Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree/Cert/Diploma in helping/psych fields?
I am looking for anything related to helping people learn/succeed, but mostly if it's somehow related to mental health / psych / behavior. I'm not sure about a basic social/human services degree unless it has a slant toward health/education. Preferrably something not too specific like Rehab/Drug.

After my BSBA, I was planning on a second Bachelor's in Psych. I'd rather just do a Grad program, but is there anything inexpensive that doesn't take a whole year or more? I don't want to do the Bachelor's, but feel like it might be my only option (to get something within 1 year or even 1.5 years).

I've looked a lot, and Psych seems to cost a lot compared to MBAs. I don't think there's anything under $8800. I have hope someone knows of a different "related" degree. For a good degree from a good school, I am willing to spend over a year, if needed.

Part of the difficulty is I'm really preferring one that's fully online (so obviously it would not be 'counseling' and would not lead to licensure). I have seen a lot of interesting degrees that were targeted to my career interests, but they were so expensive. (Some are over $50,000.)

Because of not finding cheaper Masters programs, I am also considering Diplomas/Certs (particularly ones I could apply toward Masters someday), but didn't find anything cheap either. Most of them seem to cost over half of what a Masters would cost.

If I don't find anything inexpensive and interesting, I'll plan to get a loan.

Capella University is the only school I know of that offers self-paced masters degrees in psych. They're for-profit, so the best reputation they can have is neutral/average. Rarely is a for-profit school known as being good.

California Southern University is not really self-paced, but I believe their courses can be completed faster than average. They are for-profit and do not accept financial aid.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
According to Distance Learning Portal, the following schools offer online masters level programs in psychology:

Walden University - self-paced (called Tempo Learning), offers a ton of different Psychology programs at the Masters level
University of Texas El Paso - self-paced, program for Rehabilitation Counseling
American Public University - self-paced, program for Psychology
California University of Pennsylvania - self-paced, program for Sport Psychology
University of Florida - self-paced (called Flexible Learning - you have 16 weeks to complete the course), program for School Psychology
University of West Georgia - self-paced, program for Psychology
University of North Dakota - self-paced, program for Forensic Psychology
National University - self-paced, program for Performance Psychology
University of Alabama at Birmingham - self-paced, program for School Psychometry
Kansas State University - self-paced, program for Psychology-Industrial and Organizational
The City University of New York - self-paced, program for Psychology
Ball State University - self-paced, program for Educational Psychology
University of Nebraska-Lincoln - self-paced, program for Child, Youth and Family Studies
University of Nevada-Reno - self-paced, program for Behavior Analytic Studies
Eastern Illinois University - self-paced, program for Aging Studies
University of Minnesota - self-paced, program for Integrative Health and Well-Being Coaching

Hope this is helpful.
sanantone Wrote:Capella University is the only school I know of that offers self-paced masters degrees in psych. They're for-profit, so the best reputation they can have is neutral/average. Rarely is a for-profit school known as being good.

California Southern University is not really self-paced, but I believe their courses can be completed faster than average. They are for-profit and do not accept financial aid.

Thanks!

Here is what I found on those, if it helps anyone else:

Capella is expensive on a per-course basis, but their FlexPath option sounds good. It's $2,400 every 12-week billing session. However they are mostly 55 credit degrees. Some 50 credit.

It seems CSU is too expensive (over $20K for the Masters, and certificates are $9000). Although they have a payment plan option.

Ideas Wrote:Capella is expensive on a per-course basis, but their FlexPath option sounds good. It's $2,400 every 12-week billing session. However they are mostly 55 credit degrees. Some 50 credit.

They're quarter units though (i'm fairly sure), so this is more like 37 credits in the semester unit world.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
tanderson9 Wrote:According to Distance Learning Portal, the following schools offer online masters level programs in psychology:

Walden University - self-paced (called Tempo Learning), offers a ton of different Psychology programs at the Masters level
University of Texas El Paso - self-paced, program for Rehabilitation Counseling
American Public University - self-paced, program for Psychology
California University of Pennsylvania - self-paced, program for Sport Psychology
University of Florida - self-paced (called Flexible Learning - you have 16 weeks to complete the course), program for School Psychology
University of West Georgia - self-paced, program for Psychology
University of North Dakota - self-paced, program for Forensic Psychology
National University - self-paced, program for Performance Psychology
University of Alabama at Birmingham - self-paced, program for School Psychometry
Kansas State University - self-paced, program for Psychology-Industrial and Organizational
The City University of New York - self-paced, program for Psychology
Ball State University - self-paced, program for Educational Psychology
University of Nebraska-Lincoln - self-paced, program for Child, Youth and Family Studies
University of Nevada-Reno - self-paced, program for Behavior Analytic Studies
Eastern Illinois University - self-paced, program for Aging Studies
University of Minnesota - self-paced, program for Integrative Health and Well-Being Coaching

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks!

University of West Georgia - Psychology is not online. I don't like any of the online ones.
Kansas State University - Out of state is $909.50/cr.
The City University of New York - They are doctoral programs. Masters programs are in different fields. (Strange.)
Walden University - I don't like the programs offered through Tempo Learning.
American Public University - a course is $1050 or $1,400
Ball State University - $590/cr out of state, plus $168/semester tech fee.
University of Nebraska-Lincoln - haven't been able to find fees online. 36 credit hour programs.
University of Nevada-Reno - haven't been able to find fees online. They also have a MS in Human Development and Family Studies.
Eastern Illinois University - blended (hybrid).
National University - $1,872 per course, so I am sure I can find something more suitable.
University of Texas El Paso - has required field work.
University of Florida - has a year long internship.
University of Alabama at Birmingham - not the type of degree I would want, but interesting.
University of Minnesota - interesting but blended.

I didn't look at forensic and sport psychology programs.

Capella looks great, except they don't seem to allow someone to finish in 2 terms. The capstone always gets forced to the 3rd term even when the 2nd term only has 4 classes (and you choose that you want do to 6 classes a term). So Masters would be about $7200+, which is still great, but not like the MBA programs, and I'd probably have to go only for the Bachelors due to time and money, at least for now Sad If it's possible to finish in 2 terms, that changes everything.

If you want to look at an existing list, DegreeInfo forum has a long one for masters: Tired of comparing $ for Masters in Psychology
and another long one for doctorates: PsyD online?
cookderosa Wrote:If you want to look at an existing list, DegreeInfo forum has a long one for masters: Tired of comparing $ for Masters in Psychology
and another long one for doctorates: PsyD online?

Thanks. I have seen them. Nothing seems to beat Capella. I am surprised there are not more cheap Grad Cert/Diplomas though.

don't know if this is something you'd be interested in

grad certificate
Behavioral Intervention in Autism
https://continuinged.uml.edu/certificate...ficate.cfm

courses can later be applied to the
Master's Degree in Curriculum and Instruction: Autism Studies Option, M.Ed.
https://continuinged.uml.edu/education/m...autism.cfm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 5 140 Yesterday, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  LLB degree for Australia Atoshi 7 394 04-13-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  UK Level 7/8 Diploma Questions bennyoftheD 22 2,625 03-10-2024, 02:20 AM
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,077 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 26 4,718 02-18-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: ITdegree
  British Master’s degree for £1,950 armado 23 4,005 02-17-2024, 01:55 AM
Last Post: lincolnlawyer
  Online Psych Masters from VIU, WES Canada eligible? Earind_00 6 1,331 01-31-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: muca3
  NAU is ending their PL MOL degree Ebroady23 5 840 01-19-2024, 02:28 PM
Last Post: kai1120
Thumbs Up Will graduate schools in the United States and abroad accept an online college degree shoron 47 6,652 01-15-2024, 11:18 PM
  Seeking affordable online interior design degree lumina 12 1,304 12-14-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley