Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Degree Plan/Accurate Costing - TESU
Please help with a TESU BALS degree plan and confirmation of the cost estimate below. Due to space for posting, I am attaching the TESU evaluation to this thread.

Application fee                 $75
Residency fee (non NJ)     $2,500
Capstone Course(non NJ)  $1,497
Grad Fee                         $332
Tech Services Fee            $117
TECEP Exam (5)              $225
CLEP Study Guide (18)     $450
ALEKS - Math ($20 x 20)  $40
Total                               $5,236

Attached Files
.docx   Thomas Edison State University Estimated Costs.docx (Size: 15.73 KB / Downloads: 7)
(06-27-2019, 12:14 AM)EducationSeeker Wrote: Please help with a TESU BALS degree plan and confirmation of the cost estimate below. Due to space for posting, I am attaching the TESU evaluation to this thread.

Residency fee (non NJ)     $2,500
Capstone Course(non NJ)  $1,497
Grad Fee                         $332
Tech Services Fee            $117
TECEP Exam (5)              $225
CLEP Study Guide (18)     $450
ALEKS - Math ($20 x 20)  $40
Total                               $5,236

You forgot about the sos-110 which would be another 1,497.
TECEPS are not required at all for a TESU degree. Although if you're looking to take your time finishing (which could be a factor if cost is an issue) then taking one a year keeps you enrolled and locked into your catalog.  Another perk of being enrolled is that you can send in as many transcripts as you want as you earn credits (very helpful especially for NCCRS courses that you can't easily bank, like ACE courses).  So you can earn credit at a low cost via TECEP and remain an active student.  That is not an option with COSC or EC, which have fees associated for terms (which matters if you're looking to take a year or more to complete the degree - which many here do, or have done, one course at a time as time/$ allow to complete the degree)

CLEPs can be completed for free through Modern States (https://modernstates.org/)

ALEKS is just $20 per month, not per course - if you've got math skills you could finish 3 course (9 credits) in one $20 term.

I don't recall paying a Tech Fee - I just remember paying for the course(s) and graduation.

The course fees (at least currently) are $379 per credit (3 credit courses $ 1137 not $1497) with Study.com discount rate for 2019/2020

Residency waiver fee just went up to $2800 for everyone the 2019/2020 year - Graduation fee just dropped to $298
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

TESU

399 NJ
509 out of state 

Per credit rate as of june 2019
Nevermind Nevermind
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(06-27-2019, 10:46 AM)allvia Wrote: TECEPS are not required at all for a TESU degree. Although if you're looking to take your time finishing (which could be a factor if cost is an issue) then taking one a year keeps you enrolled and locked into your catalog.  Another perk of being enrolled is that you can send in as many transcripts as you want as you earn credits (very helpful especially for NCCRS courses that you can't easily bank, like ACE courses).  So you can earn credit at a low cost via TECEP and remain an active student.  That is not an option with COSC or EC, which have fees associated for terms (which matters if you're looking to take a year or more to complete the degree - which many here do, or have done, one course at a time as time/$ allow to complete the degree)

CLEPs can be completed for free through Modern States (https://modernstates.org/)

ALEKS is just $20 per month, not per course - if you've got math skills you could finish 3 course (9 credits) in one $20 term.

I don't recall paying a Tech Fee - I just remember paying for the course(s) and graduation.

The course fees (at least currently) are $379 per credit (3 credit courses $ 1137 not $1497) with Study.com discount rate for 2019/2020

Residency waiver fee just went up to $2800 for everyone the 2019/2020 year - Graduation fee just dropped to $298

Thanks for the feedback.  Per Allvia's and Natshar's feedback, I revised my pricing below. I could likely get free or cheaper CLEP test books and probably she could do ALEKS in 1 month. Does the pricing look right?

Questions:

My wife is not good at Math so I factored 2 months of testing if needed for ALEKS. It is pretty cheap at $20 a month worst case scenario. How do you get away with not paying a tech fee?

Do you have to take SOS Critical Information Literacy at TESU or will the Davar Eng. 103 be accepted? Davar states it will be accepted?

How can do I get the Study.com discount?

Residency fee (non NJ)     $2,800
Capstone Course(non NJ)  $1,137 (with Study.com discount)
SOS 110 Crit info Lit.        $105 (Davar.com lists as ENG103 as acceptable alternative)
Grad Fee                         $298
Study.com Exam (15)       $600 (5 UL classes on Study.com with 2 exams per mo)
CLEP Study Guide (18)     $450 ($25 per guide)
ALEKS - Math ($20 x 20)  $40 (based on likely 2 months needed)
Total:                             $5,505
You can't transfer in SOS-110 from anywhere else.

Read this thread for updated costs.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-2019-2020

But a TESU degree will cost a minimum of 6k more likely close to 10k.
(06-27-2019, 04:58 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 10:46 AM)allvia Wrote: TECEPS are not required at all for a TESU degree. Although if you're looking to take your time finishing (which could be a factor if cost is an issue) then taking one a year keeps you enrolled and locked into your catalog.  Another perk of being enrolled is that you can send in as many transcripts as you want as you earn credits (very helpful especially for NCCRS courses that you can't easily bank, like ACE courses).  So you can earn credit at a low cost via TECEP and remain an active student.  That is not an option with COSC or EC, which have fees associated for terms (which matters if you're looking to take a year or more to complete the degree - which many here do, or have done, one course at a time as time/$ allow to complete the degree)

Thanks for the feedback.  Per Allvia's and Natshar's feedback, I revised my pricing below. I could likely get free or cheaper CLEP test books and probably she could do ALEKS in 1 month. Does the pricing look right?

Questions:

My wife is not good at Math so I factored 2 months of testing if needed for ALEKS. It is pretty cheap at $20 a month worst case scenario. How do you get away with not paying a tech fee?

Do you have to take SOS Critical Information Literacy at TESU or will the Davar Eng. 103 be accepted? Davar states it will be accepted?

SOS 110 Crit info Lit.        $105 (Davar.com lists as ENG103 as acceptable alternative)

TESU changed their Info LIt requirement (no longer exists) and now there's just a cornerstone.  They also changed their tuition and fees pricing in the last day or two.

Residency waiver             $2,800
Cornerstone                    $1,137 (with Study.com discount)
Capstone                        $1,137 (with Study.com discount)
Grad Fee                           $298
Study.com Exam                 $600 (5 UL classes on Study.com with 2 exams per mo)
Total:                             $6,022

I removed ALEKS, as you don't know if you'll need it (you're already paying for Study.com anyway).  You can learn the info on Khan for free, then take an exam on Study.com during one of your paid months. I also removed the CLEP "guides" - there is 1 CLEP guide with all of the exams in it, you don't need 1 per exam.

You've already paid the application fee, so you don't need that on there anymore (sunk cost).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-27-2019, 08:52 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 04:58 PM)EducationSeeker Wrote:

Questions:

TESU changed their Info LIt requirement (no longer exists) and now there's just a cornerstone.  They also changed their tuition and fees pricing in the last day or two.

Residency waiver             $2,800
Cornerstone                    $1,137 (with Study.com discount)
Capstone                        $1,137 (with Study.com discount)
Grad Fee                           $298
Study.com Exam                 $600 (5 UL classes on Study.com with 2 exams per mo)
Total:                             $6,022

I removed ALEKS, as you don't know if you'll need it (you're already paying for Study.com anyway).  You can learn the info on Khan for free, then take an exam on Study.com during one of your paid months. I also removed the CLEP "guides" - there is 1 CLEP guide with all of the exams in it, you don't need 1 per exam.

You've already paid the application fee, so you don't need that on there anymore (sunk cost).
This is awesome and exactly what I was looking for!! Thanks much!

I am going to do the same kind of posting for EC and COSC. So far, I am seeing EC as cheapest. In addition to a BALS degree, we are also looking at WGU.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,463 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 483 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 772 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,180 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,706 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74
  Hypnotherapy + $30 course or $12,000 degree = Licensed "Medical" Profession nykorn 6 952 01-06-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: CenterSquarEd
  Advice Needed for School & Degree Plan diablo 8 618 01-04-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  TESU---Easy Courses and TECEPS midnite123 5 544 01-04-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az