Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coursera/UoN Texas Bacherlor's of Applied Science
Has anyone heard of this at all? They seem to have the same transfer policy as WGU and very liberal allowance for sources of credit.

https://baas.unt.edu/home
https://www.coursera.org/degrees/unt-onl...completion

The final 30 must be done at Coursera through 8-week terms for about $9,900.

It's comparable to a TESU BS Technical Studies or BALS or COSC BSGS w/Concentration. For a degree from a tier 1 state University it may be worthwhile to spend the extra time and money if you can afford the time to do so.

Thoughts?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
University of North Texas is alright, they're ranked #241 on the US News site. I would recommend University of Wisconsin instead though as they are ranked higher at #46 on the same site. It won't really matter the rankings, I would rather look up the ROI and calculate that myself, essentially how much each program will cost me and how much I can gain from it the first year raise...

The main difference between the two programs most likely will be - one is competency based and the other is online class based, the other would be amount of credits transferable and which providers can be used (only community college, university, or will they accept ACE/NCCRS/CLEP/AP, etc).

I would actually recommend U of Wisonsin, not for their IT program but for their BBA as it's AACSB. They're in fact the cheapest competency based AACSB degree I have found. If someone can do the first three years at a community college and transfer in, it should only cost $5000 or less if you do this using their competency based model.

Now, U of Wisconsin has a competency based IT program if you want to compare it with North Texas.
Here's a link to their fees: https://flex.wisconsin.edu/degrees-progr...y/#tuition
Here's a recent post about Wisconsin: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...CBE-school?

Update: Wait, disregard that, I was thinking you're going for IT - U of W doesn't have an engineering competency program.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-22-2020, 10:42 AM)xicovu Wrote: Has anyone heard of this at all? They seem to have the same transfer policy as WGU and very liberal allowance for sources of credit.

It's comparable to a TESU BS Technical Studies or BALS or COSC BSGS w/Concentration. For a degree from a tier 1 state University it may be worthwhile to spend the extra time and money if you can afford the time to do so.

Thoughts?
If a BAAS is what you're after, I think APUS' BAAS in Technical Management is a better fit for you.

Cheaper than UNT's program at $285 per credit + $65 tech fee per course; APUS will also accept ACE credits AND the Penn Foster credits you're already accumulating.

Max credit transfer credit at APUS is 90 credits - with a 60 credit limit on non-traditional credits (ACE).

Another option would be ENMU's BAAS or BS programs in Electronics Engineering Techology- they also accept ACE and nationally accredited degrees. 

The downside is they only offer online courses towards these degrees in spring and fall semesters - no summer courses. Plus some required courses alternate which years they're offered so this wouldn't be a "fast" option (2 to 2.5 years minimum).

Although they're RA, they don't carry ABET; however they're cheaper than UNT's program - particularly if you carry a full course load each semester.
(03-25-2020, 06:00 AM)terryd5150 Wrote:
(03-22-2020, 10:42 AM)xicovu Wrote: Has anyone heard of this at all? They seem to have the same transfer policy as WGU and very liberal allowance for sources of credit.

Thoughts?
If a BAAS is what you're after, I think APUS' BAAS in Technical Management is a better fit for you.

Cheaper than UNT's program at $285 per credit + $65 tech fee per course; APUS will also accept ACE credits AND the Penn Foster credits you're already accumulating.

Max credit transfer credit at APUS is 90 credits - with a 60 credit limit on non-traditional credits (ACE).

Another option would be ENMU's BAAS or BS programs in Electronics Engineering Techology- they also accept ACE and nationally accredited degrees. 

The downside is they only offer online courses towards these degrees in spring and fall semesters - no summer courses. Plus some required courses alternate which years they're offered so this wouldn't be a "fast" option (2 to 2.5 years minimum).

Although they're RA, they don't carry ABET; however they're cheaper than UNT's program - particularly if you carry a full course load each semester.

Honestly it's mostly for the vanity of a University of X on my resume and a place to park credit until I manage to get a BSEET. University of Eastern New Mexico would be a really good one to look at as it's the same region that I'm in. With it being a BAAS and them accepting nationlly accreddited I should be golden. Now the questions is if I can easily use an Electronics Technician cert to clear the LL electronics engineering courses. Grantham said it should be doable so I'm hoping it is here as well.

I've definitely got a plethora of options in front of me. I know I'm going to go back and fourth over time until I pick one but this gives me a lot of paths to work with.

Thanks guys!

(03-25-2020, 10:42 AM)xicovu Wrote:
(03-25-2020, 06:00 AM)terryd5150 Wrote:

Thoughts?

Honestly it's mostly for the vanity of a University of X on my resume and a place to park credit until I manage to get a BSEET. University of Eastern New Mexico would be a really good one to look at as it's the same region that I'm in. With it being a BAAS and them accepting nationlly accreddited I should be golden. Now the questions is if I can easily use an Electronics Technician cert to clear the LL electronics engineering courses. Grantham said it should be doable so I'm hoping it is here as well.

I've definitely got a plethora of options in front of me. I know I'm going to go back and fourth over time until I pick one but this gives me a lot of paths to work with. No matter where I choose to put the credits it's going to be all Electronics Engineering courses it just depends whose cheaper and takes PLA credit the easiest.

Thanks guys!

Yes, the ENMU option would be better.  They do have pretty low fees and it's pretty comparable too.  They have several concentrations for the BAAS EET (Analog, Digital, or both) - Link: https://www.enmu.edu/academics/degrees-p...entrations

If you're missing *graded* courses, you can take them at NMJC, it's one of the community colleges that I recommend.  ENMU does have a BSEET too if you're interested - Here's the link: https://www.enmu.edu/academics/degrees-p...technology
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I think BAAS would be the easier way to go. Especially if the BSEET isn't ABET anyways, taking 90 and then having to do the 30 in the concentration would be pretty easy. My only worry with them is having to take a full semester course load, where as some other online programs have two course every 8 weeks. I don't so so well with lots of different courses at once.

(03-25-2020, 11:44 AM)xicovu Wrote: I think BAAS would be the easier way to go. Especially if the BSEET isn't ABET anyways, taking 90 and then having to do the 30 in the concentration would be pretty easy. My only worry with them is having to take a full semester course load, where as some other online programs have two course every 8 weeks. I don't so so well with lots of different courses at once.
Keep in mind that their BAAS is only open to people that don't already have a bachelor's; the BS is open to anyone.
I'll have to keep my options open, and now I've got a lot of them. I'll to talk to the engineers at my work here in the future and see what will actually work and what won't.

Thanks again, guys!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 218 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 210 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New Georgetown Coursera Bachelors smartdegree 73 9,007 03-18-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: SilentWarrior
  Coursera Certs Offline natshar 4 294 03-10-2024, 12:03 PM
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 175 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,204 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 509 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  Coursera & Edx - Peer Reviewed Assignments bjcheung77 7 933 01-09-2024, 12:01 PM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Coursera Plus for $1/month... Expires Sept 21, 2023 bjcheung77 7 1,196 11-22-2023, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Recommendations For 18 LL or 9 UL Social Science Credits harrypotter 3 381 11-08-2023, 07:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az