Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Completion Advice Pierpont/TESU
Good afternoon. I am so glad we found this amazing community! I am hoping some of the more experienced experts here can help my wonderful DH find an easier path to complete his educational/career goals than he is currently on.

He wants to be considered for a new job opportunity asap, but the lack of a degree is holding him back atm. Additionally he is completely burnt out between work and school. So ideally he is looking for the shortest path to degree completion, but hopes to maximize his credits.

He has applied for the Pierpont BOG AAS and has been accepted. His transcripts are in the process of being forwarded and reviewed. Nancy informally reviewed his credit hours and indicated she believes he has all of the credits necessary to graduate this December. She has been absolutely wonderful and very responsive to all of his inquiries, including emailing him over the weekend. However, since this degree concentration is unknown until a review is complete its unclear how useful it will be towards applying for the new job. Something does seem better than nothing at this point though and he can confer in December as opposed to waiting until March/June of next year at TESU. 

On the other hand, (unless I am mistaken) he appears to be very close to completing either a TESU BS in Technical Studies/Computer Science and maybe even picking up one or more of the ASNSM (biology/math/computer science) degrees along the way. Possibly even an Undergraduate Certificate in CIS. Any and/or all of these degrees would be directly towards his current and future career goals so really it will ultimately boil down to how fast and how much will it cost him in deciding what seems worthwhile. I am trying to help him decide whether to take slightly more time and complete a dual major (Technical Studies/Computer Science) or simply choose one for now that would allow him to graduate quickly and take a much earned break so he can focus on anything other than studying every free hour he has, as well as improve his chances for the new job opportunity.  Smile

I am not 100% certain where his credits will fall (if anyone wouldn't mind helping to put together a degree completion plan for him that would be such a big help) but if I am understanding the TESU degree information on their website correctly for the Technical Studies degree I think he may only be missing Chem/Physics I/II w/labs and the capstone and for the CS major I believe he is only missing Calc, Operating Systems, Data Architecture, and the Capstone. For the ASNSM biology I think he would only need a couple more courses at Study.com to complete and I am not sure what if anything he would be missing with the ASNSM Math/CS. For the Undergrad Certificate I believe all he may need is the MIS course. So I think he is very close to something much more quickly and affordable than his current program, we are just not sure what yet or which path he should take at this point. 

This left us with a few questions. 

1) How do multiple degrees/certificates work? Is a dual major the same as a second bachelors (he may want to finish the Game Software Development degree in the future and does not want to eliminate that as an option just yet, if possible). 

2) Does TESU have a limit on how many degrees/certificates you can earn through them? For example could he complete the 10 or so missing courses I believe he would need still and graduate with a BS Technical Studies/CS as well as an ASNSM (bio/math/cs), and the Undergrad Cert in CIS? In other words, is there any reason he could not complete them all if he finishes the few missing courses in each? I am guessing there would be some roadblock, but that may help us narrow down his choices as well which could be very helpful too. 

3) Would he need to do a capstone for both the Tech Studies degree AND the CS degree if he completed them at the same time? They appear to be very different capstones. 

4) Are there any known test out options for the Data Architecture and Operating System courses TESU requires for the CS degree? I don't think he has any courses completed that would cover those 2 classes. 

5) He loves all sciences, but has only taken biology I/II w/labs. He was very excited that physics was possibly an option to complete his program. It is my understanding TESU will not waive this requirement for the Technical Studies degree. So it appears the easiest and cheapest path for him would be to take the Study.com Physics I/II courses, the Lab I at SL and the Lab II through TESU. Does anyone have any experience with the SL Physics/TESU lab courses that they could share any advice for him. Are they both self paced? Would the lack of course continuity be problematic in completing either of these lab courses? Is there a better option to knock out the Chem/Physics I/II course/lab requirements we are not seeing and considering? He definitely does not want to do any more college term course work than necessary since attending school f/t around work has been rough to say the least. So the preference would be test out/self paced courses.

6) Aside from some additional time/money is there any reason he could/should not declare a dual major in Tech Studies/CS that we are overlooking?

7) Are there any degree planning experts that could review his tons of credits and help us figure out where they would fall  into either of these degree paths so he can evaluate time/cost and plan according. He is taking a temporary break but financial aid payments will kick in Nov/Dec if he is not re-enrolled by then somewhere. Since part of him really wants to just be done with school at this point, if there is a fast and affordable path to him finishing that we are not seeing, all advice would be greatly appreciated. I am including his earned credits to date so far below. 

8) And finally (for now at least) with the Pierpont BOG AAS graduation being in Dec, does he need to wait to enroll in TESU until that degree has conferred? Has anyone else had issues with taking courses at TESU while waiting for degree conferral at Pierpont? His thought is that if he can not graduate by March due to being unable to enroll in either the capstone/lab course in time, he may as well just finish all the missing courses and do the dual major (if possible) and if not it may be more worthwhile for him just to do the Tech Studies major since it appears he could graduate by March if he can knock out the Physics and Capstone in time, if he truly is not missing anything else for that degree program.

Sorry for such a long post and thank you very much in advance for any help, suggestions, or advice! Here is everything he has earned so far, if anyone wants to take a crack at how these courses may transfer for him. 

Aleks
Intermediate Algebra 3CH

Mountain Empire Community College 
ENG111 College Composition I 3CH
ENG112 College Composition II 3CH
HIST101 Western Civilization 1 3CH
HIST102 World Civilization II 3CH
BIO101 General Biology I 4CH
BIO102 General Biology II 4CH
ITE115 Intro Computer Apps & Concepts 3CH
ITE215 Advanced Computer Literacy 3CH 
ELE110 Home Electric Power 3CH
ACC105 Office Accounting 3CH
32 Semester Credit Hours

Shenandoah University - Psychology Major
MATH207 Intro To Statistics A 3CH
SPAN201 Intermediate Spanish I B+ 3CH
FYS101 Impress & Express of India A 3CH
PSY220 Child Development A+ 3CH
PSY101 General Psychology A 3CH
[b]15 Semester Credit hours[/b]

APUS - Compute Science Major

COLL100 (Foundations of Online Learning) B+ 3 Credit Hours
MATH111 (College Trigonometry) B 3 Credit Hours
ECON 101 (Microeconomics) C+ 3 Credit Hours
IRLS210 (International Relations I) B+ 3 Credit Hours
LITR201 (World Literature through the Renaissance) B- 3 Credit Hours
RUSS100 (Russian 1) C- 3 Credit Hours
INFO161(Relational Databases with MS Access: Introduction) C+ 3 Credit Hours
WEBD121(Web Development Fundamentals) A 3 Credit Hours
WEBD241(Web Development Using Javascript) C 3 Credit Hours
ENTD200(Fundamentals of Programming) A 3Credit Hours
ENTD211(Intro to Software Design) A 3 Credit Hours
PSYC102 (Professional Careers and Education in Psychology A 3 Credit Hours
CHFD220 (Human Sexuality) A 3 Credit Hours
CHFD342 (Human Lifespan Development) A 3 Credit Hours (UL)
42 Semeste Credit Hours

Baker College - Software Game Development
QUARTER HOURS
COL 112 College Success Online Pass 0CH
CIS114 Database Fundamentals B+ 2CH
CS101 Principles of Computer Science B+ 4CH
WRI115 Workplace Communication C 4CH
HUM401 Philosophy of Ethics B+ 4CH [b](UL)[/b]
SPK201 Oral Communication A- 4CH
CIS310 Visual BASIC A 4CH [b](UL)[/b]
ENG231 Language and Culture B- 4CH
WEB111B Introduction to HTML A 4CH
CIS331 Database Management Using SQL A 4CH [b](UL)[/b]
MTH340 Discrete Mathematics B+ 4CH [b](UL)[/b]
CIS311 Advanced Visual BASIC A 4CH (UL)
CS217A C++ Programming A 4CH
CS218A Object Oriented Programming with C++ A- 4CH
SPK211 Group Dynamics A 4CH
CS321 Data Structures and Algorithms I B- 4CH (UL)
PPM301 Project Management B- 4CH (UL)
62 Quarter Credit Hours

Semester Hours (Baker switched to Semester Hours midway through his program)

CS3220 Data Structures and Algorithms II A 3CH (UL)
CS3310 Application Security Practices A- 3CH (UL)
CS4110 Artificial Intelligence B 3CH(UL)
[b]9 Credit Hours[/b]

[b]Total: 98 Semester Hours and 62 Quarter Hours (no idea how these translate into semester hours at TESU)[/b]
TESU specifically only allows you to get 2 associates and 2 bachelors. So if he gets the pierpont BOG AAS as a "for now" degree he would only be able to get one of the ASNSMs from TESU. There is no limit to how many of the undergrad certificates he can get(I think one user here has gotten 5 or more). So he could get the CS and/or CIS undergrad certificate(s) plus the BIO ASNSM plus 2 of the BS degrees. As for if Baker would let him finish his game development degree there after geting 1 or more BS's, you'd have to contact them or look up their policy.

As for science labs: "5) He loves all sciences, but has only taken biology I/II w/labs. He was very excited that physics was possibly an option to complete his program. It is my understanding TESU will not waive this requirement for the Technical Studies degree. So it appears the easiest and cheapest path for him would be to take the Study.com Physics I/II courses, the Lab I at SL and the Lab II through TESU. Does anyone have any experience with the SL Physics/TESU lab courses that they could share any advice for him. Are they both self paced? Would the lack of course continuity be problematic in completing either of these lab courses? Is there a better option to knock out the Chem/Physics I/II course/lab requirements we are not seeing and considering? He definitely does not want to do any more college term course work than necessary since attending school f/t around work has been rough to say the least. So the preference would be test out/self paced courses."

Physics 1 and 2 are cheaper at Saylor(only $25 each). But it also depends on how he feels about the format. Saylor may be less structured and passing or failing hinges solely on the proctored final. Yes the phy 1 lab at SL is about the cheapest. keep an eye open for SL promo codes. He will also need to buy a lab kit through them (~$100) TESU phy 2 lab has a ~$125 lab kit. Straighterline, study.com, saylor are all self paced. TESU labs are 6 weeks long. chem 1 lab can be done through ed4credit (self paced) for $65 plus ~$100 lab kit. ed4credit promo code for $25 off: Sunshine2018.

straighterline promo codes:
https://www.straighterline.com/landing/c...ion-codes/
&
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...de?page=37
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • shadowgem
(08-15-2018, 03:00 PM)MNomadic Wrote: TESU specifically only allows you to get 2 associates and 2 bachelors. So if he gets the pierpont BOG AAS as a "for now" degree he would only be able to get one of the ASNSMs from TESU. There is no limit to how many of the undergrad certificates he can get(I think one user here has gotten 5 or more). So he could get the CS and/or CIS undergrad certificate(s) plus the BIO ASNSM plus 2 of the BS degrees. As for if Baker would let him finish his game development degree there after geting 1 or more BS's, you'd have to contact them or look up their policy.

As for science labs: "5) He loves all sciences, but has only taken biology I/II w/labs. He was very excited that physics was possibly an option to complete his program. It is my understanding TESU will not waive this requirement for the Technical Studies degree. So it appears the easiest and cheapest path for him would be to take the Study.com Physics I/II courses, the Lab I at SL and the Lab II through TESU. Does anyone have any experience with the SL Physics/TESU lab courses that they could share any advice for him. Are they both self paced? Would the lack of course continuity be problematic in completing either of these lab courses? Is there a better option to knock out the Chem/Physics I/II course/lab requirements we are not seeing and considering? He definitely does not want to do any more college term course work than necessary since attending school f/t around work has been rough to say the least. So the preference would be test out/self paced courses."

Physics 1 and 2 are cheaper at Saylor(only $25 each). But it also depends on how he feels about the format. Saylor may be less structured and passing or failing hinges solely on the proctored final. Yes the phy 1 lab at SL is about the cheapest. keep an eye open for SL promo codes. He will also need to buy a lab kit through them (~$100) TESU phy 2 lab has a ~$125 lab kit. Straighterline, study.com, saylor are all self paced. TESU labs are 6 weeks long. chem 1 lab can be done through ed4credit (self paced) for $65 plus ~$100 lab kit. ed4credit promo code for $25 off: Sunshine2018.

straighterline promo codes:
https://www.straighterline.com/landing/c...ion-codes/
&
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...de?page=37
Thank you for the feedback! I was thinking that TESU allowed a dual major/area of study, not two separate associate and bachelor degrees. It is something worth considering and possibly a reason not to go forward with the BOG AAS in the meantime. I'll have him check on Baker's policy on multiple degrees.

Also I had forgotten to check Saylor, so thank you for the reminder. Do we know for sure that TESU accepts Saylor's Phys 101/102 as Phys I and II equivalents? If so that may be a good alternative option for him to look at as they are much cheaper to complete. 

I wasn't aware of the ed4credit Chem Lab that's a great suggestion if he could find an equivalent Chem 1 course that was not downgraded by TESU. I don't think SL and Study.com courses would qualify for Chem I (based on the course equivalency transfer agreements) although I may be mistaken with that. I am not seeing anything on Saylor for chemistry. I've heard the Chemistry Clep is one of the more difficult ones, but that could be an option. Any other self paced options or providers that are known to transfer as Chem I at TESU? Chem I/Lab and Phys I/Lab would certainly be cheaper than taking the Phys II Lab at TESU.

And thank you very much for the promo codes!
If I was him I would choose whichever gets him to the bachelors quickest. Pick a degree and get it done! (& you have made it clear he has reached that point where personally he wants it done, and professionally he needs to check that box).  He already has what he needs for the ASNSM in Computer Science AOS, if he wants to add the ASNSM in Biology he could knock out his last credits easily with Straighterline - see my post here https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid266922

I glanced only quickly but it looks like he would be close to either the TESU BS in Technical Studies/Computer Science, but I'm sure you'll be getting feedback on those credits from others here. And if the Capstones are different for the degrees he would need both - another reason to pick one and be done.  He can work long term focus when he figures out a 'Master' plan  Smile
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • shadowgem
Actually if, as allvia pointed out, he already has what he needs for ASNSM CS at TESU then he could graduate there in December. He just has to submit all transcripts, fees, applications etc by October 1st. Not sure if they could process it all in time, though. I would say go ahead and apply at TESU today! And send all transcripts today as well. Then you can see where he stands on the different degrees to see which is faster/shorter and prioritize accordingly. I'm not sure about the other chem options, I plan to just do chem clep eventually.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
(08-15-2018, 04:37 PM)allvia Wrote: If I was him I would choose whichever gets him to the bachelors quickest. Pick a degree and get it done! (& you have made it clear he has reached that point where personally he wants it done, and professionally he needs to check that box).  He already has what he needs for the ASNSM in Computer Science, if he wants to add the ASNSM in Biology he could knock out his last credits easily with Straighterline - see my post here https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid266922

I glanced only quickly but it looks like he would be close to either the TESU BS in Technical Studies/Computer Science, but I'm sure you'll be getting feedback on those credits from others here. And if the Capstones are different for the degrees he would need both - another reason to pick one and be done.  He can work long term focus when he figures out a 'Master' plan  Smile

Thank you allvia.  Smile Great advice on finishing up the Biology credits. I think he was looking at Study.com due to the discounts with TESU. Would SL have any advantages over study.com? 

And yes you are absolutely right, he is ready to be done lol I think its just that he is so close to both that's its hard for him to decide. I think he is only missing the science/lab req and the capstone for the Tech Studies and then only Calc, Operating Sys, Data Arch and the capstone for the CS. Unless he can find a faster option for Op Sys and Data Arch it would take slightly longer to do those at TESU. However we could be completely wrong and he's missing a lot more for either or both, I'm not entirely sure lol And now learning that TESU does not allow for dual majors, picking one and being done does seem to make the most sense.
(08-15-2018, 04:52 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Actually if, as allvia pointed out, he already has what he needs for ASNSM CS at TESU then he could graduate there in December. He just has to submit all transcripts, fees, applications etc by October 1st. Not sure if they could process it all in time, though. I would say go ahead and apply at TESU today! And send all transcripts today as well. Then you can see where he stands on the different degrees to see which is faster/shorter and prioritize accordingly. I'm not sure about the other chem options, I plan to just do chem clep eventually.

He would miss Dec graduation, as the Capstone needed for that just started (Aug 6) and I'd say try to apply and enroll (late) for the Capstone this semester but it is still unclear which Capstone he's in need of depending on TS or CS.  However he could very likely be done and graduate in March if he enrolls in the (correct) Capstone by Nov - https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation

The sooner he applies and sends in transcripts the sooner he'll know his path - it dose take TESU weeks for that first evaluation.

What is this job opportunity? What he does do (or want to do), as that could be the deciding factor. If it really is just to get a bachelor then he may be even closer to a BALS
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

(08-15-2018, 04:52 PM)MNomadic Wrote: Actually if, as allvia pointed out, he already has what he needs for ASNSM CS at TESU then he could graduate there in December. He just has to submit all transcripts, fees, applications etc by October 1st. Not sure if they could process it all in time, though. I would say go ahead and apply at TESU today! And send all transcripts today as well. Then you can see where he stands on the different degrees to see which is faster/shorter and prioritize accordingly. I'm not sure about the other chem options, I plan to just do chem clep eventually.

I think he considered that option at first but having to pay a second residency waiver to complete whichever BS he chooses gave him pause. I'm not sure how much sense it would make to pay for the residency waiver twice given how close he is to earning a BS as well. 

I am thinking at least trying to clep Chemistry with the help of Modern States for free may be a good idea for him as well, now that you shared the Ed4Credit lab with us. It definitely seems like it may be the cheapest and fastest option for him.
Yes he would have to wait for graduation with his BS until after the capstone (and any other requirements) but if he needed an associates "sooner rather than later" for his job, he might(and this is a big maybe) be able to sneak in the ASNSM since it doesn't have a capstone.

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
CSM(3cr)
(08-15-2018, 05:26 PM)allvia Wrote:

He would miss Dec graduation, as the Capstone needed for that just started (Aug 6) and I'd say try to apply and enroll (late) for the Capstone this semester but it is still unclear which Capstone he's in need of depending on TS or CS.  However he could very likely be done and graduate in March if he enrolls in the (correct) Capstone by Nov - https://www.tesu.edu/current-students/gr...nformation

The sooner he applies and sends in transcripts the sooner he'll know his path - it dose take TESU weeks for that first evaluation.

What is this job opportunity? What he does do (or want to do), as that could be the deciding factor. If it really is just to get a bachelor then he may be even closer to a BALS
Sorry for some reason my first reply did not go through. 

With the BALS I think he may be done excepting the capstone requirement but that would still only be possible to complete by March at the earliest I think. The job opportunity is as a liquefied natural gas technician and is more closely related to what he currently does for a living, but for 2x the pay and in a much nicer location (with forced relocation), closer to family and with several internal opportunities for growth if he can get his foot in the door. He does have a strong inside reference and they look for candidates with his current experience as well as math/science/technical backgrounds and related degrees. 

His original plan was human factors engineering (a combination of computer science and psychology), but at this point he's not 100% sure yet of his long term goals. His passion is with sciences and computers which is why he has been working on CS/Soft Dev degree program and exploring psychology courses for the last few years. He just does not want to miss the opportunity for major current career growth while he works towards his future career goals.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont associates Query Jbloggs 9 357 56 minutes ago
Last Post: Jbloggs
Question Pierpont BOG AAS - AoE Graphics Technology Aikuroa 2 158 04-19-2024, 06:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  credit transfer process at Pierpont for AAS, BOG tdat314 8 546 04-17-2024, 12:49 AM
  International Students for Pierpont BOG AAS Program weelun 18 944 04-13-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: stevenphm
  Eligibility and Transfer Credits for Pierpont’s AAS Program akr680 19 743 04-10-2024, 06:45 PM
Last Post: akr680
  Pierpont BOG possible? JohnJ2024 4 802 04-03-2024, 03:53 PM
Last Post: mr_peanutbutter
  Pierpont price hike NOX 12 812 03-26-2024, 01:08 PM
  Credit sufficiency for Pierpoint BOG Degree w/ AoE in IS DEPY 6 516 03-17-2024, 11:55 AM
  Update: Pierpont does not require HS Transcripts if you previously attended college Ares 5 695 03-14-2024, 07:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 17 1,112 03-07-2024, 11:38 AM