Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could I possibly finish in 2 years?
(05-16-2022, 09:11 AM)NAYANN1 Wrote: Hi - thanks for your response! First of all for next year I have plenty of aid and scholarships from UMN and I should hopefully for the following year as well.

Here are the actual courses properly listed:

AP Statistics, AP US History

Math 1271 - Calculus 1
Apec 1101 - Principles of Microeconomics
Writ 1301 - University Writing

Math 1272 - Calculus 2
Jour 3751 - Digital Media and Culture
FSCN 1013 - Dietary Supplements: scientific, regulatory, and cultural aspects
CSCI 1133 - Introduction to Computing and Programming concepts

Then this summer I will have STAT 3021 - Introduction to Probability and Statistics and Phys 1301 - [b]Introductory Physics for Science and Engineering I [/b]

I was wondering a few things about TESU then if I were to take that step:

1) would these credits transfer there and also because I am already enrolled in UMN how would I potentially go about transferring there?
2) Can the pell grant be applied there?
3) Is it all online?

Thanks again for your help!

1. You'd apply to TESU, selecting a degree (e.g., Bachelor of Arts) and area of study (e.g., Mathematics) on the application for which they'll evaluate your transcript(s). Check if you need an admission waiver based on age: https://www.tesu.edu/admissions/undergrad-admissions

2. Yes, but the amount for which you're eligible will depend on the number of credits you're taking each term. If you enroll, you'll also generally need to register in accordance with the financial aid disbursement schedule, which is every three months from the first time you register (e.g., Sept., Dec., Mar., June).

3. Yes, it is fully online and asynchronous.
Ongoing: MLIS

June 2022, Thomas Edison State University (TESU): Second degree - BA in Computer Science + ASNSM in Mathematics + Cert. in CIS + Cert. in Operations Mgmt.
e-Packs: Computer Concepts; Industrial Psych.
Guided Study: Comp. Architecture
Online: Intro. to PLA; Database Mgmt.; Software Eng.; Data Structures; Liberal Arts Capstone; DSI-610 (Statistics.com)

May 2019, a residential, RA institution: BA in Political Science and Educational Studies
Relevant equivalencies: MAT-321; MAT-431; STA-315
(05-16-2022, 09:29 AM)rachel83az Wrote: 1.) Yes, you should be able to transfer everything to TESU. Some of them, like Calculus 1, will go to the major/AOS. The others, like Microecon & Dietary Supplements, will go to electives.
2.) Yes. You may want to take 2 or 3 flat-rate terms of 9-12 credits each to spread out the money and avoid the $3192 residency waiver fee. If you do that, you might want to consider adding the Math degree, a couple of Associate degrees, or a certificate of some kind to give you more bang for your buck, so to speak.
3.) Yes.

Okay thank you so much.

So since I am already enrolled in UMN, how could I go about transferring there. Should I just wait after 1 semester? 

Also, in your opinion, how fast do you think I could finish? Could 1.5-2 years be doable?

Lastly, is TESU good for job prospects? I have some connections in the Minneapolis area to decent companies but want to know generally how easily I could get a job with a degree from there.
So for TESU, there may or may not be issues with Computer Science as a major, with alt-credit coming up in July.  But, I don't think you told us if you qualify for the Promise or other scholarship programs at your current school.  If you do, then you're better off staying there for free courses that can then transfer to other schools (like TESU).

If I were you, I would take courses that are required at TESU, or will work as CompSci UL electives:
REQUIRED - CSCI 4061 - Introduction to Operating Systems (4.0 cr)
ELECTIVE - CSCI 4511W - Introduction to Artificial Intelligence [WI] (4.0 cr)
ELECTIVE - CSCI 4707 - Practice of Database Systems (3.0 cr)
REQUIRED - CSCI 2011 - Discrete Structures of Computer Science (4.0 cr)
REQUIRED - CSCI 2021 - Machine Architecture and Organization (4.0 cr)
REQUIRED - CSCI 1933 - Introduction to Algorithms and Data Structures (4.0 cr)

The other thing I would keep in mind - while it can be faster to use alt-credit to get the degree at TESU, it is not cheap - you still have to come up with cash to pay for Sophia, Study.com, etc.  So your best bet is to get as much done at your school as possible that will transfer to other schools.  If you can take UL CS courses, that's really your best bang for your buck.  I might spend a year doing that, and doing Sophia on the side, and then when you're ready, you can apply to TESU, send all of your UMN credits to TESU, and send all of your Sophia/Study.com credits as well.  Then you can plan that degree.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(05-16-2022, 04:14 PM)dfrecore Wrote: So for TESU, there may or may not be issues with Computer Science as a major, with alt-credit coming up in July.  But, I don't think you told us if you qualify for the Promise or other scholarship programs at your current school.  If you do, then you're better off staying there for free courses that can then transfer to other schools (like TESU).

If I were you, I would take courses that are required at TESU, or will work as CompSci UL electives:
REQUIRED - CSCI 4061 - Introduction to Operating Systems (4.0 cr)
ELECTIVE - CSCI 4511W - Introduction to Artificial Intelligence [WI] (4.0 cr)
ELECTIVE - CSCI 4707 - Practice of Database Systems (3.0 cr)
REQUIRED - CSCI 2011 - Discrete Structures of Computer Science (4.0 cr)
REQUIRED - CSCI 2021 - Machine Architecture and Organization (4.0 cr)
REQUIRED - CSCI 1933 - Introduction to Algorithms and Data Structures (4.0 cr)

The other thing I would keep in mind - while it can be faster to use alt-credit to get the degree at TESU, it is not cheap - you still have to come up with cash to pay for Sophia, Study.com, etc.  So your best bet is to get as much done at your school as possible that will transfer to other schools.  If you can take UL CS courses, that's really your best bang for your buck.  I might spend a year doing that, and doing Sophia on the side, and then when you're ready, you can apply to TESU, send all of your UMN credits to TESU, and send all of your Sophia/Study.com credits as well.  Then you can plan that degree.

Hi - so yes I do qualify for the U-promise scholarship and some others as well. My entire next year is covered as of now with aid/scholarships including my room and board. 

Based on what you said - do you think it would be a good idea to go to UMN all next year and take all the courses you listed above and some more for maybe 35-40 credits? Then I can see if I can finish the UMN degree in good timing or try to transfer to TESU then?
@NAYANN1, as per my earlier post - again the more details the better. I'm sure you're too late to get extra AP exams in place, but if you did register for more AP exams, you could potentially transfer the to UMN, it's a better option than CLEP since only 3 are approved for transfer. TESU at this time may not be your best bet as Study.com may have been subject to discrepancies because of changes to their transfer...

By providing the information within the template, you can gauge and have a better picture of your situation as each scenario is going to be different. The info would lead us to providing you different avenues. I suggest the SNHU or WGU option for Computer Science if you have the energy, time to work on your courses, if you're working full time or have commitments, then TESU would be the better choice.

To answer your question, SNHU, TESU, WGU are all private or public/state universities. They are the go-to options for many members of this board due to the 90 or more credit transfer opportunities, UMN is restrictive in their transfer credit limits like many colleges, we recommend the ones that allow max transfer of alternative credits. You might want to also look at grad school, all of these mentioned will get you the "check box" for CS degree for entry into Georgia Tech, UT-Austin, or NYU, etc.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-16-2022, 06:46 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @NAYANN1, as per my earlier post - again the more details the better.  I'm sure you're too late to get extra AP exams in place, but if you did register for more AP exams, you could potentially transfer the to UMN, it's a better option than CLEP since only 3 are approved for transfer.  TESU at this time may not be your best bet as Study.com may have been subject to discrepancies because of changes to their transfer...

By providing the information within the template, you can gauge and have a better picture of your situation as each scenario is going to be different.  The info would lead us to providing you different avenues.  I suggest the SNHU or WGU option for Computer Science if you have the energy, time to work on your courses, if you're working full time or have commitments, then TESU would be the better choice.

To answer your question, SNHU, TESU, WGU are all private or public/state universities.  They are the go-to options for many members of this board due to the 90 or more credit transfer opportunities, UMN is restrictive in their transfer credit limits like many colleges, we recommend the ones that allow max transfer of alternative credits.  You might want to also look at grad school, all of these mentioned will get you the "check box" for CS degree for entry into Georgia Tech, UT-Austin, or NYU, etc.

Hello, 

Sorry I thought you just wanted me to list out my courses. Would you like me to add all of that information right here or on that other thread? Also can you please restate all the information you would like me to share? Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for being patient with me!
@NAYANN1, No worries, we're always here to help you.  It's alright, you're doing what you can and we'll try to guide you through...

Click this thread link, copy/paste the last post of mine, and edit it with your details: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 23 1,749 04-01-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: quanticmba
  Need to finish up fast channaleah 6 571 03-17-2024, 01:35 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Want To Finish Degree Quickly - Template & Addendum Complete FastEddie88 11 1,125 01-14-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: FastEddie88
  IT degree with A levels & 7 years of work experience Sherwood 74 4,626 10-28-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Looking for a BBA online doable in less than 2 years, with EU recognition MrNicky 4 507 10-22-2023, 02:02 PM
  63 credits. Please help me finish my bachelor's Confusedali 10 635 09-28-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: Confusedali
Information Web developer, with 8 years of experience and no degree k2rmh 3 319 09-06-2023, 08:46 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
Thumbs Up Nearing the finish line! Advice appreciated. TwinMom 16 1,052 07-24-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
Lightbulb Finishing a Degree 14 Years Later (Advice much needed) Nigmatix 10 971 05-25-2023, 11:49 PM
  Just Accepted To TESU w/ASA Degree (80 Credits Transferred) Cheapest Route To Finish? shudson0042 13 1,251 03-17-2023, 02:51 AM