Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Course plan for BS in Psychology from Charter Oak
OK, my memory was a bit off- it's 18 credits for the GRE subject exams in Psychology and English, but 24 for Mathematics and Computer Science: 

https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...m-list.pdf
I was scheduled to take the Psychology GRE because I planned to finish my degree at COSC, but couldn't because the local university that was acting as the testing center was holding an annual event. I don't know who was at fault, but the school shouldn't have been on the schedule for spring testing. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't take the exam because it is only worth three upper level credits.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-09-2018, 02:18 PM)sanantone Wrote: I was scheduled to take the Psychology GRE because I planned to finish my degree at COSC, but couldn't because the local university that was acting as the testing center was holding an annual event. I don't know who was at fault, but the school shouldn't have been on the schedule for spring testing. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't take the exam because it is only worth three upper level credits.

It's still a major cost savings though.  And at the very least, the time it would take for the 6 exams you'd have to take to equal the 18cr.  Not sure on the time savings in terms of studying.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-09-2018, 02:21 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-09-2018, 02:18 PM)sanantone Wrote: I was scheduled to take the Psychology GRE because I planned to finish my degree at COSC, but couldn't because the local university that was acting as the testing center was holding an annual event. I don't know who was at fault, but the school shouldn't have been on the schedule for spring testing. Anyway, I'm glad I didn't take the exam because it is only worth three upper level credits.

It's still a major cost savings though.  And at the very least, the time it would take for the 6 exams you'd have to take to equal the 18cr.  Not sure on the time savings in terms of studying.

True, but at the time, it was faster for me to get the UL credits for TESU. I already had several psychology courses from a CC.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-08-2018, 10:55 AM)dfrecore Wrote: There's no real difference in the BA/BS for this degree that I can see (not usually a ton of difference anyway), so that won't be your issue.

I have a plan, based on the little I know about COSC - it may or may not work (I think the Gen Ed will be fine), but I've heard it is MUCH easier to work with COSC on getting advising than TESU.  So, if you go this route, you need to find out which courses will work ahead of time.  There are notes in bright yellow at the end of the plan.

Also, just an FYI, COSC accepting Shmoop may or may not be to your benefit - because if you end up having to take more expensive courses in the major, it may cancel out the cost of taking those Shmoop credits.  I don't think it will happen in this instance, but just make sure that the overall degree at COSC is going to be cheaper/easier/quicker than TESU before you make the decision.  Sometimes, it can be a matter or robbing Peter to pay Paul.  Don't let the Shmoop courses throw you off of a good plan.
Thank you for the course plan and for the thought about robbing Peter to pay Paul.  It seems that overall the TESU course is more certain and possibly cheaper than COSC.  That being said, several on this thread have decided to go with COSU over TESU.  Could you share your reasons?
(06-10-2018, 10:42 AM)ryanaryn Wrote: Thank you for the course plan and for the thought about robbing Peter to pay Paul.  It seems that overall the TESU course is more certain and possibly cheaper than COSC.  That being said, several on this thread have decided to go with COSU over TESU.  Could you share your reasons?

TESU is only more certain because more people on here have used them in the past 5 years or so (maybe a little longer).  So we know what things come in as (although it has been changing recently).

COSC became a bit cheaper to get through, they have much better customer service than TESU (I've yet to hear that a COSC advisor was an idiot or anything less than helpful, at TESU, advising is ridiculous), so there are plenty of reasons to use them.  I would go with whichever school will make it the easiest to finish.

So, apply to COSC and see their eval (it does NOT take a month like TESU), then ask about specific courses at Study.com and see what they say.  You may find that they will be just fine.  My only caveat is to check first before making a decision.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • zapproximator

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,342 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,866 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,774 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Charter Oak (COSC) maximum credits from one source nosey561 1 1,688 08-30-2018, 10:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Are there any Shmoop courses that Charter Oak will accept as upper level? nosey561 2 2,084 08-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Last Post: nosey561
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,323 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,680 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 2,918 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
  TESU BA in History Plan - Critiques? mysonx3 4 2,143 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA ckndinner 3 1,689 08-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Last Post: prolific_change