Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit Sources accepted by WGU, Hodges, NAU?
considering your son is in the 10th grade and has no experience I'd like to hear which school he gets accepted in and what enrollment problems he has

https://www.wgu.edu/admissions/it_requirements

https://www.wgu.edu/admissions/business_requirements
(09-15-2017, 03:48 PM)bluebooger Wrote: considering your son is in the 10th grade and has no experience I'd like to hear which school he gets accepted in and what enrollment problems he has

https://www.wgu.edu/admissions/it_requirements

https://www.wgu.edu/admissions/business_requirements
He won't be applying really soon, as he is just starting to complete his GE classes, but I will definitely keep the group updated. 

I have been looking into these application requirements already and hopefully we can get him positioned to be accepted by graduation at least. Still just trying to figure out the end goal so that we can get those details lined up for his desired path. That's why the head start at looking into options, not that I feel the need to have him tackle it all while he's this young.
As someone who recently finished their bachelors and I am now working in IT. But in my later 20’s I took a very strange way into IT.

This is probably a little disorganized but just read through it. I think it has a lot of valuable information that I wish I had known when I was younger.

I would do 2 things. First if given the choice forget about NAU and Hodges. I would focus on WGU and forget about the rest.

The reason is with a degree from WGU you are given an alphabet worth of certifications that will almost guarantee an entry-level position. It is also growing within the IT field so chances for networking will only get bigger.
So, your son is in the tenth grade. Depending on the path he wants to go it would be a good idea to explore the CompTIA Certificates. (these credits can be transferred in at UL credit at WGU.)
According to the CompTIA website there is no minimum age to sign up for the tests. They are not hard and can be done with a month of studying. If he does them back to back it’ll be even easier because the following 3 have a lot over overlap with each other.

When I went to Community College the classes for A+, Network + , Security + all used

Testout.com I am using it right now for my CCNA studies and I used it a little bit for Security +

https://www.wgu.edu/online_it_degrees/cy...lor_degree

In the above link 5 of the require certificates are
• A+ (CompTIA)
• Network+ (CompTIA)
• Security+ (CompTIA)
• Project+ (CompTIA)
• ITIL Foundation
These can be done with a month or two of study and are relatively cheap. If he can get a college email address he can go through the academic marketplace and the price is reduced by a hundred or so. I would ask if a high school email address would work or just get an .edu from Australia or something. I know there are ways to get a college email address if you are not there.

http://academic.comptiastore.com/Article...y=vouchers

But I would go for A+ first, that will give him experience with the hardware behind the computer and some basic operating/software tasks
The resources for this I would use Mike Myers Book A+ just google that
Followed by Professor Messer free Youtube Videos
He can also try the Testout Course which will provide labs, tests, it is basically like a course he would be taking at school or online. If you google “retailmenot” Testout you can get the course for about a 100. I think it is worth it. Because it lays it all out for you.

Network+ I would do the exact same as A+
Mike Meyers Network+ Book
Professor Messer
Testout

Security +
Darrel Gibson Get certified Get ahead Book – Must read
Professor Messer
Testout if you want. At this point he should know if Testout is useful.

I would also see if his school has a CCNA Networking academy track that he can take or an
Microsoft MCP/MCSA track that he could take an elective. That track will probably be 4 semesters long but will get him prepared for the CCNA / MCSA which will land him a good entry level job.

If so he should be taking them.

Other resources: Techexams.net like this forum but for tech exams.

Also side note: make sure with all this studying/stuff that he is volunteering. Perhaps at a local church, or local elementary school. Something that he can add to his resume for when he is 18. Has a degree and an alphabet soup worth of certifications.

Once get gets his A+ maybe he could start making side money by advertising on one of those local community apps such as Nextdoor neighbor saying he is willing to help anyone and everyone with their computer issues.
A lot of time people have issues with computers and it is simple fixes like replacing the hard drive or reinstalling windows.

Or possibly he could work summer internships for the government. Look for pathways programs/ things like that on USAJobs.

Oh and take a Linux and intro to programming course.
TESU BSBA (Dual Degree)
Computer Information Systems
General Management

Completed June 2017

For those wondering:
CIS AOS-
TEEX- Bus for IT + IT Professional = 4 UL
Study.com- Digital Marketing = 3 UL
University- Hardware Support Esentials = 4 LL C
Ed4credit- MIS = 3 UL C
SL- C++ Programming 4 UL
CSU Global - System Analysis & Design = 3 C

Gen Man AOS-
Study.com- HRM, Digital Marketing,
SL - Cost Accounting, Managerial Accounting, Organzitional Behavior.
DAU- Contact Administration, Defense Procurement Management

[-] The following 2 users Like yb1's post:
  • quigongene, Yenisei
(09-16-2017, 09:34 AM)yb1 Wrote: This is probably a little disorganized but just read through it. I think it has a lot of valuable information that I wish I had known when I was younger.

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this! It is the exact kind of advice I need.  I will probably have follow up questions once I digest the information....super, super helpful.
(09-16-2017, 09:34 AM)yb1 Wrote: In the above link 5 of the require certificates are
• A+ (CompTIA)
• Network+ (CompTIA)
• Security+ (CompTIA)
• Project+ (CompTIA)
• ITIL Foundation
These can be done with a month or two of study and are relatively cheap. If he can get a college email address he can go through the academic marketplace and the price is reduced by a hundred or so. I would ask if a high school email address would work or just get an .edu from Australia or something. I know there are ways to get a college email address if you are not there.

Regarding discounted vouchers for CompTIA, ask your son's school if they are a CompTIA Academy Partner. If your school district has an IT/vocational/career/tech program for high school students, it's likely they are already a CompTIA Academy Partner. Vouchers bought through the school will be discounted. Some are about half price, so it's definitely worth checking into. https://partners.comptia.org/become-a-pa...my-partner
[-] The following 1 user Likes lismith's post:
  • Yenisei

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Additional Google Certificates Approved for ACE Credit MNomadic 8 947 02-02-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  Sophia Credit Transfer StudyKing21 1 500 01-19-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 676 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 822 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
  Study.com: Upcoming Changes to Credit-Granting Courses inf 28 3,785 09-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,518 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  TADA credit NapoleonInRags 16 1,879 05-05-2023, 11:11 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ACE Credit Recommended Professional Cook Certification lumina 5 1,022 01-26-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: bellbaby
  Online Self-Paced Certified Personal Trainer course ($19.99/month) worth 3 ACE credit MNomadic 1 932 01-07-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Education and alternative credit platforms Londinium7 0 616 10-31-2022, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Londinium7