Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Decided to apply TESU. Advice Please
I have decided to join BA Computer Science. I am a fresh starter who completed GED recently and I own 0 credits from ace partners. I have talked with an admission counselor from TESU and he advice me that I apply for the program first and he informed me that after admission I will be provided a degree plan. According to him after that i can earn credits from straighterline etc upto 90 credits and get them transferred to TESU.

I would like to hear your guys inputs. Should I proceed with the application or first of all i should stack as much as credits i can before applying ?
It doesn't hurt to apply now to lock in your catalog. Just know that TESU won't help you find those ACE credits. They will still suggest their own courses every time. I would use any of the ACE providers available to knock out your general education courses first and transfer all those in as soon as possible. It doesn't have to come from straightline only. You can use Shmoop, study.com, sl, clep etc You'll want to take at least one course from study.com to get partnership pricing and a waiver for the cornerstone course. But you will need to take either the cornerstone course or a tecep to become an active student, otherwise you'll have to apply again and pay the $75 fee at some point in the future Teceps are cheaper so that would be my preference.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
Hey Shamin.

If I read that right then you're beginning with zero college credits thus far. Well....I've got awesome news for you my friend. Check out the link below to Modern States. If you take their online courses (which are free), complete the homework assignments and sample questions per course...you can then request a payment voucher which will allow you to take the CLEP exam for college credit. You will have to find a local testing center to take the exam and they usually charge between $20 to $30. Once you take and pass the exam...keep your testing center fee receipt and send that to Modern States and they will even reimburse you for the testing center fee!!! Gotta Love It.

I'm currently doing the Principles of Macroeconomics course and I'm halfway through the videos. All of the material you need to pass this course is there already for free (e.g. videos, slides, textbook). No better way to rack up free credits. They have 30 CLEP exams you can study and get college credit for for FREE. TAKE ADVANTAGE :-)

If you need anything else let us know. Good luck on your journey.

Sincerely,

Marshall

https://courses.modernstates.org/
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
Enrolled in BA in Liberal Studies - 105/120 Completed

Associate in Science, Excelsior College
Wow, Didn't knew about modernstates. I was going to buy tons of books on CLEP from eBay but I think will follow modernstates first. How's your experience with them? Do you think the materials are enough to pass the exams?

By the way I have applied to TESU. Waiting for response from them now xD Smile
(09-29-2017, 08:18 PM)shamin Wrote: Wow, Didn't knew about modernstates. I was going to buy tons of books on CLEP from eBay but I think will follow modernstates first. How's your experience with them? Do you think the materials are enough to pass the exams?

By the way I have applied to TESU. Waiting for response from them now xD Smile

It's been a pretty good experience thus far and don't have anything negative to say. I've only really used the videos thus far to complete the "homework assignments" which are really just short quizzes that pertain to the individual chapters/modules. I will not lie and say that it's fun because I just loathe economics that's why it's taking me soooo long to get through this. It's just a dry subject to me that I can't get into. I've fallen asleep multiple times watching the videos from this course, the ACDC economics guy and the Khan Academy videos!!! I'm forcing myself to just hurry up and get this over with so I can put this behind me...gotta get it done so I have to stop procrastinating.

As far as the materials being enough to pass. I'd be willing to say yes with the assistance of the videos, textbook and slides that are provided in the course materials. But you could also supplement them with Instantcert flashcards, Sparknotes, YouTube videos and books from your local library. At the beginning of my journey...I used books from the local library and would go through the flashcards on IC 2 or 3 times and I was always golden for the exam. This is a good resource as well...http://www.free-clep-prep.com/

Don't know what your favorite subjects are but I would highly recommend picking one of the CLEP exams that would be the least intimidating just to get in the flow since you've never taken a CLEP before. I would suggest CLEP College Composition with essay which will give you 6 credits and take care of the Written Communication requirement. Then I would take CLEP Analyzing & Interpreting Literature which will give you 6 credits. I took this class and all I had to do was read some passages of literature and answer questions based on what you just read. Then I would take Social Sciences & History which will also give you 6 credits. That's a good 18 credits right there outta the gate and will definitely get your mojo going! Here is the CLEP equivalency chart for TESU here: http://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/CL...rogram.cfm

I wish you well on your journey and we are all here to help you. Congratulations on putting in your application with TESU. Another CONGRATULATIONS for completing your GED....I'm very proud of you!!!
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
Enrolled in BA in Liberal Studies - 105/120 Completed

Associate in Science, Excelsior College
Did you know that if you score high enough in different sections of the GED, that you can get college credit for it? You might want to check to see if you got some credit on any of the areas.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,020 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,579 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,280 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,318 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore