Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Course Concentration
If I were do to a Liberal Arts concentration in Mass Communications at TESU, I take it that it would take me a lot longer since I believe those concentration courses aren’t available alternatively (SDC, SL, etc.)?  I tried searching, but I’m not really finding anything.  If not, that’s no big, as I will just do Section A (30 Credits — 15 UL) to knock out the degree as fast as possible.  I’m hoping to knock this degree out before September of next year, but we shall see.
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
(07-24-2019, 07:57 AM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: If I were do to a Liberal Arts concentration in Mass Communications at TESU, I take it that it would take me a lot longer since I believe those concentration courses aren’t available alternatively (SDC, SL, etc.)?  I tried searching, but I’m not really finding anything.  If not, that’s no big, as I will just do Section A (30 Credits — 15 UL) to knock out the degree as fast as possible.  I’m hoping to knock this degree out before September of next year, but we shall see.
Yeah most of the concentration isn't available via alternative credit. An option you could try is taking some of the courses at a CC. But you would have to be careful and it pre approved. It says some of them are UL om the website and if you take it at CC it would be LL. So you have to make sure that would work. And if you did some of it through TESU you might as well get at 16 total to avoid the wavier. And if you are going that route, it might make sense just to switch to a full communications BA. The communications BA is also not fully available through alternative credits so if you went this route it would be the same price for a better degree.
COM-120 Intro to Mass Communications I: not available through alternative credit take at CC or TESU

COM-121 Intro to Mass Communications II: CC or TESU

COM-265 Communication in the Digital Age: CC or TESU. might be hard to find at CC though

COM-330 Interpersonal Communication: study.com but it comes it as LL so check if it would work. Same goes with CC.

COM-335 Elements of Intercultural Communication: study.com has a course and despite be 300 level it transfers as 100 level. Check if it would work, same goes with CC.

COM-339 The Story of Human Language or
MAN-373 Managerial Communication or
MAN-376 Leadership Communication:

You only need to choose one of the 3 and study.com has 373 and 376. So no problem there. I also believe Davar has Managerial Comm too.

My guess is the LL probably won't work when  it lists specific courses. For certificates I know TESU is specific about course numbers. So you'd probably have to take some of the courses at TESU. CC credit will not come in as UL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • BrighterFuture88
(07-24-2019, 02:20 PM)natshar Wrote: COM-120 Intro to Mass Communications I: not available through alternative credit take at CC or TESU

COM-265 Communication in the Digital Age: CC or TESU. might be hard to find at CC though

COM-330 Interpersonal Communication: study.com but it comes it as LL so check if it would work. Same goes with CC.

COM-335 Elements of Intercultural Communication: study.com has a course and despite be 300 level it transfers as 100 level. Check if it would work, same goes with CC.

You only need to choose one of the 3 and study.com has 373 and 376. So no problem there. I also believe Davar has Managerial Comm too.

My guess is the LL probably won't work when  it lists specific courses. For certificates I know TESU is specific about course numbers. So you'd probably have to take some of the courses at TESU. CC credit will not come in as UL.

Thank you so much for helping me out with this!  I’ll just stick with the BALS and just knock it out as fast as I can.

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
You could either social sciences concentration, humanities concentration or science/math concentration. If you do all the paid TEEX courses for the AOS you'd be on your way to a social sciences concentration.

Those three concentrations have no spefic courses you need just some courses in that subject area.
(07-24-2019, 02:20 PM)natshar Wrote: COM-120 Intro to Mass Communications I: not available through alternative credit take at CC or TESU

Coopersmith has a communications course titled "Understanding Media, Culture, and Technology", which *could* work for Communication in the Digital Age.

BrighterFuture88, you may consider trying to earn the AA with an Emphasis in Communications alongside your BALS, if having something that says "Communications" is important to you. Depending on your existing credits, you might be able to knock it out without doing any extra credits.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(07-24-2019, 03:25 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

Coopersmith has a communications course titled "Understanding Media, Culture, and Technology", which *could* work for Communication in the Digital Age.

BrighterFuture88, you may consider trying to earn the AA with an Emphasis in Communications alongside your BALS, if having something that says "Communications" is important to you. Depending on your existing credits, you might be able to knock it out without doing any extra credits.

I believe OP only has the credits listed in the signature. Also I thought the AA communications was only for people in the Navy.

They don't even it on the rating roadmaps for the Navy anymore, so it might not be offered, it just has a regular AA but it used to be AA communications. I googled it and found this link: https://www.tesu.edu/military/navy/aa-communication

It also says 12 credits have to be taken at TESU.

My brother is in the Navy thats why I've looked at the TESU navy page so much.
(07-24-2019, 03:28 PM)natshar Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 03:25 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

I believe OP only has the credits listed in the signature. Also I thought the AA communications was only for people in the Navy.

They don't even it on the rating roadmaps for the Navy anymore, so it might not be offered, it just has a regular AA but it used to be AA communications. I googled it and found this link: https://www.tesu.edu/military/navy/aa-communication

It also says 12 credits have to be taken at TESU.

My brother is in the Navy thats why I've looked at the TESU navy page so much.
It is still a functioning option in the What-If tool, and there is at least one example from a few months ago on this forum of someone getting an advisor to add it for them (or maybe just to confirm it still exists?)

As for the 12 credit requirement, that is the standard residency requirement for an associates if you are active duty.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
Yeah I believe it is there just there to show they are there. All of the AA emphasis are for Navy only which is why you don't see them anywhere on the TESU website other than the Navy site.
(07-24-2019, 03:22 PM)natshar Wrote: You could either social sciences concentration, humanities concentration or science/math concentration. If you do all the paid TEEX courses for the AOS you'd be on your way to a social sciences concentration.

Those three concentrations have no spefic courses you need just some courses in that subject area.

This information really helps out!  I’ll aim for Social Sciences or Humanities for my concentration if that is the case.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 659 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Confusion about BALS with concentration transcript Raine 5 433 08-23-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 433 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  BA Management Concentration Equivalencies smohrs@gmail.com 9 796 02-19-2023, 08:31 PM
  90 credit limit - dual concentration Kones 6 877 02-02-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Kones
  BALS concentration or no Concentration desoren 4 933 09-27-2021, 08:48 AM
Last Post: desoren
  Can you add a Concentration after you've already graduated? Daithi 22 3,588 09-11-2021, 05:14 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  What else do I need for Liberal Studies w/ PSY Concentration? amberwalk 4 804 07-08-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
  BALS concentration question ARhead 3 1,151 06-08-2020, 10:43 PM
Last Post: ARhead
  TESU BALS no concentration - Criminal Law? mariorun 5 1,315 04-10-2020, 06:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore