Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trying to Figure Out Best Degree Option at TESC
I think you should apply to TESC and get a degree eval.
Once you do, you will be able to create your own evals instantly with their online tool.
Click a degree and see how your credits fill it in. It is great. You can save the eval off in a file so you can compare your current progress on any degree.
I think a BA Humanities would maximize the upper level humanities credits you have. TESC considers HUM, ENC, LIT courses as humanities courses for their broad interpretation of a humanities degree.

Another option is a BA in English or the BALS.

What are your career goals? In most cases a more focused degree is preferable to something very broad. I can't really hire a BALS as a computer programmer and they would probably not get hired as an accountant either.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Ryoder, I'll definitely be applying and getting the degree eval. Once you send them all your transcripts, how long does the initial evaluation generally take?

As for my career goals, I honestly don't know at this point, but it definitely won't be accounting or computer programming LOL

I'm in my late 40s. I spent the last 8 years self-employed, but the economy kicked my ass last year so I had to take a JOB, which is something I never saw myself doing again. I lucked out and was hired by an amazing company. I work for a large and expanding health insurance firm with a culture of internal promotion, but I honestly don't know what I want to do. I'm in Customer Service right now and they are paying for me to get my Producers license so I can take after hours sales calls, so we'll see if I like that, but I've also been thinking about Claims, and Billing. I will probably look into medical coding and healthcare certificates or maybe even a Masters once I finish my BA, but at this point my only goal is to complete the degree I originally started 30 years ago and get it over with so it is no longer dangling over my head as that thing I never accomplished.
embitca Wrote:Once you send them all your transcripts, how long does the initial evaluation generally take?

The initial evaluation usually takes 6-8 weeks.
BA in Natural Sciences/Mathematics, 2013 - TESC - Arnold Fletcher Award
AAS in Applied Computer Studies, 2013 - TESC
116 B&M Credits
32 FEMA Credits
9 ALEKS Credits - Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry
9 Straighterline Credits - Business Communication, Microeconomics, English Composition II
6 TESC Credits - Global Environmental Change
3 DSST Credits - Environment and Humanity
AlbaTiVo Wrote:The initial evaluation usually takes 6-8 weeks.

Wow, I better get cracking then!
So it sounds like a BSBA Gen Mgmt will work best for your career goals, but you can probably finish one of the more liberal studies oriented degrees quicker due to your lack of business courses.
I would perform a self-evaluation if I were you.
Pick a degree plan from the TESC website and put it into an excel spreadsheet. Add your courses to where you think they would fit. It takes some time but the process is rewarding and will help familiarize you with the degree plan.

Once you have your credits in place, then take a look at the testing out options for the other required courses. There are plenty of resources on this site and the degreeforum wikia page to help you determine which test will cover which course.

If you know of a course you must have regardless of degree, you should also begin studying for that. For example, I knew I needed one more history course so I picked up the US History I REA CLEP study guide and learned the material. I did this while thinking I would complete a different degree than my BSBA CIS, but the course was required for both so I didn't waste any time.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Just found out today that TESC accepted my application yesterday. I was a bit late getting my transcript in to them so I probably won't see the evaluation for several weeks yet, but I'm glad to get the Application out of the way. Also, I received a copy of my unofficial transcripts and it turns out that I have even more credits already earned than I thought -- I'm at 101 credits Smile Hopefully, TESC will accept them all and distribute them in such a way that I won't need to do much duplication of effort.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,154 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,816 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,619 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,752 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 4,941 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,938 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,303 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero