Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Couple of Questions about COSC Degree Plan
I have a couple of questions to help me better plan out this degree with my son. He is 15yrs old and pretty gifted. He already has taken 11 classes at Sophia and 1 class at ASU earned admission. He is currently taking English Comp 1 at Sophia and will be starting the Computer Applications and Information Technology class at ASU next week, as well. He thrives on knowledge and self paced classes and just flies through the classes (he truly does learn things when taking them and can spit out information like crazy). I am helping him to plan out his Bachelors Degree since he is taking all these college classes already. 

1. Can your concentration/degree requirements fulfil your Ged Ed requirements? He's looking at COSC for a GS in ISS could the Intro to Stats concentration requirement fulfill the Math Ged Ed requirement? 

2. Can you double major and use the free electives from one major to meet the other requirement? The COSC GS ISS major allows for 44 credits in free electives to reach a Bachelors degree level (40 Ged Ed, 36 ISS Concentration) could he use the 45 major credits needed for the BSBA to fulfill those electives to get a double major (one in GS ISS and one in BSBA)? 

He isn't quite sure what he wants to major in just yet. He really enjoys computers (but not programming) but a general BSBA degree never hurt anyone and allows a lot of freedom. He will likely take the TEEX Cybersecurity classes as well just to get his feet wet there and see if he likes it. He is currently taking a Python class and we bought a few other classes in networking and such for him to do a well to see if he likes that. I figure taking classes in several different areas will help him narrow down more what he wants to do. The ASU class he took was a class called Habitable Worlds which was a lab science class that combined Bio/Astronomy/Physics and Chemistry to learn about what make a world habitable and if there are chances of this anywhere other than earth. He loved that class and flew through it faster than even ASU anticipated (it was a beta class for them) and had to wait to get credit until they made it so he could take the final. 

Any other advice would be much appreciated as Im new to planning out a degree. Thanks for the help.
COSC does NOT accept TEEX at all these days. The very short list of alt-credit providers that they accept can be found here: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...r_inst.php Excelsior also allows younger students (with some effort) and might be a better fit if you/he wants to take courses from places like Coopersmith or Davar.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I don't have any words of wisdom for you, but I wanted to commend you for taking such a vested interest in your child's education and helping him grow at a young age. I also wanted to suggest you look at LinkedIn Learning. He won't get college credit for the courses, but he will have the knowledge and their certificates. If/when he figures out a path he is interested in, he may also be interested in some micro degrees on Coursera or edX.
(01-05-2021, 07:50 PM)ss20ts Wrote: I don't have any words of wisdom for you, but I wanted to commend you for taking such a vested interest in your child's education and helping him grow at a young age. I also wanted to suggest you look at LinkedIn Learning. He won't get college credit for the courses, but he will have the knowledge and their certificates. If/when he figures out a path he is interested in, he may also be interested in some micro degrees on Coursera or edX.

Thanks. We have utilized many different options already for him that aren't necessarily for college credit. We purchased him some Comptia courses through icollege, we have used udemy and he is taking some Greater Course classes as well. Thank you for these other options for us to look through for him.
A few points you need to know: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...r_inst.php
Just a note: Charter Oak currently has agreements with the following organizations:
   AP/CLEP/DSST, CSM Learn, Saylor.org, Sophia.org, StraighterLine, Study.com

1) Basically - COSC will require 24 credits that are RA (from a Regionally Accredited college or university) and the cornerstone/capstone from COSC [yo! of course], so I suggest more TEL Learning courses instead of the ASU courses to save on cost, then do the remainder from Sophia.org and other ACE providers such as Study.com for Upper Level credits.  SKIP ALL NCCRS courses for now!

2) Essentially - The kid is young, in addition to the RA credits, I would recommend working on some other ACE providers, such as the CSM Learn, Sophia, Study.com and get two degrees instead of a double major, the difference is a BSBA & BSGS are two degrees (and in fact, it's what you're looking at), vs a BS Sociology and Psychology - single degree with a double major for example.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-05-2021, 08:38 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: A few points you need to know: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...r_inst.php
Just a note: Charter Oak currently has agreements with the following organizations:
   AP/CLEP/DSST, CSM Learn, Saylor.org, Sophia.org, StraighterLine, Study.com

1) Basically - COSC will require 24 credits that are RA (from a Regionally Accredited college or university) and the cornerstone/capstone from COSC [yo! of course], so I suggest more TEL Learning courses instead of the ASU courses to save on cost, then do the remainder from Sophia.org and other ACE providers such as Study.com for Upper Level credits.  SKIP ALL NCCRS courses for now!

2) Essentially - The kid is young, in addition to the RA credits, I would recommend working on some other ACE providers, such as the CSM Learn, Sophia, Study.com and get two degrees instead of a double major, the difference is a BSBA & BSGS are two degrees (and in fact, it's what you're looking at), vs a BS Sociology and Psychology - single degree with a double major for example.
I've never heard of TEL Learning courses. These are considered RA credits? If that's the case $200 is way better than $400 and I would rather utilize those classes. Thanks.
TEL Learning is self-paced, at $67/cr - although they have a coupon code TELhome15 which will give you 15% off. The nice thing is they are self-paced. My daughter is taking Biology now, she's good with it. It's well-organized. More work probably than ASU, but if he likes to learn, he'll probably actually like the courses. You also get to choose which school to use, I would choose Mid-America Christian University as their course equivalencies are better that the rest. Here's their website: https://www.tellearning.org/courses-on-demand/

If you enroll in the TEL MicroCollegiate Academy, and buy 5 courses in a bundle, then you can actually get the bundle for $500 (so $100/course). Only for dual enrollment (so no HS grads). Here's that info: https://mca.tel-education.org/enrollment-packages/ (not sure how strict they are on the 11th/12th grade requirement for that, so check first).

There are actually some other options that work for DE students as well (not yet graduated HS)

WVU - Early College/HS Access $25/cr
BYU-Idaho (online) - Concurrent Enrollment - $30/cr
Indian Technical University - Early Start/Dual Credit $30/cr
Mid-American Christian University - Concurrent High School $175/course
Grand Canyon University - Dual Enrollment - $52.50/cr (all 4cr courses)

There are rules for them, so your son may not be old enough to do some, but they're worth looking at.

And, if you're not following "Homeschooling for College Credit" either on Jennifer's blog or on FB, you're missing out on great resources and advice.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • jch
Just FYI: The TELhome15 coupon has expired. Hopefully, they'll have a new one soon. But the MicroCollegiate Academy bundle option is still cheaper than 15% off.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 5 73 3 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 109 7 hours ago
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,679 Yesterday, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 188 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,540 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 577 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 206 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 620 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,072 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 242 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13