Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit banking at Excelsior college
Hi All, I'm new to this forum and will appreciate any sort of help here.

I already have a bachelor's degree from 4 years-college with 135 credits. To be licensed for CPA in the State of NY, I need to have 150 credits in total. Did some research and sounds like the easiest/cheapest method for me would be to take CLEP/DSST exams and have Excelsior College issue a transcript with the CLEP/DSST test results.

This is where I'm slightly confused... How do I go about this process? Do I apply to Excelsior College as a non-degree student? Or is this (credit banking) a service that's offered from Excelsior College without having to apply? 

Also, do i need to transfer my 135 credits from my college? Or do I just request my 15 credit equivalent- DSST/CLEP scores to be sent to Excelsior? 

Any guidance in this process would help. Thanks in advance.
You're thinking about the OneTranscript Service:

https://www.excelsior.edu/support-resour...ranscript/

You need a MyExcelsior account, but you don't need to actually enroll. That's for students who plan on taking courses or will graduate.

However! You might want to contact someone in New York with your plan before you start doing anything in case anything has changed.

Also, there may be cheaper ways to do this -- for example, registering at TESU. In some states, you may be able to send in the ACE transcripts without using a credit banking service.
OnlineDegree
Intro to Marketing and Strategy ($9) | Intro to Microeconomics ($9)

Study
Intro to Managerial Accounting ($70) | Advanced Accounting ($70) | Managerial Accounting ($80) | Intermediate Accounting 2 ($90) | Intermediate Accounting I ($90) | Cybersecurity Policies & Management ($80) | Management Information Systems ($80) | Data Structures & Algorithms ($80) | Intro to Programming ($70) | Computer Architecture ($70) | Calculus ($80) Database Management ($80)
Systems Analysis & Design ($70) | Discrete Math ($80) | Intro to Operation Systems ($80)

Saylor.org
Intro to Computer Science I ($25)
(09-03-2019, 04:37 PM)sora1505 Wrote: Hi All, I'm new to this forum and will appreciate any sort of help here.

I already have a bachelor's degree from 4 years-college with 135 credits. To be licensed for CPA in the State of NY, I need to have 150 credits in total. Did some research and sounds like the easiest/cheapest method for me would be to take CLEP/DSST exams and have Excelsior College issue a transcript with the CLEP/DSST test results.

This is where I'm slightly confused... How do I go about this process? Do I apply to Excelsior College as a non-degree student? Or is this (credit banking) a service that's offered from Excelsior College without having to apply? 

Also, do i need to transfer my 135 credits from my college? Or do I just request my 15 credit equivalent- DSST/CLEP scores to be sent to Excelsior? 

Before you do anything, double-check - I thought you couldn't use CLEP / DSST toward the 150 CPA requirement in New York?
(09-04-2019, 01:57 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 04:37 PM)sora1505 Wrote: Hi All, I'm new to this forum and will appreciate any sort of help here.

Before you do anything, double-check - I thought you couldn't use CLEP / DSST toward the 150 CPA requirement in New York?

https://nasba.org/exams/cpaexam/newyork/

• Correspondence, CLEP credit, CPA Review courses and online courses are acceptable when you receive credit for the courses at a regionally accredited college or university. These courses must appear on an official transcript.
[-] The following 2 users Like sora1505's post:
  • cookderosa, Life Long Learning
(09-04-2019, 08:34 PM)sora1505 Wrote:

• Correspondence, CLEP credit, CPA Review courses and online courses are acceptable when you receive credit for the courses at a regionally accredited college or university. These courses must appear on an official transcript.

In that case, don't mess with a credit bank. I haven't seen one of the documents in years, however, when I last did, it wasn't an official transcript.
I believe the cheapest and most direct path is to simply fill out a college application (community college would work) and start racking up CLEP credit there. It will certainly be on an RA transcript. You can indicate on your application that you are not degree seeking - that usually waives the need for testing, prior transcripts, and the typical hoops. You should be good to go in days not months (and for free).
(09-04-2019, 09:34 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 08:34 PM)sora1505 Wrote:

In that case, don't mess with a credit bank.  I haven't seen one of the documents in years, however, when I last did, it wasn't an official transcript.  
I believe the cheapest and most direct path is to simply fill out a college application (community college would work) and start racking up CLEP credit there.  It will certainly be on an RA transcript.  You can indicate on your application that you are not degree seeking - that usually waives the need for testing, prior transcripts, and the typical hoops.  You should be good to go in days not months (and for free).

I second that. If you have to take a class at the community college for it to appear on a transcript then take a 1 credit course. The local CC's near me offer 1 credit courses that are a weekend seminar in college orientation and also self-paced 1 credit courses as well.  Hopefully, you won't have to take a course though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 190 7 hours ago
Last Post: Robinred2404
  Degree Planning Advice For Research (Upper Level) Credit Dnightowl 4 490 01-30-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Has excelsior accepted CSM math recently? CM1999 6 916 01-11-2024, 10:16 PM
  So disappointed in Excelsior. Should I bail or suck it up for the last class? profstudent 22 5,535 12-06-2023, 02:03 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  New Change to Enrollment at Excelsior U. -- Not Good milah1 12 1,612 10-20-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: frankc
  List of Sophia Classes that count as UL Credit Niketay 2 1,041 07-07-2023, 11:05 AM
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,258 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Excelsior University to Ivey League ----> RichestLiberalArtsMajor 5 1,320 06-06-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: IReallyNeedADegree
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,044 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior Capstone Risa 6 1,713 04-30-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: new2this