Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Davar, ModernStates, Saylor or Straighterline
Hi.
I went back to college after many years and am (finally) at the final leg.. for whatever the reason I still need to take classes for 4 core subjects: Eng Comp 1 and 2, Science and Math. Which do you recommend? I have looked at all the websites for Davar Academy, ModernStates, Saylor and Straighterline and find all them of somewhat confusing. Which makes the most sense for me? Thanks so much.. !!
(12-26-2019, 11:10 PM)cyndigee Wrote: Hi.
I went back to college after many years and am (finally) at the final leg.. for whatever the reason I still need to take classes for 4 core subjects: Eng Comp 1 and 2, Science and Math. Which do you recommend? I have looked at all the websites for Davar Academy, ModernStates, Saylor and Straighterline and find all them of somewhat confusing. Which makes the most sense for me? Thanks so much.. !!

Depends on your math skills, CLEP (Free thru Modern States) or ALEKS Math (It was $20/month last time I took it).
Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM in Mathematics - 54/61  (Graduate by June 2020)
ASNSM in Computer Science - 55/61 (Graduate by June 2020)
BS in Health Services Technology - 106/120 (Graduate by December 2020)
BSBA General Management - 72/120 (Graduate by December 2020)

US Military Apprenticeship Program
Certificate in Medical Secretary - Earned in 2019
Certificate in Dental Assisting - Earned in 2019

Also what school are you getting your degree at? That is important because not all of those options will be accepted at all schools.
(12-26-2019, 11:35 PM)docmarvin Wrote:

Depends on your math skills, CLEP (Free thru Modern States) or ALEKS Math (It was $20/month last time I took it).

Thanks so very much for your reply..
My math skills are not that great..
which would you suggest in that case?

(12-26-2019, 11:48 PM)natshar Wrote:

Also what school are you getting your degree at? That is important because not all of those options will be accepted at all schools.

Thanks so much for your reply.
I have taken the majority of courses at Belleview University. I thought I'd receive credit for these 4 core classes, but was not to be.. I am eternally grateful to have this far, but am really stymied at this point.
Any help would be appreciated.
(12-26-2019, 11:55 PM)cyndigee Wrote:

I have taken the majority of courses at Belleview University. I thought I'd receive credit for these 4 core classes, but was not to be.. I am eternally grateful to have this far, but am really stymied at this point.

Ok so your courses are from Belleview but what school are you finishing the degree from? Belleview or somewhere else?
(12-27-2019, 12:27 AM)natshar Wrote:
(12-26-2019, 11:55 PM)cyndigee Wrote:

Ok so your courses are from Belleview but what school are you finishing the degree from? Belleview or somewhere else?
Bellevue University
You've listed a lot of options: ModernStates is a CLEP-prep course that gets you free vouchers to take CLEP exams; Davar is NCCRS-recommended for credit; Saylor and Straighterline are ACE-recommended for credit. Your college may not accept all of these.

You also didn't say what the math & science requirements are for your degree, so I'm going to go by what they list on their website: https://www.bellevue.edu/admissions-tuit...t-listings

For English 101/102, you have 2 options:
1) College Composition (with Essay) CLEP exam - and it will take 10 weeks to get your score; this covers both EN101/102
2) College Comp Modular (no essay required) CLEP exam (EN101) PLUS the Principles of Advanced English Composition DSST exam (EN102)

For math, if you just need the easiest, I would either go with
1) College Math CLEP exam (MA101/102)
2) Math for Liberal Arts DSST exam (math elective I think)

For science, there are 6 options between CLEP & DSST, I wouldnt' be good at any of them, so I have no suggestions for you. CLEP are more general but wide, while DSST looks to be more concentrated on a single subject.

Finally, it looks like Straighterline is a partner school, but I can't find where they will take credits from other course providers; so you could check to see if they accepted Sophia, Study.com, Saylor, etc. Then, you can make a more educated choice in where to take courses if you want to do that rather than test out.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Thank you so much dfrecore for all your help!! very much appreciated!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Missing Straighterline credits on credly yc1981 2 81 Yesterday, 07:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  The official guide to courses by Straighterline, Study, et al: We want YOUR input! aviator guy 378 464,633 03-18-2024, 07:25 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Saylor business classes jb111 4 299 03-14-2024, 08:00 PM
Last Post: Chimera
Brick MAT150 - Straighterline - Final Exam riteshvpandya 2 261 02-26-2024, 11:31 PM
Last Post: riteshvpandya
  Is the Introduction to Religion REL 101 proctored exam at Straighterline open book? Breaachh 2 272 02-16-2024, 10:49 PM
  Missing Credly Badges form StraighterLine legenwait4itdary 2 366 01-26-2024, 12:44 PM
  Davar Academy experience - MAN-330 International Management TopHatWombat 6 1,292 12-30-2023, 01:22 AM
Last Post: mariobros1985
  StraighterLine: do I have to complete everything to finish a course? jch 3 665 11-11-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: jch
  Straighterline Bio Lab Invoice reir 0 414 11-02-2023, 04:24 PM
Last Post: reir
  Straighterline etc - Graduate Credits in Education? nykorn 5 580 10-22-2023, 07:56 PM