Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit for Industry Certs
I've been reading a couple of threads this afternoon and seeing the back and forth bickering that's been going on. All I can say is I think we have our very first internet troll on this site. Does that mean it's hit the bigtime? Anyway, sorry for the off-topic. Proceed...
[SIZE="1"]Ana
[COLOR="DarkRed"]96 credits completed (93 by exam)
BS in General Business, Excelsior College (33 credits remaining)
Next exams: DSST Statistics, DSST Business Law 2
Recently taken: DSST Drug/Alcohol (61), CLEP French (63), ECE Gerontology (B Sad), DSST MIS (65), DSST Counseling (54), DSST Ethics (63)[/SIZE][/COLOR]
SimonTam Wrote:I accept your challenge. FSU (Florida State University, you may have heard of them) offers a Bachelor of Science in Computer and Information Sciences which can be done ONLINE! I'll accept the fact that you cannot 'test out' of this degree. However, it can be done at a distance and the degree is no different from the traditional degree. BTW, FSU's School of Engineering is ABET accredited. EDITED (added the following): Also, this is more than just looking at a website. I have a friend that is currently IN this program. :END EDIT

Now, the accreditation that most of the others here have been trying to explain to you is what is known as regional accreditation. This type of accreditation covers the entire school. I agree that ABET accreditation is important for an Engineering program at a school, but that doesn't mean that a regional accreditation is useless. For your information, regional accreditation authorities are not 'made up' by the schools. They are verified to meet the standards of accrediting organization under the CHEA. Excelsior received it's accreditation from the Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges (http://www.msche.org). BTW, this is the exact same accreditation organization with which Princeton University (you may have heard of them too) is accredited.

There are some accreditation bodies that are 'made up' by degree mills and accreditation mills. To verify that a school is a legitimate school, you would have to ensure that the CHEA first recognizes the accreditation organization and then check with the accreditation organization to see if the school is truly accredited.

Hope that clears it up for you.

Notice how I said test out of. But I would still like to see where it says you can complete the ENTIRE IT degree online at FSU. So, please link me. No one goes by that accreddiation, practically every school atleast state funded recieves this accrediation (tax breaks etc). This has no bearing on industry standards or anything else. Employers are going to look at your specific program. COMMON SENSE: If you have a IT BS, the employer is not going to look and see if the nursing department is accreddited.
anar579 Wrote:I've been reading a couple of threads this afternoon and seeing the back and forth bickering that's been going on. All I can say is I think we have our very first internet troll on this site. Does that mean it's hit the bigtime? Anyway, sorry for the off-topic. Proceed...

I do not see where your logic is coming from? You are calling me a troll because I disagree with these people. I am simply voicing my opinion, if you take offense to it, then simply do not read it. Remember, I am not the one making false promises to you, your school is Smile.
anar579 Wrote:I've been reading a couple of threads this afternoon and seeing the back and forth bickering that's been going on. All I can say is I think we have our very first internet troll on this site. Does that mean it's hit the bigtime? Anyway, sorry for the off-topic. Proceed...

Hi Ana,

I was reading up on this subject last night and started an off topic thread this morning titled, "Netiquette." I probably should have titled it "Internet Troll."

Librevore
Kate
BS Psychology
Librevore Wrote:Hi Ana,

I was reading up on this subject last night and started an off topic thread this morning titled, "Netiquette." I probably should have titled it "Internet Troll."

Librevore

That is fine, I will just keep to myself next time. Sorry Smile After all it was pretty stupid on my part to bring these points/issues up on a forum filled with distance learners!
spazz Wrote:Notice how I said test out of.

Notice how I said I would accept the fact that you can't 'test out' of this degree. Yes, you did have the 'test out of' in your sentence, but you have basically been belittling distance education as a whole.

spazz Wrote:But I would still like to see where it says you can complete the ENTIRE IT degree online at FSU. So, please link me.

http://online.fsu.edu/

http://online.fsu.edu/student/degree/exp...m/undergr/

spazz Wrote:No one goes by that accreddiation, practically every school atleast state funded recieves this accrediation (tax breaks etc). This has no bearing on industry standards or anything else. Employers are going to look at your specific program. COMMON SENSE: If you have a IT BS, the employer is not going to look and see if the nursing department is accreddited.

Sorry, you are wrong here. In my experience, schools and employers look at regional accreditation FIRST. After that, they may, in certain instances and for some degrees, look at a specific program accreditation. Also, not every school receives a regional accreditation. I will agree that state-funded institutions do get this accreditation, but that is probably because the state requires it in order for the school to receive funding (that should tell you something there).

I have friends who are in Human Resources and I can tell you that they look at regional accreditation. I also have friends in Engineering and IT. They also look at regional accreditation of a school first and then to any additional accreditations. That has been my experience.

BTW, I am 40 yrs old and am currently employed in the IT field. I've written programs for embedded systems, PCs and PDAs. I mainly write in C++, but I also know Java, Fortran, Cobol and Perl to name a few. I attended college many years ago, but at the time, I was young and impatient. Now, I'm older and still impatient. I know what the job market is like and I know that I can get another job in this field using experience (15+ years as a system programmer). However, I have always wanted to complete a degree and maybe try another field. That is why I am here. Distance education is becoming more widely accepted than you believe. At least, from reading your posts, it seems that you believe that distance education is an impossibility. But for some of us, it is the only option. Time constraints brought on by family and job responsibilities are usually the limiting factors. While I am not going to get an IT degree from Excelsior, I am going to knock out all of my basic courses for a degree using as much distance education as I can.

Some more links for you.

http://online.ucf.edu/programs/ist_bs.html

http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/online/

http://www.wku.edu/cit/

All of the above are ABET accredited. Smile
SimonTam..

I don't believe you, you're way to young to know cobol and fortran! hilarious
BLS CIS & Psychology Excelsior, MS IT & MS IM Aspen University, Pursuing MBA Columbia Southern.
siersema Wrote:SimonTam..

I don't believe you, you're way to young to know cobol and fortran! hilarious
I concur!hilarious
Dawn
Taking the Road Less Traveled
The Journey of A Thousand Miles Starts with The First CLEP

BS-Psychology - Excelsior College
Enrolled in the School of Business, BS in Accounting
After MIS I'll be halfway there!
72 CLEP Credits, 21 DSST Credits, 25 ECE Credits (Including Inf Lit), 6 TESC Credits, 2 FEMA Credits = 126 Total
Withholding 6 Credits for Accounting = 120 for Psychology
12 credits completed toward my accounting degree
SimonTam Wrote:Notice how I said I would accept the fact that you can't 'test out' of this degree. Yes, you did have the 'test out of' in your sentence, but you have basically been belittling distance education as a whole.

http://online.fsu.edu/

http://online.fsu.edu/student/degree/exp...m/undergr/

Sorry, you are wrong here. In my experience, schools and employers look at regional accreditation FIRST. After that, they may, in certain instances and for some degrees, look at a specific program accreditation. Also, not every school receives a regional accreditation. I will agree that state-funded institutions do get this accreditation, but that is probably because the state requires it in order for the school to receive funding (that should tell you something there).

I have friends who are in Human Resources and I can tell you that they look at regional accreditation. I also have friends in Engineering and IT. They also look at regional accreditation of a school first and then to any additional accreditations. That has been my experience.

BTW, I am 40 yrs old and am currently employed in the IT field. I've written programs for embedded systems, PCs and PDAs. I mainly write in C++, but I also know Java, Fortran, Cobol and Perl to name a few. I attended college many years ago, but at the time, I was young and impatient. Now, I'm older and still impatient. I know what the job market is like and I know that I can get another job in this field using experience (15+ years as a system programmer). However, I have always wanted to complete a degree and maybe try another field. That is why I am here. Distance education is becoming more widely accepted than you believe. At least, from reading your posts, it seems that you believe that distance education is an impossibility. But for some of us, it is the only option. Time constraints brought on by family and job responsibilities are usually the limiting factors. While I am not going to get an IT degree from Excelsior, I am going to knock out all of my basic courses for a degree using as much distance education as I can.

Some more links for you.

http://online.ucf.edu/programs/ist_bs.html

http://www.cs.uiuc.edu/online/

http://www.wku.edu/cit/

All of the above are ABET accredited. Smile

Like I have stated before, I am done arguing. There is no point in it anymore, and I hope you feel the same way. I simply pointed out the issues/problems you will be facing soon enough. I hope you do not have to face them, but I do not think society is going to change that fast. Good luck and godspeed!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,098 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Ruin a College or Alt-Credit Provider Name… Jonathan Whatley 9 2,160 05-23-2020, 04:37 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  American Opportunity Tax Credit sirjake 13 4,629 05-02-2020, 12:59 AM
Last Post: BrianFallon
  Free Nikon Photography classes -non credit cwendy111 0 670 04-10-2020, 02:15 AM
Last Post: cwendy111
  Unable to locate a past syllabi’s course for credit boymom1031 8 2,712 11-27-2019, 01:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sallie Mae Credit Cards Poor Decision armstrongsubero 34 4,095 07-08-2019, 02:05 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Cisco certs dewisant 2 1,114 05-05-2019, 04:09 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Free credit Temarsha 5 1,925 02-17-2019, 12:52 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable eriehiker 21 3,775 01-17-2019, 09:05 PM
Last Post: AaressLawless
  Michigan Alumni: Free MI Coursera/EdX Certs. eriehiker 0 1,006 10-06-2018, 07:33 AM
Last Post: eriehiker