Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crippling self doubt! (aka starting college at 40!)
Wow! You really dedicated! Great work.

For the area of study electives for the homeland security do you check study.com they have a lot of options you might be able to use. (victomology, white collar crime, criminal justice, etc.) See if you could use them even if the course number don't line up exactly.

look under the social science tab: https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab

Then email an advisor and see if it works. And I bet study.com's research in the social science would count for your degree ask an advisor.

That way you would only have to do from your area of study 15 credits at TESU. And by the way, TESU courses are 12 weeks long, so won't be able to finish them as quickly.
(04-13-2019, 02:03 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: No reason to do a two credit science course and then a one credit GE course - just do a three credit science course (which will be MUCH easier to find) and knock out both in one fell swoop. I personally enjoyed the OnlineDegree.com Astronomy course.

For free electives, I would just do some of the "basically free" courses, like OnlineDegree.com or Saylor, or better yet, CLEP if that is an option for you.
Does that count like that? I wasn’t sure if credits could count under more than one requirement or how that worked. I think I have one other single credit requirement but I don’t have my spreadsheet in front of me.

(04-15-2019, 02:44 PM):angel:natshar Wrote: Wow! You really dedicated! Great work.

For the area of study electives for the homeland security do you check study.com they have a lot of options you might be able to use.  (victomology, white collar crime, criminal justice, etc.) See if you could use them even if the course number don't line up exactly.

look under the social science tab: https://study.com/directory/school/Thoma...ransferTab

Then email an advisor and see if it works. And I bet study.com's research in the social science would count for your degree ask an advisor.

That way you would only have to do from your area of study 15 credits at TESU. And by the way, TESU courses are 12 weeks long, so won't be able to finish them as quickly.
For the AOS Electives, there are from Study.com. I just need to decide which one I want to do out of these three. 
AOJ-110: White Collar Crime 3cr
SOC-239: Victimology 3cr
BUS 303: Management Info Systems 3cr

In the degree plan that an SDC advisor gave me, they had listed the TESU specific course which I assumed meant that I needed to take it at TESU. There was also the diversity requirement which specifically listed  SOC-322 Diversity: Cultural Diversity in the US As the required course for it. 

I basically will end up with 27 credits that I’ll need to take from TESU. That equals 9 courses. What would be considered a normal course load? 5 or 6? They’re all going to be from my AOS primarily.
TESU - BS in Homeland Security & Emergency Management (BS.HSEM) (In Progress) 
Started from scratch - 01/2019 - Completion - ??

Credits: 69/120
SDC: ENG-104, HIS-108, COM-102, COM-120, POLS-101, POLS-102, POLS-103, SOC-101, PSY-101, PSY-104, COMP-102, BUS-107, BUS-109 - 39cr
Sophia: Managing Conflict, Effective Teams, Student Success - 3cr
TEEX: Cyber 101, Cyber 201, Cyber 301, Basic Property Technician, Foundations of Fingerprint Comparison, Death Investigation - 19cr
Institutes: Ethics - 2cr
CSMLearn: The CSM Course - 3cr
ALEKS: College Algebra - 3cr
(04-16-2019, 10:10 AM)Mil0 Wrote:
(04-13-2019, 02:03 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: No reason to do a two credit science course and then a one credit GE course - just do a three credit science course (which will be MUCH easier to find) and knock out both in one fell swoop. I personally enjoyed the OnlineDegree.com Astronomy course.

For free electives, I would just do some of the "basically free" courses, like OnlineDegree.com or Saylor, or better yet, CLEP if that is an option for you.
Does that count like that? I wasn’t sure if credits could count under more than one requirement or how that worked. I think I have one other single credit requirement but I don’t have my spreadsheet in front of me.
TESU won't count credit in two places, but they will split the credits from a course if they need to. For instance if you needed 2 GE elective credits and one free elective credit, you could use a single 3 credit course to fill them. In the example above, instead of "splitting" the course, they count the three credit science course in it's own GE slot, then lower the number of GE electives needed by the one "extra" credit. It comes out to the same thing in the end. This happens a lot when people bring in 4 or 5 credit courses into one of the three credit GE slots.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Mil0 Wrote:For the AOS Electives, there are from Study.com. I just need to decide which one I want to do out of these three. 

In the degree plan that an SDC advisor gave me, they had listed the TESU specific course which I assumed meant that I needed to take it at TESU. There was also the diversity requirement which specifically listed  SOC-322 Diversity: Cultural Diversity in the US As the required course for it. 

I basically will end up with 27 credits that I’ll need to take from TESU. That equals 9 courses. What would be considered a normal course load? 5 or 6? They’re all going to be from my AOS primarily.

For your AOS Electives, out of those three choices, I would recommend you can skip them all in favor of the Death Investigation (Online) transferred to TESU as AOJ-340 Criminalistics at $75 vs $100 for the Study.com courses. If those are required courses and you can complete them quickly, each exam is only $70/course at Study.com... however, I do believe there are extra assignments for these as they're Upper Level. Again, It'll be an easier/faster course as it doesn't have assignments.

Furthermore, I would follow the spreadsheet that you have completed, which is very similar to what dfrecore has created for you, I would skip the course the SDC advisor gave you in favor of a freshman course instead of the junior course instead. Why would you work on a course that would have extra assignments when you can get that course done with SOC-101! Who was that advisor?!

As you mentioned, your only UL requirements are in the AOS, everything else should be LL unless it's required or there are no other alternatives. You can listen to the advisor for advice, but review this link, as SOC-101 is easier, they were lazy and just picked the last one of the list... You're looking for cheap/easy/fast and for me, I add in the "value".

Link: https://www.tesu.edu/academics/courses/2019-and-after
I only have one more question for you, do you have any other courses in the works or completed besides the ones in your signature? I could not send you an attachment by PM, I am a dummy, forgot you can't do that...but can just attach this thread, but I want to make a minor adjustment to it...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-16-2019, 11:21 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
Mil0 Wrote:For the AOS Electives, there are from Study.com. I just need to decide which one I want to do out of these three. 

For your AOS Electives, out of those three choices, I would recommend you can skip them all in favor of the Death Investigation (Online) transferred to TESU as AOJ-340 Criminalistics at $75 vs $100 for the Study.com courses.   If those are required courses and you can complete them quickly, each exam is only $70/course at Study.com... however, I do believe there are extra assignments for these as they're Upper Level.   Again, It'll be an easier/faster course as it doesn't have assignments.

Furthermore, I would follow the spreadsheet that you have completed, which is very similar to what dfrecore has created for you, I would skip the course the SDC advisor gave you in favor of a freshman course instead of the junior course instead.  Why would you work on a course that would have extra assignments when you can get that course done with SOC-101!  Who was that advisor?!

As you mentioned, your only UL requirements are in the AOS, everything else should be LL unless it's required or there are no other alternatives.  You can listen to the advisor for advice, but review this link, as SOC-101 is easier, they were lazy and just picked the last one of the list...  You're looking for cheap/easy/fast and for me, I add in the "value".

I only have one more question for you, do you have any other courses in the works or completed besides the ones in your signature?  I could not send you an attachment by PM, I am a dummy, forgot you can't do that...but can just attach this thread, but I want to make a minor adjustment to it...

I'm pretty sure you could do your whole degree besides 15 credits (5 courses, 4+1 capstone) from the AOS and SOS-110. Do study.coms research in social sciences for the AOS requirement. I think you can find all your AOS elective through alternative means. 

Also check here this might work for your AOS/AOS electives:

https://www.pearson.com/us/higher-educat...urses.html
Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been trying to take April "off".

These are the TESU specific classes I have left to take.
SOS-110 3 SH Living in the Information Age (Information Literacy)
SOC-322 (DEGREE REQUIREMENT) 3 SH Cultural Diversity in the US
HLS-355 (DEGREE REQUIREMENT) 3 SH Critical Thinking for Homeland Security
SOS-440 Terrorism 3 SH
HLS-410 Counterterrorism: Constitutional and Legislative Issues
HLS-420 Homeland Security: Preparedness, Prevention and Deterrence
HLS-429 Protecting the Homeland: Response & Recovery
SOS-492 Research Methods in Social Sciences
HLS-498 Homeland Security Capstone

So that's 9 courses (27 credits) I'll need to take at TESU.

I've got 63 credits so far. I need 27 from the TESU required courses, that will put me at 90. The other remaining 30 credits are:
3 cr AOS elective
3 cr English Comp II
15 cr free electives
7 cr Gen Ed electives
2 cr Science credits

I'm pretty sure I can zip through the remaining 30 credits that I listed. The only thing that will take time is however long the TESU courses take since I assume they're not as self paced as SDC etc.

(04-16-2019, 12:15 PM)natshar Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 11:21 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:

For your AOS Electives, out of those three choices, I would recommend you can skip them all in favor of the Death Investigation (Online) transferred to TESU as AOJ-340 Criminalistics at $75 vs $100 for the Study.com courses.   If those are required courses and you can complete them quickly, each exam is only $70/course at Study.com... however, I do believe there are extra assignments for these as they're Upper Level.   Again, It'll be an easier/faster course as it doesn't have assignments.

Furthermore, I would follow the spreadsheet that you have completed, which is very similar to what dfrecore has created for you, I would skip the course the SDC advisor gave you in favor of a freshman course instead of the junior course instead.  Why would you work on a course that would have extra assignments when you can get that course done with SOC-101!  Who was that advisor?!

As you mentioned, your only UL requirements are in the AOS, everything else should be LL unless it's required or there are no other alternatives.  You can listen to the advisor for advice, but review this link, as SOC-101 is easier, they were lazy and just picked the last one of the list...  You're looking for cheap/easy/fast and for me, I add in the "value".

I only have one more question for you, do you have any other courses in the works or completed besides the ones in your signature?  I could not send you an attachment by PM, I am a dummy, forgot you can't do that...but can just attach this thread, but I want to make a minor adjustment to it...

I'm pretty sure you could do your whole degree besides 15 credits (5 courses, 4+1 capstone) from the AOS and SOS-110. Do study.coms research in social sciences for the AOS requirement. I think you can find all your AOS elective through alternative means. 

Also check here this might work for your AOS/AOS electives:

https://www.pearson.com/us/higher-educat...urses.html

I don't know why I was thinking that SDC's research in social sciences wouldn't transfer properly and that I had to take the TESU course. Probably because it was listed in the AOS and I was thinking it was similar to the required courses like SOC-322.. etc

SDC: ENG-104, HIS-108, COM-102, COM-120, POLS-101, POLS-102, POLS-103, SOC-101, PSY-101, PSY-104, COMP-102, BUS-107, BUS-109 - 39cr
TEEX: Cyber 101, Cyber 201, Cyber 301, Basic Property Technician, Foundations of Fingerprint Comparison, Death Investigation - 19cr
Completed the TEEX Foundations of Fingerprint Comparison. So that's another 3 credits. I was going to take the Death Investigation course but I'd read one of the reviews that said it had some graphic photos. I've had an upset stomach all day and am nauseous enough as it is without seeing gore photos. I'll probably do that next week while I creep back into doing school work. 54 credits left to go!

Mil0 Wrote:Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been trying to take April "off".

SOC-322 (DEGREE REQUIREMENT) 3 SH  Cultural Diversity in the US
SOS-440 Terrorism 3 SH

I've got 63 credits so far. I need 27 from the TESU required courses, that will put me at 90. The other remaining 30 credits are:
3 cr AOS elective
3 cr English Comp II
15 cr free electives
7 cr Gen Ed electives
2 cr Science credits

This is for your final stretch!  See below for  Area of Study Required (18)
SOS-440 Terrorism Penn F.
HLS-410 Counterterrorism TESU
HLS-420 Homeland Security Propero
HLS-429 Protecting the Homeland, Response & Recovery TESU
SOS-492 Research Methods Study.com
HLS-498 Homeland Security & Emergency Management Capstone TESU

You can choose 5 of these courses for your Area of Study Electives (15)
CIS-301 Management Information Systems Study.com
COM-330 Interpersonal Communications Study.com
MAN-311 Organizational Behavior Study.com
HIS-356 War and American Society Study.com
PSY-370 Social Psychology Study.com
AOJ-303 White Collar Crime Study.com
AOJ-381 Victimology Study.com
COM-335 Intercultural Communications Study.com
AOJ-340 Criminalistics (Death Investigation) TEEX
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-26-2019, 10:12 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
Mil0 Wrote:Sorry for the delay in replying. I've been trying to take April "off".

SOC-322 (DEGREE REQUIREMENT) 3 SH  Cultural Diversity in the US
SOS-440 Terrorism 3 SH

3 cr AOS elective
3 cr English Comp II
15 cr free electives
7 cr Gen Ed electives
2 cr Science credits

This is for your final stretch!  See below for  Area of Study Required (18)
SOS-440 Terrorism Penn F.
HLS-410 Counterterrorism TESU
HLS-420 Homeland Security Propero
HLS-429 Protecting the Homeland, Response & Recovery TESU
SOS-492 Research Methods Study.com
HLS-498 Homeland Security & Emergency Management Capstone TESU

You can choose 5 of these courses for your Area of Study Electives (15)
CIS-301 Management Information Systems Study.com
COM-330 Interpersonal Communications Study.com
MAN-311 Organizational Behavior Study.com
HIS-356 War and American Society Study.com
PSY-370 Social Psychology Study.com
AOJ-303 White Collar Crime Study.com
AOJ-381 Victimology Study.com
COM-335 Intercultural Communications Study.com
AOJ-340 Criminalistics (Death Investigation) TEEX

That makes sense. I knew it was possible to do less than 27 credits at TESU and if study.com's research methods doesn't work, coopersmith has one and I believe it is UL.
I'm getting back into my school work after a very hectic April/May. I meant to start back May 1st but we all know how life goes. I haven't been home at all this month aside from 3-4 days and I'm about to head out of town again.

I'm looking at planning which SDC courses I'm going to take. Basically I've got 54 credits left and of those, the majority are Free Electives and my AOS courses. I'm trying to sort out all of the SDC courses that don't have assignments so that I just have to complete the quizzes and the proctored exam.

I can't find the Research Methods course that you all were recommending. On SDC, I'm only seeing this one, which is Research Methods in Psychology and not a Research Methods in Social Sciences. Is this the right course? Or would this one work? The one that had been recommended by SDC was CJ 306: Research Methods in Criminal Justice, which has a 2500-3000 word research proposal assignment and I definitely don't want to do that.

https://study.com/academy/course/psychol...l#overview

Thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,092 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,350 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,725 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 197 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 310 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 622 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 178 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  101yr Old Woman Returned To School And Will Graduate College With Her Granddaughter LevelUP 0 199 01-25-2024, 04:36 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 institutions paying fine plus how much college costs in every state bjcheung77 1 188 01-25-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: inor