Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Course Concentration
With UL courses offered by Study.com and other sources and the paid TEEX count as social science and not humanities. I think social sciences would be an easier bet. Humanities can be done, but there are a lot more UL options for social science.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • BrighterFuture88
(07-24-2019, 04:47 PM)natshar Wrote: With UL courses offered by Study.com and other sources and the paid TEEX count as social science and not humanities. I think social sciences would be an easier bet. Humanities can be done, but there are a lot more UL options for social science.

Absolutely.  I’ll definitely head towards Social Sciences then.  Thanks so much!
TESU September 2020 Graduate
Bachelor of Arts  in Liberal Studies with a concentration in Social Sciences

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
This how a concentration(Science/Math, Social Science, Humanities) at TESU works:

30 credits:

18 total credits in Concentration area (ss, hum, nsm)
12 additional Liberal Arts Credits
No more than 6 credits at 100 level

15 out of these 30 credits must be UL
and at least 9 UL out of those 15 must be in the concentration area

For no concentration still 30 credits:

15 credits LL Liberal Arts
15 Credits UL Liberal Arts
No more than 6 credits of those at 100 level

Note that I'm not counting the capstone as part of UL credits in any of these examples above. It is also required. When are enrolled at TESU just tell them you would like a concentration and let them know what it is.
(07-24-2019, 05:04 PM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 04:47 PM)natshar Wrote: With UL courses offered by Study.com and other sources and the paid TEEX count as social science and not humanities. I think social sciences would be an easier bet. Humanities can be done, but there are a lot more UL options for social science.

Absolutely.  I’ll definitely head towards Social Sciences then.  Thanks so much!

They're both easily available through alternative credit. The real consideration is which would be more interesting for you or which would be most helpful for your current or future career.
BALS-Humanities from TESU - June 2019

CLEP - A&I Lit, US History 1, US History 2, West Civ 1, Intro Sociology, American Lit, Humanities, Soc. Sci & History, English Lit
Sophia - Intro to Info Tech, Art History 1, Visual Communications, Managing Conflict, Building Effective Teams
Study - Personal Finance, Comm 120, Math 97, Bus 121, Lib Sci 101, Eng 104, Nutrition 101, Eng 105, His 108, Pol. Sci 102, Earth Sci 104, His 308, Bus 313, His 102, Eng 305, His 105, His 106, His 306, Geometry 101, Bus 324, Com 102
Institutes - Insurance Ethics
TESU - Cornerstone, Music History 2 TECEP, LIB Capstone

Further Credits - Sophia - Conflict Resolution, Enviro Science, Microecon, Intro to Stats, Into to Ethics, Found. of Stats, Ancient Greek Philosophers, Macroecon, Intro to Business, Project Management, Accounting, Art History 2
[-] The following 1 user Likes TexasTink's post:
  • natshar
Now, once I speak with my Academic Advisor, is it ok for me to fully admit to sticking with alternative options to obtain my credits, especially when I have my first evaluation, or should I approach it a different way? I just want to make sure that I ask the right questions and not have them give me any push-back since I have no interest in taking courses there (Other than the two I am required to take).

Sophia (3); Institutes (3); TEEX (21); CSM (3); CLEP (12); SL (45); InstantCert (6)Study (21) TESU (6)
(07-24-2019, 05:59 PM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: Now, once I speak with my Academic Advisor, is it ok for me to fully admit to sticking with alternative options to obtain my credits, especially when I have my first evaluation, or should I approach it a different way?  I just want to make sure that I ask the right questions and not have them give me any push-back since I have no interest in taking courses there (Other than the two I am required to take).

I'm not certain I would discuss this with your academic advisor at all.  There's no incentive for him/her to help you with this, so why bother?

Instead, I'd just move forward with your plans, and take your courses, and take a TECEP if need be, and then you're done until you need to take your final 2 courses with them.  I NEVER talked to an academic advisor, and I was enrolled for 3+ years there.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-24-2019, 06:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-24-2019, 05:59 PM)BrighterFuture88 Wrote: Now, once I speak with my Academic Advisor, is it ok for me to fully admit to sticking with alternative options to obtain my credits, especially when I have my first evaluation, or should I approach it a different way?  I just want to make sure that I ask the right questions and not have them give me any push-back since I have no interest in taking courses there (Other than the two I am required to take).

I'm not certain I would discuss this with your academic advisor at all.  There's no incentive for him/her to help you with this, so why bother?

Instead, I'd just move forward with your plans, and take your courses, and take a TECEP if need be, and then you're done until you need to take your final 2 courses with them.  I NEVER talked to an academic advisor, and I was enrolled for 3+ years there.

Yeah. I'm confused why you would need an academic advisor as well. All I was referring to was that if you go in as BALS no concentration and you wanted to add or change to a different concentration later, you just email them simply saying that you want to do so. No explanation needed. 

Honestly, this forum is usually more helpful than advising. The BALS is as simple to plan as they come.
There's no problem talking with advising. They won't kick you out or be hostile. They may not be as helpful as you might like, but they will answer direct questions, if they know the (correct) answer.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
The question was to make sure I knew what I was doing when discussing which courses carry over and taking the TECEP to ensure that I don’t have to take any courses there other than the two that are required.

(07-24-2019, 07:52 PM)davewill Wrote: There's no problem talking with advising. They won't kick you out or be hostile. They may not be as helpful as you might like, but they will answer direct questions, if they know the (correct) answer.

Not only won't they be helpful, they may actually give you incorrect answers that you will then have to come on here to find out the correct answer for, probably causing you needless worry.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 652 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Confusion about BALS with concentration transcript Raine 5 428 08-23-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 431 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  BA Management Concentration Equivalencies smohrs@gmail.com 9 788 02-19-2023, 08:31 PM
  90 credit limit - dual concentration Kones 6 865 02-02-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Kones
  BALS concentration or no Concentration desoren 4 929 09-27-2021, 08:48 AM
Last Post: desoren
  Can you add a Concentration after you've already graduated? Daithi 22 3,580 09-11-2021, 05:14 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  What else do I need for Liberal Studies w/ PSY Concentration? amberwalk 4 803 07-08-2020, 04:08 PM
Last Post: CarpeDiem8
  BALS concentration question ARhead 3 1,149 06-08-2020, 10:43 PM
Last Post: ARhead
  TESU BALS no concentration - Criminal Law? mariorun 5 1,312 04-10-2020, 06:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore