Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Credit for Industry Certs
Yes I have a few links i will provide that are on my other pc later today of the schools I have been looking into.
AKay
It wouldn't even be worth getting one of these degrees. The masters degree which I checked out from someones links, has all technical level courses. Meaning it is not even a true masters program (not even a true under grad program). None of these schools are accreddited by ABET. The cost of these programs would surly out perform the benefit you would recieve. One thing I found sorta funny, is if you look at the faculty. THERE IS NONE. Smile

Just another way someone is coning people out of money.

PS: The only schools I ever saw that accepted certifications as credit were technical community colleges. If an under grad program is going to accept credit for certification, then they most likly will only accept it as electives, which in any good school you would not need anyways.
spazz Wrote:It wouldn't even be worth getting one of these degrees. The masters degree which I checked out from someones links, has all technical level courses. Meaning it is not even a true masters program (not even a true under grad program). None of these schools are accreddited by ABET. The cost of these programs would surly out perform the benefit you would recieve. One thing I found sorta funny, is if you look at the faculty. THERE IS NONE. Smile

Just another way someone is coning people out of money.

PS: The only schools I ever saw that accepted certifications as credit were technical community colleges. If an under grad program is going to accept credit for certification, then they most likly will only accept it as electives, which in any good school you would not need anyways.

While I respect your opinion I must disagree. I don't know about all schools of course, but I do know that Purdue University accepts technical certifications for credit. The same would be true for Excelsior, TESC, COSC, WGU, and the list goes on. I wouldn't describe these as technical community colleges. Aspen is a legit school, but they certainly should udpate their website to include faculty, CSU I'm certain does include faculty on their website.

As far as ABET is concerned CSU isn't an American school, so I'm not sure what their lack of an American professional accrediation should mean to anyone. Aspen isn't ABET either, but I don't think any DETC program is. I'm not that informed on ABET, but my understanding is that its primary focus is engineering programs not IT/IS type programs, though I do know they have some of those as part of their focus (When I say 'some'. They have a total of 16 colleges that they list as Accredited Computing Programs for IS, 0 of which are listed as approved for a graduate program in IS). This is the first time I've heard anyone mention ABET outside of an engineering program. If you're going to limit yourself to ABET approved IS programs then you certainly have a short list to work from.

I've not joined any gradaute program so I have no real reason to defend any of these programs, but I don't think it would be correct to say that either isn't a legit degree as they're both properly accredited in their home country. Though, at the same time people should recognize the limitations of any specific accrediation, which I mentioned in an earlier post. No one should be fooled into thinking one of these programs is the same as going to MIT, but they're also not programs to just con people out of money.
BLS CIS & Psychology Excelsior, MS IT & MS IM Aspen University, Pursuing MBA Columbia Southern.
siersema Wrote:While I respect your opinion I must disagree. I don't know about all schools of course, but I do know that Purdue University accepts technical certifications for credit. The same would be true for Excelsior, TESC, COSC, WGU, and the list goes on. I wouldn't describe these as technical community colleges. Aspen is a legit school, but they certainly should udpate their website to include faculty, CSU I'm certain does include faculty on their website.

As far as ABET is concerned CSU isn't an American school, so I'm not sure what their lack of an American professional accrediation should mean to anyone. Aspen isn't ABET either, but I don't think any DETC program is. I'm not that informed on ABET, but my understanding is that its primary focus is engineering programs not IT/IS type programs, though I do know they have some of those as part of their focus (When I say 'some'. They have a total of 16 colleges that they list as Accredited Computing Programs for IS, 0 of which are listed as approved for a graduate program in IS). This is the first time I've heard anyone mention ABET outside of an engineering program. If you're going to limit yourself to ABET approved IS programs then you certainly have a short list to work from.

I've not joined any gradaute program so I have no real reason to defend any of these programs, but I don't think it would be correct to say that either isn't a legit degree as they're both properly accredited in their home country. Though, at the same time people should recognize the limitations of any specific accrediation, which I mentioned in an earlier post. No one should be fooled into thinking one of these programs is the same as going to MIT, but they're also not programs to just con people out of money.

I would like to see the links to these schools (specially purdue), where it says they accept ALL IT certifications. I agree, purdue might accept certs, but probally as electives. They are in someway limiting it, probally to only one certification. Link me up though, and I will read.

Now I know I am going to step on some peoples toes, and I am sorry. But the master program from aspin, has all basic courses. Take a CS or IT program from an ABET accreddited uni and compare. The courses found in any ABET program are far more complex then the courses in the masters. Now if you compare a community colleges 2 year comp whatever program, it looks more like what aspin is offering. ABET is the industry standard for all computing and engineering. IS and IT are able to get ABET accreddited, the reason there is not a lot of programs that you find on ABET is because there is not a lot of IT 4 year degrees. Most of the IT 4 year degrees come from no-name online schools which only offer it to make a profit. Most people who go to college and come out with an IT job are CS majors.

Just by reading aspins site you can tell its a con. #1 is the faculty, they simply tell you "OH OUR faculty are the greatest." If they had good researchers they would be listed. The bottom line is they cannot even afford to hire faculty. Personally, I would stick to traditional school. It may cost more, but atleast you will get what you paid for: that is knowledge and a degree that stands out.
spazz Wrote:I would like to see the links to these schools (specially purdue), where it says they accept ALL IT certifications. I agree, purdue might accept certs, but probally as electives. They are in someway limiting it, probally to only one certification. Link me up though, and I will read.

Now I know I am going to step on some peoples toes, and I am sorry. But the master program from aspin, has all basic courses. Take a CS or IT program from an ABET accreddited uni and compare. The courses found in any ABET program are far more complex then the courses in the masters. Now if you compare a community colleges 2 year comp whatever program, it looks more like what aspin is offering. ABET is the industry standard for all computing and engineering. IS and IT are able to get ABET accreddited, the reason there is not a lot of programs that you find on ABET is because there is not a lot of IT 4 year degrees. Most of the IT 4 year degrees come from no-name online schools which only offer it to make a profit. Most people who go to college and come out with an IT job are CS majors.

Just by reading aspins site you can tell its a con. #1 is the faculty, they simply tell you "OH OUR faculty are the greatest." If they had good researchers they would be listed. The bottom line is they cannot even afford to hire faculty. Personally, I would stick to traditional school. It may cost more, but atleast you will get what you paid for: that is knowledge and a degree that stands out.

Purdue doesn't accept all, sorry if I implied that. The only one I'm aware of is the A+ (oh and Network+ but I don't recall for what I'll see if I can find it) and it's in place of another related hardware course (a friend used it, so I'll see if there's a link but I don't know if there is one). As for ABET again alll I can say is that according to their own website only a few IS programs are even approved under their program, and not a single one was a masters program. I'm not sure how you can compare a Non-ABET Graduate IT/IS program to an ABET one when, according to the ABET website, there is no such program. Aspen's courses are similar to courses I've seen in several other graduate programs (both RA and DETC) are they as complex or as technical as an engineering program or a computer science program? Probably not, but I don't think they're pretending to be. I've honestly never read anything bad about Aspen (formerly ISIM) or its' programs from its' former students. I'll agree that their website leaves a bit to be desired, and having e-mailed them questions I'd even say that their online customer service is also a bit lacking. I'd be hard pressed to describe any accredited school as a con. I too have issues with Aspen, but they primarily stem from the fact that they are DETC accredited, which in itself isn't bad, but is a limiting factor if you want to teach.

Having said all that. Accrediation is a complex and important matter, it's good that people see your viewpoint on the importance of ABET so they can see if it's something that's important for them as well.
BLS CIS & Psychology Excelsior, MS IT & MS IM Aspen University, Pursuing MBA Columbia Southern.
spazz Wrote:Just by reading aspins site you can tell its a con. #1 is the faculty, they simply tell you "OH OUR faculty are the greatest." If they had good researchers they would be listed. The bottom line is they cannot even afford to hire faculty. Personally, I would stick to traditional school. It may cost more, but atleast you will get what you paid for: that is knowledge and a degree that stands out.

While I wouldn't have put it in such terms these are good points as well. I don't think you'll find any DETC Accredited school that has any research faculty at all. It's one of those things that's a little hard to do online, and one of the reasons that DETC doesn't approve any PhD programs. There is certainly a role for both online and traditional school settings. The "name" can also be important for some people but the "name" is often a trade off of cost and the ability to complete a degree online.
http://www.dlearn.org/index.php?c=26

http://www.capitol-college.edu/academicp...itsm.shtml

http://www.itmasters.com.au/

http://www.indstate.edu/distance/fees.html

http://www.geteducated.com/rankings/best_mbareg.asp

These are a few of the links i have saved in my search for MBA/grad schools.
Hope it helps. I should be enrolled somewhere by May of next year as I grad in April.
AKay
AKay Wrote:http://www.dlearn.org/index.php?c=26

http://www.capitol-college.edu/academicp...itsm.shtml

http://www.itmasters.com.au/

http://www.indstate.edu/distance/fees.html

http://www.geteducated.com/rankings/best_mbareg.asp

These are a few of the links i have saved in my search for MBA/grad schools.
Hope it helps. I should be enrolled somewhere by May of next year as I grad in April.
AKay

Hi AKay,

Which Indiana State program are you looking at? Just dreaming into the future I like their PhD in Technology Management. I worked at a local college and there were some instructors considering it at the time. I first looked at them because we had an artriculation program with them.
siersema Wrote:While I wouldn't have put it in such terms these are good points as well. I don't think you'll find any DETC Accredited school that has any research faculty at all. It's one of those things that's a little hard to do online, and one of the reasons that DETC doesn't approve any PhD programs. There is certainly a role for both online and traditional school settings. The "name" can also be important for some people but the "name" is often a trade off of cost and the ability to complete a degree online.

When I say researchers, I am talking about faculty as most professors at the under grad perform research. Most of the professors (at least that I came in contact with only teach for the college, so they can do research and get paid for it). I am afraid, if this is not the case, then you're getting 2nd hand education, probably by someone not as educated (high school teachers). If the school doesn’t have proper faculty then they are not accredited. I am not only talking about the name, but accreditation. If the school is not accredited, then it is going to put a huge damper on your degree. This is going to limit your employability and chances for opportunity down the road (masters program/doctoral).

A lot of employers also look down on distance learning, but I will not get into that on this forum (since most of you are distance learners). But I think if you have the chance to go to a traditional university, you should take it (specially if you're young).
spazz Wrote:When I say researchers, I am talking about faculty as most professors at the under grad perform research. Most of the professors (at least that I came in contact with only teach for the college, so they can do research and get paid for it). I am afraid, if this is not the case, then you're getting 2nd hand education, probably by someone not as educated (high school teachers). If the school doesn’t have proper faculty then they are not accredited. I am not only talking about the name, but accreditation. If the school is not accredited, then it is going to put a huge damper on your degree. This is going to limit your employability and chances for opportunity down the road (masters program/doctoral).

A lot of employers also look down on distance learning, but I will not get into that on this forum (since most of you are distance learners). But I think if you have the chance to go to a traditional university, you should take it (specially if you're young).

I guess all I can say is that I disagree, our experiences certainly aren't equal with regards to research. I worked at a Regionally Accredited college (North Central, ACBSP, NLNAC, ect..) and didn't find what you seem to have found. Our IS programs were under the ACBSP since they're part of the Business department.

I am curious, and even a bit confused. With your opinion with regards to distance learning vs. traditional learning why you would choose to pursue CLEP exams? They certainly fall outside the realm of traditional learning.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,098 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Ruin a College or Alt-Credit Provider Name… Jonathan Whatley 9 2,167 05-23-2020, 04:37 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  American Opportunity Tax Credit sirjake 13 4,632 05-02-2020, 12:59 AM
Last Post: BrianFallon
  Free Nikon Photography classes -non credit cwendy111 0 674 04-10-2020, 02:15 AM
Last Post: cwendy111
  Unable to locate a past syllabi’s course for credit boymom1031 8 2,720 11-27-2019, 01:54 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Sallie Mae Credit Cards Poor Decision armstrongsubero 34 4,110 07-08-2019, 02:05 PM
Last Post: videogamesrock
  Cisco certs dewisant 2 1,123 05-05-2019, 04:09 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Free credit Temarsha 5 1,936 02-17-2019, 12:52 AM
Last Post: jsd
  Dual Credit at Home: How to Pray for Your Children Printable eriehiker 21 3,780 01-17-2019, 09:05 PM
Last Post: AaressLawless
  Michigan Alumni: Free MI Coursera/EdX Certs. eriehiker 0 1,006 10-06-2018, 07:33 AM
Last Post: eriehiker