Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Costs for Competency-Based Bachelor's Programs as of 7/25/2020
I wanted to start this thread to let people know that the costs vary quite a bit.  And of course, every school doesn't offer every program, so you have to look at that before you look at the cost.  But if you want to compare apples-to-apples, then you can see what each program costs per week.

SCHOOL             PROGRAM                     COST              TERM             COST PER WEEK
NAU                     Personalized Learning    $3,000              6 months        $115
UMH                    MyWay                             $3,250             6 months         $125
Brandman            MyPath                            $3,200             24 weeks         $133
WGU                                                            $3370-$3845   6 months         $130-$148
APU/AMU            Momentum                       $2,500            16 weeks         $156
UMPI                   YourPace                          $1,400             8 weeks          $175
U of Wisconsin    Flex                                   $2,250            12 weeks         $188
Walden                Tempo Learning               $2,450             3 months         $188
Capella                Flexpath                           $2500-$3200   12 weeks         $208-$267
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-25-2020, 09:40 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I wanted to start this thread to let people know that the costs vary quite a bit.  And of course, every school doesn't offer every program, so you have to look at that before you look at the cost.  But if you want to compare apples-to-apples, then you can see what each program costs per week.

SCHOOL             PROGRAM                     COST              TERM             COST PER WEEK
NAU                     Personalized Learning    $3,000              6 months        $115
UMH                    MyWay                             $3,250             6 months         $125
Brandman            MyPath                            $3,200             24 weeks         $133
WGU                                                            $3370-$3845   6 months         $130-$148
APU/AMU            Momentum                       $2,500            16 weeks         $156
UMPI                   YourPace                          $1,400             8 weeks          $175
U of Wisconsin    Flex                                   $2,250            12 weeks         $188
Walden                Tempo Learning               $2,450             3 months         $188
Capella                Flexpath                           $2500-$3200   12 weeks         $208-$267

Maybe include what the colleges are that are abbreviated? Everyone doesn't know what the initials stand for. People come here all the time and don't become members so that can't ask. This is a great list. Maybe the admins can add a sticky note to it so it stays up top?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Vle045
Good work OP. I would love to see something like this for masters and doctorates
I hope you don't mind but I've put this information on the wiki so it can be found easily.
[-] The following 4 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • Clepper43, LongRoad, Pikachu, ss20ts
(07-25-2020, 01:14 PM)xspect Wrote: Good work OP. I would love to see something like this for masters and doctorates

If you're talking about competency-based masters and doctorates, the competency-based degrees are included above and there are no competency-based doctorates.

If you're just talking about a list of graduate degrees sorted by price, that is a tall ask. There are hundreds (thousands if you include international schools) of different degree programs out there and they can vary in price even within the same college. Even if you limit it to just online programs that is still a pretty huge list and would require a ton of research and time.

I made my own list of online doctoral programs based on the areas of study I am interested in and price range I am willing to consider, but I'm sure it is woefully incomplete because I still keep finding new schools to add to my list that meet my requirements. Even incomplete and highly focused, the list is still quite long.

Personally, I think doing the research yourself is probably ideal since while you're looking around the schools to collect the information you want you can also get a good idea of which schools appeal to you in other areas.

I have considered building a web crawler/scraper that could pull information off college websites to collect data on graduate degrees and pricing, but every college presents its information so differently. Digging around for stuff like pricing can require finesse so it would be a pain to figure out all the ways required to collect this info from each website. Plus you'd have to change it again each time they redesign their site. So I gave up on the idea... it was easier to just do it manually.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Thought of a school that's missing....Purdue University Global. They have a competency based program called ExcelTrack.
(07-25-2020, 10:56 AM)ss20ts Wrote:
(07-25-2020, 09:40 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I wanted to start this thread to let people know that the costs vary quite a bit.  And of course, every school doesn't offer every program, so you have to look at that before you look at the cost.  But if you want to compare apples-to-apples, then you can see what each program costs per week.

Maybe include what the colleges are that are abbreviated? Everyone doesn't know what the initials stand for. People come here all the time and don't become members so that can't ask. This is a great list. Maybe the admins can add a sticky note to it so it stays up top?
  • NAU = Northern Arizona University
  • UMH = University of Mary Hardin-Baylor
  • Brandman = Brandman University
  • WGU = Western Governors University
  • APU/AMU = American Public University (American Military University)
  • UMPI = University of Main at Presque Isle
  • U of Wisconsin = University of Wisconsin
  • Walden = Walden University
  • Capella = Capella University
There are a couple of obvious schools missing from that list like Purdue Global and SNHU (Southern New Hampshire University).

Keep in mind that this list is a moving target since many colleges are adding (or have recently added) competency-based online programs these days. That list includes the following colleges:
  • Rasmussen College
  • Mary L Hurst University
  • Broward College
  • Texas State Technical College
  • Salt Lake Community College
  • University of Michigan
  • Lipscomb University
  • Wilmington University
  • University of Texas
  • Tarleton State University (Texas A&M)
I'm sure there are a number of other colleges out there that should be on that list that I am not aware of as well.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
[-] The following 6 users Like Merlin's post:
  • jch, Muldoon, Pikachu, Prof.Gringo, rachel83az, ss20ts

Fantastic list!
Of these, I think Brandman, Walden and Capella are the only for-profit unis?
(07-25-2020, 04:40 PM)Merlin Wrote: Keep in mind that this list is a moving target since many colleges are adding (or have recently added) competency-based online programs these days. That list includes the following colleges:
  • Rasmussen College
  • Mary L Hurst University
  • Broward College
  • Texas State Technical College
  • Salt Lake Community College
  • University of Michigan
  • Lipscomb University
  • Wilmington University
  • University of Texas
  • Tarleton State University (Texas A&M)
I'm sure there are a number of other colleges out there that should be on that list that I am not aware of as well.

Thanks for the list! Moving target or not, I'll add those to the wiki as well when I've got time. It's good to have more information available.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Clepper43
is APU/AMU still offering Momentum? the last few times i tried to track down current information nothing was coming up.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Utah Schools switching to the 3-year Bachelor Airamb 6 120 9 hours ago
Last Post: RachelB
  PUG has removed some master's degree programs from ExcelTrack RbxFunRocks 28 1,041 03-09-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: PositiveBelgae
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,684 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  TAMUC RN-to-BSN Competency Based ReyMysterioso 8 446 02-17-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  TAMUC Competency Based Program List bjcheung77 85 12,242 01-12-2024, 02:42 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 14,968 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
  Is it possible to get a bachelor's degree in anything with mostly Sophia, etc? whiverem 19 2,255 06-20-2023, 01:16 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Amberton Bachelor's Experience? SCYankee 6 955 03-01-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Free or inexpensive HR Certificate programs learningthehardway 7 1,215 06-02-2022, 05:37 PM
  ECPI programs & videos... bjcheung77 0 548 05-01-2022, 12:49 PM