Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan – BS Math Major at Excelsior
Yenisei Wrote:Congratulations! 69th percentile is a superb result, NAP, especially when one remembers that the vast majority of those taking this exam have studied these topics at the undergrad level and are going to apply to grad school.

Thanks for the extensive list of the materials you used.

Thanks Yenisei! That definitely added to the challenge.

You are very welcome; I am so glad to know that you may already be able to use some of the resources I found!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
NAP Wrote:Thanks Yenisei! That definitely added to the challenge.

You are very welcome; I am so glad to know that you may already be able to use some of the resources I found!

Hi NAP,
I can't believe I just read this thread. Congrats on the score you got on the GRE. I am deathly affraid of it. I am also thinking of attempting a Masters degree with Texas A&M. But I'm going to get another Masters at AMU so I can get waived from taking the GRE which is required at A&M Big Grin
I'm looking at attempting the MS in Instructional Technology, completely online. We'll see how that goes.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
Hi Clep101!

Thanks for your message!

The GRE that I just took was a Subject GRE in Biochemistry for credit at EC. You’re right; I still have to take the General GRE (which is being revised) for the admission requirement. I will need a really high score on the math section. I hope to be ready to take that next summer. I didn’t know there was a way around that test, but a whole master’s degree would be a lot to add to my plans!

I agree that the graduate programs at Texas A&M look perfect, since they are unique and offered completely online.

Please keep us updated on your progress with all of this.

Will send you a PM, too.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

ALEKS Introduction to Statistics

Before starting ALEKS Introduction to Statistics, I had seen completion times of 40-70 hours; that range seems pretty accurate for many people.

I started by watching the "Against All Odds" videos (13 hours) at learner.org, which were enjoyable and put the topics into context.

After that, I started ALEKS above 30% and it took about 28 hours to reach 70%. Mostly, I worked through one pie slice at a time in the order ALEKS lists them on the “Course Products” page. It helped me to build on the same topic before starting a new one. I recommend taking really good notes on each type of problem. Since I am interested in Statistics as a career, I spent another 25 hours to work through as many of the rest of the topics as possible. I got to about 113 out of 116 topics before my subscription for the month ran out.

I also bought the Idiot's Guide book for additional reference.

The biggest thing that I learned is that I actually do like statistics. That is a relief!

Humanities CLEP

I studied a little over 3 weeks. I do not have a strong background or interest in the subjects covered. I do remember learning some of this in high school, and I enjoy watching PBS shows like Antiques Roadshow and History Detectives.

Thanks for recommending many great resources. There was practically unanimous approval for the IC flashcards and Peterson’s practice tests, but I did not have time to study those. (That is typically what I use in my fourth week of studying.)

I used these books, practice tests, and websites:

REA General Review book (with review/teaching material for each subject plus drills)
and SEPARATE REA Preparation book (with 3 practice tests) - http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...exams.html
(The drills were very difficult, since it was new material and not review, but the 3 practice tests were good.)

Peterson's CLEP Success free ebook has a timeline and 2 practice tests. These were very difficult, as always, but still had some useful information.

Study notes from the forum, which may have been made by Lubee

Humanities Study Guide - Humanities CLEP Free Study Guide - Free-Clep-Prep.com
Fine Art by Movement - Fine Art by Movement Posters at AllPosters.com - It is very helpful to see pictures of the types of work after having read descriptions of the different styles in REA. Be careful some “art” is really obscene.
History of Painting - History of painting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Musical Terms Glossary - Glossary of Musical Terms
Shakespeare characters and overviews - SparkNotes: Today's Most Popular Study Guides
List for Greek and Roman mythology - Greek and Roman Gods
Literary Terms review from A&I Lit- http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...#post75628
Circle of fifths explanation - The Circle of Fifths: A Brief History - For Dummies
Circle of fifths picture - Circle of fifths - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CLEP Official Study Guide - Practice test

The REA book was great for putting the subjects and various movements into context and organized by time. It helped a lot to get each person memorized by chronological order and particular movement. I tried to keep my studying pretty shallow (just the facts); the actual test went deeper, then shallower, then wider than I had studied and memorized, so it was hard to know how I was doing.

I got a 67 and now I am officially a Senior!

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Great thread, I had no idea you were documenting everything so thoroughly....that's awesome! I've got this bookmarked Smile

And congrats on now being a senior!

Goal: BSBA in CIS

1[SIZE=1]20
credits required, 33 to go!
Started testing 8/8/11

SOURCE
[/SIZE]([SIZE=1]CREDITS)
Navy Nuclear Field
[/SIZE]([SIZE=1]34) - Various Credits/Classes
[/SIZE]
CLEP (39)
US History I (70) - 8/8/11 | US History II (67) - 8/22/11 | A&I Literature (70) - 9/22/11 | College Comp (61) - 9/26/11 | Macroeconomics (71) - 10/12/11 | Microeconomics (58) - 10/12/11 | Principles of Management (64) - 11/10/11 | Information Sys & Comp Apps (67) - 11/10/11
| Marketing (69) - 3/19/12 | Sociology (58) - 3/19/12 | Business Law (69) - 3/4/1[SIZE=1]3[/SIZE]

DSST (15)
Money & Banking (70) - 10/27/11
Statistics (466) - 01/30/12
HRM (63) -
03/06/12
Org Beha[SIZE=1]vor (55) - 04/03/12[/SIZE]
[SIZE=1]Busines[SIZE=1]s E[SIZE=1]thics & Soc [/SIZE][/SIZE](447) - 03/19/13[/SIZE]

Next up: 30 days of Straighter[SIZE=1]line for Accounting I[SIZE=1], Accounting
II & Business Communication[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
keithk Wrote:Great thread, I had no idea you were documenting everything so thoroughly....that's awesome! I've got this bookmarked Smile

And congrats on now being a senior!

Thanks for the note! I am really enjoying being a senior! Wow - I am a "favorite"; that is cool! I hope the information I am sharing will be helpful to you and many others.

Since the GRE policy change, I have been thinking a lot about how to change my degree plan. I don't know if I will post my ideas here or start a new thread. When I know more, I'll be sure to post an update.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

Both of these exams required the least amount of study that I have ever tried. They are very straightforward exams (mainly fact-based), so don’t over-think them. It only took me 30 minutes(!) to answer the questions for both exams; usually I need the full amount of time.

For Substance Abuse exam, I only studied for 7 days over a 2 week period. My score was 471.

Thanks for always suggesting great resources. Here is what I used to study:

Peterson’s Official Guide to Mastering DSST Exams ebook – teaching and 2 practice tests
IC flashcards
Rubbersoul’s notes - thank you!
Drugs of Abuse - chart
Glossary
Drugs, Society, and Human Behavior - textbook site for chapter summaries, quizzes, and flashcards
Controlled substances drug schedules
Official DSST practice test and fact sheet quiz

For Health exam, I only studied for 5 days. I do have a strong background in this subject. It is a major part of our every day society. It also helped a lot to study for Substance Abuse DSST first, so I didn’t have to restudy for that topic at all. My score was 479.

I really would have liked something to read to give a general overview and some depth, but I guess I didn’t need it. Here is what I used to study:

IC audio and notes
Quizzes and glossaries - Core Concepts in Health Brief*|*Learning Objectives
Official DSST practice test and fact sheet quiz

I am so happy to have 6 more UL credits done!

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

The college i attend will only accept 30 credits from exams. Is there a way to earn an AA without going through a school?
joanaday Wrote:The college i attend will only accept 30 credits from exams. Is there a way to earn an AA without going through a school?

An Associate Degree represents a 2-year college degree earned through an accredited college/university. Each college/university sets their own policies for the amount of credit-by-exam and transferred credits that will be allowed within their degrees. 30 credits through exams is pretty generous, especially if it is for a traditional college program. The Big 3 offer degrees for which almost all of the degree credits can be earned through exams. Just note that is it very easy to transfer into the Big 3, but once you start to use the generous and flexible policies, it can be very difficult (without a lot of pre-planning) to transfer out of the Big 3 successfully, if needed, to a more traditional program. Overall, it is important to follow the policies at the college/university from which you intend to graduate. For instance, if you pursue a bachelor's degree, the first 60 credits (which may or may not be part of an associate degree) will have to meet the policies for the whole 120-credit degree. Also, if you plan to attend graduate school, make sure to check and follow their requirements and prerequisites for admission.

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*

I am just getting started--- can you explain what a Depth is....I was putting my plan together and I am thinking it is a area like:
Social Science/History or Humanities. If it is I was thinking I could satisfy my Gen Ed requirements and get the Depths done simultaneously.

So that this will work to satisfy the depth requirement and Gen Ed for the BALS........do you think it may?

Humanities 9 Required for GEN ED/12 Earned For Depth (3 Credits are Required in Art, Music and Philosophy)
6 LL- Analyzing & Interpreting Lit/CLEP
6 LL- Humanities/CLEP
3 UL- Ethics In America/DSST

15 Credits Earned

Social Science History 9 Required for GEN ED/12 Earned for Depth
3 LL- Introduction to Law Enforcement/DSST/Score: 63
3 LL- US History II/CLEP/Score:71/80
3 UL- Criminal Justice/DSST
3 UL- Civil War & Reconstruction/DSST

12 Credits Earned

I started at another school and I am thinking of just taking exams, transferring into EC and finishing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,224 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,870 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,356 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,681 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,888 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,784 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,024 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,336 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,695 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero