Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DBA/AACSB/Online/Cheap... does this exist?
(06-26-2019, 03:14 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(06-25-2019, 10:44 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote:
(06-20-2019, 09:19 AM)posabsolute Wrote: Wow that's an awesome find EducationSeeker
In addition to Stellenbosch, the University of Cape Town, and the Univ. of Witwatersrand all have "triple crown" or AACSB, EQUIS, AMBA business school accreditation.  I think only Stellenbosch can be required all at a distance for a research based degree (i.e. no classes and you come up with research proposal for dissertation before you are accepted). 

You do need a master's degree and a research proposal.  For the masters, look at a competency based degree like WGU or if you want an AACSB accredited MBA, look at the following list. You could get an MBA for less than $10K.  Also, Stellenbosch does not discriminate against non-AACSB MBA's so you could look at cheaper options like WGU or Heriot Watt University or the Edinburgh Business School.  You could also look at Stellenbosch for their Master's program.

Cheapest AACSB MBA online programs
https://www.geteducated.com/online-colle...-mba-aacsb

I am looking at Stellenbosch for a PHD with an emphasis in Organizational Development or Coaching.  Also, if AACSB accreditation is not required, I would also recommend a Prof Doctorate (DProf) from the University of Wales or Christ Church Canterbury University for a degree program in Executive Coaching.  These programs are very applied and run about $5-6K a year for 4 years.  I do not think they take US student loans.

Basically, you could fund an entire BA, MBA, and PHD program totally student loan free for the following cost breakdown:

Big 3 Liberal Arts Degree or Bachelor's in Business for less than $6-7k
MBA - WGU or Heriot Watt University or AACSB online school mentioned above $5-14k
PHD - Stellenbosch University - 2-5 years cost is about $3-10k 

You could theoretically finish all 3 degree with an out the door price of less than $20-30k total debt without factoring any scholarships or support you could receive.

EducationSeeker

Don't they require a master's thesis for admission? None of the competency-based master's programs have a thesis option.
Sanantone,

That is a great point about competency based Master's degree needing a thesis.  I am not sure. It would pay to contact them which I have not done yet.  I would appear the faculty coordinator for the PHD program is Ms Anneli Maas, email: apaint@sun.ac.za.  

If a master's thesis is required, if a candidate did a capstone project, would could could ask if the capstone paper would be counted as a thesis. For example, I did an MBA with the University of Phoenix and had to write a capstone paper.  Otherwise, one could look at obtaining another Master's such as online AACSB program from the USA or .  I would think that looking at either a similar Master's or MBA at Stellenbosch would have some research thesis tied towards the master's. I have pasted the email response I got and then also the Concept Note (i.e. target of potential research).

I hope this helps.

EducationSeeker

Attached Files
.pdf   PhD BMA Concept Note.pdf (Size: 260.89 KB / Downloads: 19)
[-] The following 1 user Likes EducationSeeker's post:
  • tesu-acct-student
Another question, with an MBA accredited can you teach any 4 year public or private college ?
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

(08-15-2019, 09:08 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Another question, with an MBA accredited can you teach any 4 year public or private college ?

It depends on the school, but typically an MBA is not considered a degree for people going into academia, or at least not as an instructor... as an administrator, it makes more sense. If you're looking to become a college professor, you'll usually be looking for a PhD or DA degree of some kind. To teach in a business school, you'll probably be looking for a degree from a well-known research college that is AACSB accredited, and you'll be looking an MS or PhD/DA in your chosen business specialization.

That said, some schools do employ MBA holders as instructors. For example, the instructor for my capstone course at TESU didn't have a doctorate degree, just an MBA. Schools that are more vocationally-focused are more likely to consider an MBA holder for a teaching position (typically an adjunct position), but in such cases their business career experience is often more experience than their degree.

So the answer is no... it won't allow you to teach at any 4-year public or private college, but it may allow you to teach at some of them. It depends on the school and its specific requirements.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
(08-16-2019, 07:03 AM)Merlin Wrote:
(08-15-2019, 09:08 PM)Imbanewbie Wrote: Another question, with an MBA accredited can you teach any 4 year public or private college ?

It depends on the school, but typically an MBA is not considered a degree for people going into academia, or at least not as an instructor... as an administrator, it makes more sense. If you're looking to become a college professor, you'll usually be looking for a PhD or DA degree of some kind. To teach in a business school, you'll probably be looking for a degree from a well-known research college that is AACSB accredited, and you'll be looking an MS or PhD/DA in your chosen business specialization.

That said, some schools do employ MBA holders as instructors. For example, the instructor for my capstone course at TESU didn't have a doctorate degree, just an MBA. Schools that are more vocationally-focused are more likely to consider an MBA holder for a teaching position (typically an adjunct position), but in such cases their business career experience is often more experience than their degree.

So the answer is no... it won't allow you to teach at any 4-year public or private college, but it may allow you to teach at some of them. It depends on the school and its specific requirements.

Thank you for answering my question. My school is a AACSB. I will see when I finish my MBA. I will look my option
NEXT: Considering DBA, DIT or PhD
In Progress: MSU MBA
                   Master in Project Management, University Isabel I / ENEB
                   Master in Big Data and Business Intelligent, University Isabel I, ENEB

Completed: WGU MS-CIA 2022
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
Sophia: Accounting (3), Project Management (3) Principles of Finance (3) 
Coursera: Google IT Certification, and Google Project Management.

(08-16-2019, 07:03 AM)Merlin Wrote:

I second this. I have seen a few business school instructors who solely had an MBA but they are few and far between...unless you look at smaller ACBSP schools. Personally, since I too want to move into academia, I decided an MBA would give me broad business knowledge since I did not have an undergraduate business degree and now I am going into what I want to specialize in with a MS in Finance. The MBA is a great degree but if you want to teach at the college level you definitely want a specialized degree versus a general degree.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
Regarding the use of Federal Financial Aid at foreign schools, please note: even if the school participates in the US Federal Financial Aid program, you cannot get student loans for distance learning at overseas schools. If you attend on-campus programs, fine, you can't live in the US, study at a distance with an international school, and get student aid.

However, if the school IS a participant in federal student aid, you can defer EXISTING student loans while enrolled, even as a distance learning student living in the US.
I've been trying to talk myself out of doing a PhD due to cost and lack of flexibility... and of course this board comes up with the perfect option  Big Grin
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
(08-21-2019, 05:52 PM)NolaRice Wrote: I've been trying to talk myself out of doing a PhD due to cost and lack of flexibility... and of course this board comes up with the perfect option  Big Grin

Hehe. Since my MBA is about done, I'm weighing my options for my next degree. I want to keep moving forward education-wise, but I think I'll be taking a break from academia until 2020 at least. It's time to get back into the workforce for a bit. But once I get settled in, and find an employer that is willing to subsidize my education, I'm torn between starting on a doctorate or going back for a specialized master's degree.

Considering I went from no degree to an AA, BS, and MBA in the course of 18 months, my wife is telling me that she's next. She already has a bachelor's degree but is considering an ALM in Creative Writing from Harvard Extension School. So it may be a while until I get a chance to start on a PhD or DBA. Smile
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:

WGU Ambassador
(08-21-2019, 06:44 PM)Merlin Wrote:
(08-21-2019, 05:52 PM)NolaRice Wrote: I've been trying to talk myself out of doing a PhD due to cost and lack of flexibility... and of course this board comes up with the perfect option  Big Grin

Hehe. Since my MBA is about done, I'm weighing my options for my next degree. I want to keep moving forward education-wise, but I think I'll be taking a break from academia until 2020 at least. It's time to get back into the workforce for a bit. But once I get settled in, and find an employer that is willing to subsidize my education, I'm torn between starting on a doctorate or going back for a specialized master's degree.

Considering I went from no degree to an AA, BS, and MBA in the course of 18 months, my wife is telling me that she's next. She already has a bachelor's degree but is considering an ALM in Creative Writing from Harvard Extension School. So it may be a while until I get a chance to start on a PhD or DBA. Smile

That's extremely impressive. I've been preaching the benefits of non-traditional education and alternative college credits around me. So many people have a mental block and think that a bachelors' degree takes 4 years and must be done butt in seat. Yay for your wife going back to school, so exciting!

How many months did it take you to complete the BS and MBA, individually?

Maybe I'll see you around in 2020 when we're both applying to PhD programs  Tongue
----
TESU ASNSM Mathematics, BACS, BALS Psychology 2020 graduate 
(08-21-2019, 07:07 PM)NolaRice Wrote:
(08-21-2019, 06:44 PM)Merlin Wrote: Hehe. Since my MBA is about done, I'm weighing my options for my next degree. I want to keep moving forward education-wise, but I think I'll be taking a break from academia until 2020 at least. It's time to get back into the workforce for a bit. But once I get settled in, and find an employer that is willing to subsidize my education, I'm torn between starting on a doctorate or going back for a specialized master's degree.

That's extremely impressive. I've been preaching the benefits of non-traditional education and alternative college credits around me. So many people have a mental block and think that a bachelors' degree takes 4 years and must be done butt in seat. Yay for your wife going back to school, so exciting!

How many months did it take you to complete the BS and MBA, individually?

Maybe I'll see you around in 2020 when we're both applying to PhD programs  Tongue

Well, not including the 8 credits from CC and the 15 credits I earned via CLEP back in 2011, I ended up earning the balance of credits toward my AA and BS in about 10 months.

I completed all but one of my MBA courses in 3.5 months; since then I have been waiting on the capstone which has timed starts and a group project element which has been slowing me down. I should be done sometime next month, which means between 5-6 months overall for the MBA.

Complete:

WGU Ambassador

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any suggestion for online DBA doyouhowdo1 23 759 Yesterday, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Leedeedee
  Most Affordable Online PhD in CompSci or Cybersecurity wiresandscreens 34 3,096 02-16-2024, 03:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online doctorate degrees Malaysia Johann1 6 845 02-08-2024, 01:52 AM
  2024 Online EdD Programs No Dissertation Required (Applied Capstone Projects) Imbanewbie 2 484 02-08-2024, 01:36 AM
  Looking for 2 year DBA online Bob Sham 42 6,842 01-04-2024, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Johann1
  Online MS Biological Sciences - 8 Months - Automatic Admission to Medical School Captainrekt000 4 506 12-07-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  ABA Considers Accrediting Exclusively Online Law Schools Jonathan Whatley 1 420 12-01-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ashkir
  Texila American University - $7800 online PhD (multiple fields) Kalas 9 1,461 11-07-2023, 05:33 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  New ABA Accredited Online JD mcjon77 1 606 10-24-2023, 03:27 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
Question Absolute cheapest online JD program? Randyb100 22 11,432 10-23-2023, 04:40 PM
Last Post: nkout1983