an old thread, many changes to TESC policy make this degree plan VOID**********
cookderosa Wrote:*******NOTICE: this is an old thread, many changes to TESC policy make this degree plan VOID**********
Good point!

And congratulations on becoming the Queen of InstantCert! Big Grin 2,000 posts of helpfulness is nothing to sneeze at.
[SIZE="1"]American Government (68) ~ Analyzing & Interpreting Literature (70) ~ Art of the Western World (72) ~ Astronomy (66) ~ ENG407: Chaucer (A) ~ Civil War & Reconstruction (69) ~ College Algebra (62) ~ College Mathematics (73) ~ College Writing (A) ~ English Composition with Essay (59) ~ GRE Literature in English (610/73%tile) ~ Humanities (75) ~ Introduction to Business (62) ~ Introduction to Computing (459) ~ Introduction to Educational Psychology (72) ~ Introduction to World Religions (478) ~ Introductory Psychology (74) ~ Money & Banking (48) ~ Research & Writing (A) ~ Rise & Fall of the Soviet Union (68) ~ ENG 310: Short Stories (A) ~ Introductory Sociology (77) ~ Social Sciences & History (76) ~ Technical Writing (67) ~ US History I (69) ~ US History II (64) ~ Western Civilization I (76) ~ Western Civilization II (65) Western Europe Since 1945 (65) ~ Exam Feedback

Total Credits: 121 ~ DONE: Literature in English BA from Excelsior College[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cost for an Associates Mitchmcc 3 1,348 05-31-2018, 05:12 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  What will be the cost to graduate? sarahrahul 2 1,183 05-17-2018, 12:50 AM
  anyone passed Excelsior quantitative analysis exam? how to study? dsstmfa 1 1,668 03-31-2018, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Jsheets15
  No cost to apply to Excelsior (EC) if... allvia 3 1,833 01-15-2018, 04:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Excelsior Quantitative Analysis Question HannahA 1 1,556 01-12-2018, 08:02 PM
  TESU BA Computer Science Ultimate Low Cost Help armstrongsubero 33 8,119 10-20-2017, 03:01 AM
Last Post: davewill
  COSC AS Cost and Help! armstrongsubero 2 1,667 07-02-2017, 12:49 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Benefits/Cost of registration early? inkleind 2 783 04-09-2017, 12:34 AM
Last Post: inkleind
  TESU CIS: System Analysis & Design tsimmns 8 1,200 03-09-2017, 10:26 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  BA Liberal arts cost Excelsior vs TESU? jb111 11 3,037 03-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Last Post: Flying-Ace