Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for science credits
You should always confirm your schools requirements and get approval before doing anything for transfer credit. In my case, I could have done the Straighterline partnership school transfer and gotten grades but I opted to have ACE transcript my credit instead. And sending in my ACE transcript meant no letter grade. But that very well may very by school.
I think it's a good idea to check the school's transfer and credit-by-exam policy before making a decision. However, I strongly disagree with those who suggest taking a class or two to fill the science requirement. Any class you take will be way more work than preparing for the DSST Environment & Humanity, DSST Astronomy or DSST Intro to Computing, and that is definitely the case with New Mexico Junior College's courses. I've taken all of their biology lab courses, and I would never suggest them to someone who dreads science and just wants to get it out of the way. Such a situation is ripe for CLEP/DSST testing. They are good classes, but for nursing students and science majors, not for people who dread science requirements. The exams also cost a lot less.
Thanks for all of the replies! I appreciate the help!

I am in a science course right now. I am going to see how it goes but if I drop it I think the CLEP is the way to go. Study for that for a month or so and get it out of the way...I hope!
Yenisei Wrote:I think it's a good idea to check the school's transfer and credit-by-exam policy before making a decision. However, I strongly disagree with those who suggest taking a class or two to fill the science requirement. Any class you take will be way more work than preparing for the DSST Environment & Humanity, DSST Astronomy or DSST Intro to Computing, and that is definitely the case with New Mexico Junior College's courses. I've taken all of their biology lab courses, and I would never suggest them to someone who dreads science and just wants to get it out of the way. Such a situation is ripe for CLEP/DSST testing. They are good classes, but for nursing students and science majors, not for people who dread science requirements. The exams also cost a lot less.

Yenisei, but you're a science rock star. Some of us REALLY have a hard time with this subject. Not to be contradictory, I'm just sayin. For me, my classes were longer but easier in terms of what I had to learn.
It all depends on the school you're attending. If that school accepts Intro to Computing as science credit, it's easier than doing anything else, even for those who struggle with science. Intro to Computing is not a hardcore, science test. You don't have to understand theories and memorize equations; you don't even have to memorize a lot of facts. If you use a computer, most of the content will be extremely familiar; the IC flashcards will cover any gaps.
The more I have looked into Straighterline the more I like it over the CLEP. Not having any previous courses in Biology I think it would be difficult for me to remember enough to pass the CLEP test.

I sent someone in the transfer department at my school an email seeing if they accept Straighterline for science credits. Even if they don't I am wondering if I can have the credits I earn through Straighterline at a school (like community college) and then transfer them to my school.
allinone Wrote:The more I have looked into Straighterline the more I like it over the CLEP. Not having any previous courses in Biology I think it would be difficult for me to remember enough to pass the CLEP test.

I sent someone in the transfer department at my school an email seeing if they accept Straighterline for science credits. Even if they don't I am wondering if I can have the credits I earn through Straighterline at a school (like community college) and then transfer them to my school.

What you refer to is credit laundering, and it sadly won't work. Your school's transfer policy will determine if a credit counts, no matter how many other institutions DO count it on THEIR transcript.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 7 1,538 04-06-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Rubeferry18
  AP Computer Science A homeschoolmom1 7 283 03-20-2024, 08:38 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding IDSS (through the MITx micromaster for data science path) blablablox 0 227 03-06-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: blablablox
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 1,957 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Offspring and Descendents Lead Singers On Why They Got Science PhDs Jonathan Whatley 9 1,324 02-16-2024, 10:37 PM
  If I transfer OTHM Diploma into US University, will they be counted as RA credits? lucillegyl 7 720 02-15-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: lucillegyl
  Introductory data science courses inor 6 606 02-08-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: fmsoa
  No ACE credits on ACTFL exam? Aikuroa 12 1,261 01-09-2024, 07:05 PM
Last Post: vetvso
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 681 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Salvaging FEMA credits CaughtInTheRye12 6 528 12-28-2023, 11:57 PM
Last Post: CaughtInTheRye12