Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critique my TESU CS Plan
(10-16-2018, 12:00 PM)davewill Wrote: The TESU plan looks pretty good to me. I used the comprehensive plan as well. It's important to plan out your schedule so that you get all of your actual online courses inside the comprehensive year. I failed to do so and had to pay extra for my capstone (I didn't realize the capstone didn't have to be the absolute last class, so did my ethics TECEP when I should have started the capstone). There is also a weird quirk that requires you to take (and pay for) one course AFTER the comprehensive year in order to continue enrollment as per credit. You might need that if you don't actually graduate inside the comprehensive year, which is hard to do. Plan on a last TECEP to fill that role. Also know that you can register for classes in the last month and finish them after the comprehensive year ends, so you actually have 14 months to do all the work.

That's actually really interesting. If I pay for just one extra TCEP after my comprehensive tuition ends, I will be able to continue wrapping up final credits from other sources for up to another year, and I will still have no waiver to pay when I graduate?

(10-17-2018, 12:24 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Really, this isn't the best way to go about it.  You would actually need to plan out your entire WGU degree first, and then see what CLEP's will satisfy the requirements (there won't be a ton, as WGU doesn't have a lot of GE's in this program, which is where the CLEP's would work).  Taking a bunch of CLEP's and then seeing where your chips fall is kind of random.  It's not even a great plan for the Big 3.

If I were you, I would actually look at the degrees themselves - TESU vs. WGU - and see which degree you like best.  Then, start planning on how you can get THAT degree.

Also, you can call WGU back and see how financial aid works there if you want.  That part will probably be helpful.

That makes sense. I did ask about financial aid, it seems to work the same way as TESU, aka, my Pell grant would basically cover most of the tuition, since a year of tuition at WGU is only slightly more than TESU. I'm more concerned, based on the degree outline, and what the advisor said, that the degree will take me at least two years to finish, if not more. Because TESU's offering is a BA with plenty of gen-eds and free electives, while WGU's is a BS with few gen-eds and no free electives, TESU still seems like the obvious choice for completing the degree in the least amount of time. While I would graduate WGU with more field-specific knowledge, I think I'd prefer to graduate faster, though having learned less, but then gain more practical skills through internships and entry-level work experience. Perhaps that's not the best approach?
"Perhaps that's not the best approach?"

Honestly, they're both good approaches, so it's up to you decide which one will work better for you.

Have you already filled out your FAFSA? You can apply to both colleges and see what finaid packages each one will offer, they may not both offer the exact same grants, and you may not get the amount of Pell Grant you were expecting.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • TryhardTim
(10-17-2018, 09:48 AM)TryhardTim Wrote:
(10-17-2018, 12:24 AM)dfrecore Wrote: Really, this isn't the best way to go about it.  You would actually need to plan out your entire WGU degree first, and then see what CLEP's will satisfy the requirements (there won't be a ton, as WGU doesn't have a lot of GE's in this program, which is where the CLEP's would work).  Taking a bunch of CLEP's and then seeing where your chips fall is kind of random.  It's not even a great plan for the Big 3.

If I were you, I would actually look at the degrees themselves - TESU vs. WGU - and see which degree you like best.  Then, start planning on how you can get THAT degree.

Also, you can call WGU back and see how financial aid works there if you want.  That part will probably be helpful.

That makes sense. I did ask about financial aid, it seems to work the same way as TESU, aka, my Pell grant would basically cover most of the tuition, since a year of tuition at WGU is only slightly more than TESU. I'm more concerned, based on the degree outline, and what the advisor said, that the degree will take me at least two years to finish, if not more. Because TESU's offering is a BA with plenty of gen-eds and free electives, while WGU's is a BS with few gen-eds and no free electives, TESU still seems like the obvious choice for completing the degree in the least amount of time. While I would graduate WGU with more field-specific knowledge, I think I'd prefer to graduate faster, though having learned less, but then gain more practical skills through internships and entry-level work experience. Perhaps that's not the best approach?

It's completely up to you as to how you decide your best approach.  What I was saying was to choose the degree first, and then decide how you're going to go about getting it, so you don't waste time and money.

The other thing about WGU is that they usually want someone with experience before joining the program - so you might actually have a harder time getting through it even if you were accepted.  Yes, if you don't have experience, then TESU might be the better choice.  You may also want to do some of the WGU coursework (not through WGU) to try to get the additional coursework in at some point along the way (either during or after your degree).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • TryhardTim
(10-17-2018, 09:48 AM)TryhardTim Wrote: That's actually really interesting. If I pay for just one extra TCEP after my comprehensive tuition ends, I will be able to continue wrapping up final credits from other sources for up to another year, and I will still have no waiver to pay when I graduate?

Yes. Once you've earned the requisite number of credits to satisfy the residency requirement, it stays satisfied until you graduate. You could even take longer than a year, by doing another TECEP to stay enrolled longer, but you shouldn't need to. It isn't like paying the waiver where it's only good for a year. However, part of the quirk is that you have to pay for the TECEP BEFORE the comprehensive year ends. I had to register for my last classes, then CALL in and have them change me to per credit, then register and charge me for the TECEP that would keep my enrollment current.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • TryhardTim
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...CS-Courses

Check out this thread. Looks like SDC juat got ace approval for more CS classes. That may change your plan.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • TryhardTim

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 16 2,308 3 hours ago
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 524 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 7 451 04-08-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: PLEX
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 475 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 258 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,228 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 233 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 375 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  Electronics Engineering degree plan advice trailbounder 5 360 03-18-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 300 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az