Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Critique my degree plan! (TESU BSBA in CIS)
Wink 
Hi! I have recently decided to try a DIY degree and am using this forum/wiki as my main resource. Thank you to everyone who has contributed because it is incredibly helpful!

Here is my degree plan so far: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

I left a few things blank (mostly just DSST/CBE/UExcel exams so there won't be many options there anyway). I have a few questions:

1) Are there any glaring issues with this plan? Will everything listed meet the intended requirements?

2) Is there anywhere else that I can use StraighterLine courses (these are my favorite)? Are there any blanks that can be filled with SL/Saylor/Study.com?

3) Should I just do all the free courses to fill the 6 credits for electives? For example: Q0118 Self-Study Course for Community Safey Educators (1 credit) + Q0318 Fire Service Supervision: Self Study (1 credit) + Cyber 101 - Cybersecurity for Everyone (2 credits) + Cyber 201 - Cybersecurity for IT Professionals (2 credits)

4) When should I enroll at TESU / when do they change their catalog? It is free to enroll for a year as long as I do one course / TECEP, correct?

5) Is it too late to get the Study.com residency waiver discount for TESU (I did not put that on my application)? Also, do I have to take a certain number of Study.com courses to qualify for that?

6) Any other thoughts/suggestions?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for any help!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tolpeko's post:
  • !=scholar
It is not too late to get the Study.com affiliation. You can also get the Guardian Scholarship, making the Study.com courses free. With the affiliation, you don't have to do the cornerstone course Smile

[-] The following 2 users Like Ideas's post:
  • slmartin, Tolpeko
Everything fits as planned. the only issue is that the Ethics course is only 2cr, meaning you'll have to make it up in the Gen Ed Electives area.

Saylor courses that may work in the AOS:
CS101: Introduction to Computer Science I >> COS-101
CS102: Introduction to Computer Science II >> CIS-103
BUS206: Management Information Systems >> CIS-201
BUS303: Strategic Information Technology >> CIS-301
CS301: Software Engineering >> CIS-351
CS402: Computer Communications and Networks >> CMP-354

Here's a Study.com course that is supposed to fit into the CIS AOS:
BUS 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising >> MAR-441

Ed4Credit is similar to SL, and has:
Managing Information Systems >> CIS-301

Yes, you can do the free courses for Free Electives. Add the Cybersecurity for Business Professionals (CIS-344 2cr comes into AOS or Gen Ed) and Sophia's Developing Effective Teams as well (HRM-299).

As for enrolling at TESU, the sooner the better. There is no real purpose in waiting.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Tolpeko, Yenisei
Awesome, thanks for the tips! I will look into all of that.
I see that you didn't put anything for Systems Analysis and Design. There is a CSU Global CBE for that.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Tolpeko
If you guys don't mind me asking. What is this Study.com affiliation? Also, Guardian Scholarship?
(08-10-2017, 04:32 PM)David.Hamad Wrote: If you guys don't mind me asking. What is this Study.com affiliation? Also, Guardian Scholarship?

If you are a study.com member you get substantial savings at TESU. The $2500 residency waiver fee becomes $1800, the $1497 capstone course (or any other course) becomes $1098 and the $300 cornerstone requirement is waived.

http://support.study.com/support/solutio...university-

The Guardian scholarship gets you 6 free courses with Study.com. the first one must be Personal Finance, then you get to choose the rest.

http://study.com/blog/guardian-s-persona...rship.html
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • Tolpeko
I think there is an issue with using SL for Business Communication under the Business core requirements. The equivalency on SL shows it comes into TESU as COM-300 and in the degree plan on TESU they want MAN-373. I think I read that Saylor offers this option. I have to take this class soon too, so I'd rather take it from SL, but I read multiple posters say it won't be accepted.
(08-12-2017, 08:25 AM)Dougree Wrote: I think there is an issue with using SL for Business Communication under the Business core requirements. The equivalency on SL shows it comes into TESU as COM-300 and in the degree plan on TESU they want MAN-373. I think I read that Saylor offers this option. I have to take this class soon too, so I'd rather take it from SL, but I read multiple posters say it won't be accepted.

I know that they come in as different course numbers, but it does not mean that they won't accept it (and I've never actually read on here that they won't). The requirement does not say MAN-373, it says "Business/Managerial Communications". So you can use any type of course that meets that requirement. If you happen to take a course at a CC, it will come in as something like MAN-2XX and it will still count as meeting the requirement.

Many times, people are confused about TESU's requirements, because when they look up the courses that TESU lists as meeting the requirements (like on the Gen Ed page), they only list THEIR OWN courses. But, that does not mean that a similar course taken elsewhere doesn't meet the requirement, it just means that they don't offer that course themselves.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Tolpeko
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I contacted advising and they confirmed SL will work.

"Yes, the Straighterline course, Business Communications, will transfer in as COM-300 and will work to satisfy the Managerial Communications requirement in the Core."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dougree's post:
  • Leonem

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Path/degree recommendation for a 40 yr old man with no degree Freyo27 0 7 5 minutes ago
Last Post: Freyo27
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 34 575 52 minutes ago
Last Post: crowbird
  Educational Degree Planning Help nhmimi 5 99 53 minutes ago
Last Post: RachelB
  Degree Planning- MS degree dodek101 8 309 1 hour ago
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  Potential Degree Input, Please curious 4 135 Yesterday, 06:39 AM
Last Post: curious
  DBA degree: online, 2-3 years, top US or UK school, accredited absamer 22 1,476 03-26-2024, 11:54 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 28 1,851 03-26-2024, 06:00 AM
  Masters Degree in Texas Melhux 3 177 03-26-2024, 05:45 AM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 339 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 954 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM