Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current Return on Earning a College Degree
Due to rising costs, the return on earning a college degree has slightly ticked down to 14%. However, the gap between how much college graduates and high graduates earn remains much higher than it was 30 years ago. The average high school graduate earns $45,000. The average college graduate earns $78,000. Don't ask me how the New York Federal Reserve Bank got these numbers. LOL. If I had to guess the numbers for my state, I'd say that many college graduates could easily get to $60k after several years. A high school graduate would probably make $30k. 

https://libertystreeteconomics.newyorkfe...tment.html
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
LOL, It does make me wonder, where do they get the figures from? I'm still looking for an older post where it shows the % of people getting their high school diplomas, associates, bachelors, and higher degrees from 1940's up until now.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(06-16-2019, 10:39 AM)sanantone Wrote: Due to rising costs, the return on earning a college degree has slightly ticked down to 14%. However, the gap between how much college graduates and high graduates earn remains much higher than it was 30 years ago. The average high school graduate earns $45,000. The average college graduate earns $78,000. Don't ask me how the New York Federal Reserve Bank got these numbers. LOL. If I had to guess the numbers for my state, I'd say that many college graduates could easily get to $60k after several years. A high school graduate would probably make $30k. 

This is a sticky topic. The more important number, in my opinion, is the underemployment rate among college graduates. According to the NY Fed, 40% of college-educated workers are in jobs that don't require a college degree. It's probably also important for them to break down "college degree" into categories. Some degrees are undeniably better "investments" than others.

They break down their method of calculating the cost of college in this pdf (https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/...ci20-3.pdf). The main thing that sticks out to me is that the opportunity cost of a college degree represents 80% of its total cost. Tuition costs are only 20%. The Fed estimates that students in college would earn roughly 25k per year if they were in the workforce instead of in college. It seems that students working full time could reduce the cost of their college by 80%, thus dramatically increasing their return on investment. If only there were a forum that helped people attend college while working full time...
(06-16-2019, 06:03 PM)alexf.1990 Wrote:
(06-16-2019, 10:39 AM)sanantone Wrote: Due to rising costs, the return on earning a college degree has slightly ticked down to 14%. However, the gap between how much college graduates and high graduates earn remains much higher than it was 30 years ago. The average high school graduate earns $45,000. The average college graduate earns $78,000. Don't ask me how the New York Federal Reserve Bank got these numbers. LOL. If I had to guess the numbers for my state, I'd say that many college graduates could easily get to $60k after several years. A high school graduate would probably make $30k. 

This is a sticky topic. The more important number, in my opinion, is the underemployment rate among college graduates. According to the NY Fed, 40% of college-educated workers are in jobs that don't require a college degree. It's probably also important for them to break down "college degree" into categories. Some degrees are undeniably better "investments" than others.

They break down their method of calculating the cost of college in this pdf (https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/...ci20-3.pdf). The main thing that sticks out to me is that the opportunity cost of a college degree represents 80% of its total cost. Tuition costs are only 20%. The Fed estimates that students in college would earn roughly 25k per year if they were in the workforce instead of in college. It seems that students working full time could reduce the cost of their college by 80%, thus dramatically increasing their return on investment. If only there were a forum that helped people attend college while working full time...
I created a thread on that New York Fed study. On another forum, there was this social science professor who didn't like the methodology because they categorized college vs. non-college jobs based on what people reported, including older people. I don't think it's a big deal. Even if an older individual got a job 30 years ago without a college degree, I think he or she would know if their position now requires a college degree through workplace gossip.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,448 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is online college easier now? Vle045 21 1,089 02-26-2024, 10:47 PM
Last Post: Vle045
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 478 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,721 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 196 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  NH Colby-Sawyer College cut their tuition 62% in 2023 ($46,000 to $17,500) Ares 2 307 02-14-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: Ares
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 765 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden