Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DSST: Principles of Public Speaking
annegirl Wrote:I too am getting ready for this test. I am not sure at all what to expect. Is the speech part just written down or do you have to give it to someone? Thanks!
degree_driven08 Wrote:I am getting ready to conquer DANTES Principles of Speech. Any more suggestions for what to study and how to be prepared to give the impromtu speech part of the test? Does it really take that long to get your results back? I've never taken a Dantes before.
Thanks for any feedback!

Did both of you get the chance to review the feedback in the Specific Feedback section? Here is a direct link: http://www.instantcertonline.com/forums/...-dsst.html. Hopefully the feedback will give you enough information about what to expect and how to best prepare.

I haven't personally taken this "exam", but from reading the posts it doesn't look like you have to turn in your speech to anyone afterwards. (If I'm wrong, someone please correct me!). Rolleyes

Good luck to both of you! We're all rooting for you!

JoAnne Smile
BS - General Business - June 2007
Excelsior College
Kiwi Lover Wrote:Did both of you get the chance to review the feedback in the Specific Feedback section? Here is a direct link: http://www.instantcertonline.com/forums/...-dsst.html. Hopefully the feedback will give you enough information about what to expect and how to best prepare.

I haven't personally taken this "exam", but from reading the posts it doesn't look like you have to turn in your speech to anyone afterwards. (If I'm wrong, someone please correct me!). Rolleyes

JoAnne Smile

Well I feel sheepish! I just finished looking through all the posts from others who have taken this test. I am thinking of taking it this Friday along with American History. Wish me luck!!
~Autumn

Master of Arts - Emergency and Disaster Management - Estimated Completion 2014
Bachelor of Science Human Services in Emergency Disaster Services - TESC- December 2009
Culinary Arts Certificate - Boise State University 2002

Education teaches a man to spell experience.Big Grin
Kiwi Lover Wrote:Did both of you get the chance to review the feedback in the Specific Feedback section? Here is a direct link: http://www.instantcertonline.com/forums/...-dsst.html. Hopefully the feedback will give you enough information about what to expect and how to best prepare.

JoAnne Smile

Actually....you are allowed ten minutes to write an outline once you are given the subject. You then have to make the 3-5 minute speech into a tape recorder, in front of the test proctor. The tape is then sent, with your outline, to be graded by a professor. So yes, the taped speech is sent off and no, you don't get feedback on it if you fail, just that you failed.

I failed this the first time but passed the second because I practiced my outlines for several days before the exam, I just happened to get one of the subjects I practiced on so I had the outline already written in my head. Lee
[SIZE="2"]Associates Degree, Aviation Maintenance Technology, Community College of the Air Force[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]Bachelors of Science, Liberal Studies Degree, Excelsior [/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]MBA Human Resource Management, California Coast University[/SIZE]
BGN Wrote:Sorry, I have not been online the past week. I hope I am doing this correctly. Here is the link for the Mcgraw Hill site I spoke of. If you go to the student center it will have a outline of each chapter. I used this to prepare for the written and oral portion of the test

The Art of Public Speaking
i am taking my public speaking test on tues and am so nervous bc all ive heard is how everyone failed the speech portion of it. its good to hear someone is passing...lol. any advice? i feel like i am able to ome up with ideas but putting it all together to make sense seems almost impossible!
I am so freaking glad that after receiving a copy of my official transcripts from Excelsior College, they gave me 3 semester hours for Public Speaking/Speech for being a former Recruiter. hilarious
My buddy had to take the DSST and he didn't pass it 5 months ago. He is going to try it again next month. I told him to volunteer for recruiting duty so he didn't have to worry about it. He declined. Rolleyes
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Because the tape is sent to a University Professor for scoring, it takes 6-8 weeks to receive results. My son's took one day over the 8 weeks (yes, we were counting!).
I got my letter today... Just as I expected, I failed. This is what it says:

Public Speaking Speech Topic: FAIL
Principles of Public Speaking: 062
Overall Score: FAIL

Has anyone failed just the speaking part but passed the written part? Did you have to do the written part again? And since I got a score of 62 (technically a pass) would Thomas Edison accept it?
Don't worry about it too much I passed the written and failed the speech portion too. After that I just went ahead and took the class. The class was surprisingly lots of fun and an easy A. The experience I got from giving all those speeches (only 5) I think helped me with my, I guess I would call it anxiety to talk to a bunch of people. Not really stage fright because I have no problem talking to people, but I can easily see my improvements from my heart racing (first speech) to just do speech relaxed (last speech). Anyway I think you should go try the class.
[SIZE="2"]
Introduction to Sociology - 54/50
Analyzing and Interpreting Literature - 53/50
History 1 - 51/50
[SIZE="1"]Started using InstantCert [/SIZE]
College Mathematics - 61/50
History 2 - 53/50
American Government - 55/50
German - 56/50 ----FUCK I only needed a 60 for 6 more credits
Social Science & History - 61/50
College Composition - 50/50 lol
Intro to Computers - 408/400
College Algebra - 56/50
Principles of Management - 50/50
Ethics in America - 451/400
Principles of Statistics - 438/400
Principles of Finance - 411/400
Management Information Systems - 451/400
Principles of Marketing - 62/50
Intro to World Religions - 454/400
Business Law I - 50/50

75/60[/SIZE]
im going to try this test also
I took the DSST for Principles of Public Speaking on Feb 1 2011 and I just received my results via mail today (3/4/2011) and I passed it. Big Grin

I was very worried about the "Speech" portion of this test because I get nervous giving speeches but im happy I passed.

I scored a "Pass" on the speech portion and a 52 on the writing portion of the test.
I recommend anyone planning in taking this test to do at least a couple hours of studying on this INSTANTCERT website because it was helpful but along with that I recommend you use the following websited that were posted above by other prior test takers;

The Art of Public Speaking
Succeed in Public Speaking - School for Champions
http://wps.ablongman.com/ab_public_speaking_2/

This was the last CLEP/DSST test that I will take because I am nearing degree completion for my BA. I sure wish there were DSST/CLEP test that I could take for Graduate classes.

If anyone knows of any graduate level DSST/CLEP courses please let me know as I am considering moving to a Masters program in the future.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,590 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Masters in Public Admin Mike Williams 11 1,836 06-17-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: teejayb
  Where did they go? Kids missing from public schools bjcheung77 5 661 02-16-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Art of the Western World, Has anyone taken the DSST? jessjoy23 26 6,463 02-13-2023, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Danielcraig007
  From 3 Struggling Public Colleges, a New University Emerges LevelUP 2 756 08-24-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: allvia
  DeSantis signs bill limiting tenure at Florida public universities Pats20 34 3,029 07-16-2022, 04:36 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Arizona Families who bail on public school will get $7,000 per kid smartdegree 9 1,482 07-02-2022, 04:19 PM
Last Post: smartdegree
  DSST Exam online gams007 3 1,180 11-23-2021, 09:16 PM
Last Post: NoStudentNoCry
  DSST - Health and Human Development Silly_Me 6 3,113 04-30-2021, 08:58 AM
Last Post: ctcarl
  DANTES to DSST natshar 9 1,706 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM
Last Post: rachel83az