Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decided on NCU for a PhD in Business Administration
After much thought, I have decided to pursue the PhD in Business Administration at NCU.
I finished my MBA there and I totally dig the style of coursework. I found out that my company will reimburse for a PhD so I submitted the paperwork, which has been signed by the next 2 bosses up the chain from me.
Earlier I thought the company would only cover a cert so I enrolled in the CAGS in E-Commerce.
Now that I know they will cover the entire PhD I am going to do a general business PhD with a sampling of courses from information systems, ecommerce, information security, applied computer science, and management.
I am going to have to proceed slowly through the program to maximize the amount of tuition assistance I can get. This is really going against the grain for me and it will take all of my self control to not finish courses faster than 8 weeks. I just have to sit back and enjoy the work slowly.

I am currently half way done with my first course in e-commerce.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Simply amazing! a PhD!!
I wish you the best in moving forward, we all know you will make it happen!
Wonderful decision! Congratulations.
Thanks guys. I think it will take 2.5 years to finish this thing.
ryoder Wrote:Thanks guys. I think it will take 2.5 years to finish this thing.

That's great news, 2.5 years from now I will be right around the corner to retire from the Military. So I should be calling you "Doc" by the time I get out. And atleast people will start calling me by my first name instead of my rank. Smile
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
ryoder Wrote:...I found out that my company will reimburse for a PhD...

That'$ the best new$ of all - Congrat$!
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
2.5 years for coursework and dissertation, and all paid for by the company? That's amazing. Way to go dude! I smell executive grooming in progress here... :coolgleam:

My late boss and mentor had his PhD from Nova Southeastern, and he told me that a friend of his who went through there did his in 3 years which was considered ridiculously fast. I work with a master sergeant who is working on his PhD right now in quality management (Six Sigma type stuff). His school has him complete all coursework in 2 years and they start the dissertation in the first class and work on it concurrently, so they graduate with their PhD in that 2 years. Until now his was the only program I'd ever heard that went that fast. He also mentioned that he's about a year in and about half his cohort has already disappeared. We have another doc at work who said that's pretty standard, so expect there to be a 50+% washout rate in your path.

So... dissertation topic picked out yet? Smile
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
Actually my company tops out at 7.5K per year so I would need to stretch this out over 5 years to have it fully reimbursed. If I pay for half of it then I will be out of pocket about $20k which I can live with. I only said 2.5 years because of the reimbursement policy. 2.5 years will allow me to be reimbursed 3 times.
There are 20 courses for the PhD. 4 of them I have already taken at the MBA level, 6 are the concentration or general business courses and the other 10 are research methods, advanced stats, comprehensive exam and dissertation courses. The first 10-12 courses should not be a problem for me over the next 12-18 months. I think the dissertation will take me a year to complete, given what I have heard from others.

I have not chosen a topic yet, but I am always on the lookout for topics and have read so many scholarly research articles in information systems that navigating the literature will not be a problem when I do have to choose a topic. In my applied comp sci capstone, I identified an area in the literature that is lacking. I conducted a lit review on ERP systems implementations in recent years and found nothing tying old-school ERP systems to modern smart phone applications. I know there are products out there for this, both first and third party, but there is NOTHING written about it. My dissertation could actually be a massive lit review and a recommendation for future research I think.
Great job Ryan! Congrats!
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
Thanks Geezer. I am taking this slow so that I can get as many years of reimbursement in the process. My first 8 week course in e-commerce ends this weekend. I am writing a 12-15 page paper on security in e-commerce and mobile payment processing.
These topics are all very relevant to my current line of work.

Here is the course sequence for the certificate. I am in the first course.
1. e-commerce basics
2. e-commerce on the managerial level.
3. supply chain mgmt and design
4. e-commerce marketing
5. mobile e-commerce
6. e-commerce capstone

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 303 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Biden Administration's Student Loan Debt Plan Masterthread ashkir 47 4,614 04-20-2023, 02:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Business 150 - Figure It Out. bjcheung77 0 450 09-28-2022, 03:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Some Humanities Majors Fare Better than Business and CJ sanantone 3 1,627 10-29-2018, 01:34 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Student Loan Watchdog Quits, Blames Trump Administration allvia 7 1,604 08-28-2018, 01:18 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Interested in International Business? burbuja0512 2 1,198 06-12-2018, 09:30 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Warning: MUST Have STEM or Business Degree burbuja0512 11 2,961 02-25-2018, 04:58 AM
Last Post: burbuja0512
  Do you support the current Administration? Brichinica 14 2,820 02-22-2018, 02:33 PM
Last Post: Joeman200
  What sort of entry-level business-related jobs are there? Thorne 11 2,462 02-08-2018, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Bibby
  I decided to pull my child out of public schools - need help picking an online curric soliloquy 19 5,490 12-01-2016, 09:54 PM
Last Post: soliloquy