Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit banking at Excelsior college
Hi All, I'm new to this forum and will appreciate any sort of help here.

I already have a bachelor's degree from 4 years-college with 135 credits. To be licensed for CPA in the State of NY, I need to have 150 credits in total. Did some research and sounds like the easiest/cheapest method for me would be to take CLEP/DSST exams and have Excelsior College issue a transcript with the CLEP/DSST test results.

This is where I'm slightly confused... How do I go about this process? Do I apply to Excelsior College as a non-degree student? Or is this (credit banking) a service that's offered from Excelsior College without having to apply? 

Also, do i need to transfer my 135 credits from my college? Or do I just request my 15 credit equivalent- DSST/CLEP scores to be sent to Excelsior? 

Any guidance in this process would help. Thanks in advance.
You're thinking about the OneTranscript Service:

https://www.excelsior.edu/support-resour...ranscript/

You need a MyExcelsior account, but you don't need to actually enroll. That's for students who plan on taking courses or will graduate.

However! You might want to contact someone in New York with your plan before you start doing anything in case anything has changed.

Also, there may be cheaper ways to do this -- for example, registering at TESU. In some states, you may be able to send in the ACE transcripts without using a credit banking service.
Udi's Completed Courses (for credit)

7/01/2019: Study - Cybersecurity Policies and Management
6/27/2019: Study - Management Information Systems ($80)
6/23/2019: Study - Data Structures and Algorithms ($80)
6/18/2019: Study - Intro to Programming ($70)
6/11/2019: Study - Computer Architecture ($70)
6/07/2019: Study - Calculus ($80)
5/29/2019: Study - Computer Science 303: Database Management ($80)
4/25/2019: Study - Systems Analysis & Design ($70)
4/22/2019: Study - Discrete Math ($80)
4/15/2019: Study - Intro to Operation Systems ($80)
3/15/2019: Saylor - Introduction to Computer Science I ($25)
(09-03-2019, 04:37 PM)sora1505 Wrote: Hi All, I'm new to this forum and will appreciate any sort of help here.

I already have a bachelor's degree from 4 years-college with 135 credits. To be licensed for CPA in the State of NY, I need to have 150 credits in total. Did some research and sounds like the easiest/cheapest method for me would be to take CLEP/DSST exams and have Excelsior College issue a transcript with the CLEP/DSST test results.

This is where I'm slightly confused... How do I go about this process? Do I apply to Excelsior College as a non-degree student? Or is this (credit banking) a service that's offered from Excelsior College without having to apply? 

Also, do i need to transfer my 135 credits from my college? Or do I just request my 15 credit equivalent- DSST/CLEP scores to be sent to Excelsior? 

Before you do anything, double-check - I thought you couldn't use CLEP / DSST toward the 150 CPA requirement in New York?
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Applied Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit
(09-04-2019, 01:57 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(09-03-2019, 04:37 PM)sora1505 Wrote: Hi All, I'm new to this forum and will appreciate any sort of help here.

Before you do anything, double-check - I thought you couldn't use CLEP / DSST toward the 150 CPA requirement in New York?

https://nasba.org/exams/cpaexam/newyork/

• Correspondence, CLEP credit, CPA Review courses and online courses are acceptable when you receive credit for the courses at a regionally accredited college or university. These courses must appear on an official transcript.
[-] The following 2 users Like sora1505's post:
  • cookderosa, Life Long Learning
(09-04-2019, 08:34 PM)sora1505 Wrote:

• Correspondence, CLEP credit, CPA Review courses and online courses are acceptable when you receive credit for the courses at a regionally accredited college or university. These courses must appear on an official transcript.

In that case, don't mess with a credit bank. I haven't seen one of the documents in years, however, when I last did, it wasn't an official transcript.
I believe the cheapest and most direct path is to simply fill out a college application (community college would work) and start racking up CLEP credit there. It will certainly be on an RA transcript. You can indicate on your application that you are not degree seeking - that usually waives the need for testing, prior transcripts, and the typical hoops. You should be good to go in days not months (and for free).
Jennifer
10-year member

MS Applied Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, NY
Premed/Prenursing Sciences, 2011 Ocean County College, NJ
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit
(09-04-2019, 09:34 PM)cookderosa Wrote:
(09-04-2019, 08:34 PM)sora1505 Wrote:

In that case, don't mess with a credit bank.  I haven't seen one of the documents in years, however, when I last did, it wasn't an official transcript.  
I believe the cheapest and most direct path is to simply fill out a college application (community college would work) and start racking up CLEP credit there.  It will certainly be on an RA transcript.  You can indicate on your application that you are not degree seeking - that usually waives the need for testing, prior transcripts, and the typical hoops.  You should be good to go in days not months (and for free).

I second that. If you have to take a class at the community college for it to appear on a transcript then take a 1 credit course. The local CC's near me offer 1 credit courses that are a weekend seminar in college orientation and also self-paced 1 credit courses as well.  Hopefully, you won't have to take a course though.
Earned: AA, AAS, AGS
145+ credits
Bachelors Degree May 2020

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior Information Literacy substitution? dfwdegree 17 469 10 hours ago
Last Post: dfwdegree
  TESU | Your tuition plan is $1422 per course and $474 per credit. akr680 2 121 Yesterday, 12:32 AM
Last Post: shadowgem
  Input on Excelsior Clepper43 7 312 10-18-2019, 10:17 AM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  Is my Excelsior admissions counselor wrong, or is Excelsior no longer "Big 3"? wow 18 620 10-17-2019, 06:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  FCC and Excelsior mdel210201 1 133 10-17-2019, 06:40 PM
  Excelsior and Frederick mdel210201 1 93 10-17-2019, 03:13 PM
Last Post: udi
  TESU - BSBA CIS - AOS - UL CREDIT akr680 22 386 10-16-2019, 01:44 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Capstones at Excelsior diminutive 1 148 10-09-2019, 03:47 PM
  Excelsior Takes FEMA on OneTranscript eriehiker 0 127 10-05-2019, 06:13 PM
Last Post: eriehiker
  COSC vs Excelsior cost homeschoolmom1 28 1,457 10-05-2019, 04:46 PM