Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan Advice - Can I finish in a year? Without starving to death?
For a New Jersey Resident, WGU is only a little cheaper than TESU. If you're set on completing a degree that requires several courses that do not have alternative options, then it makes a lot of sense to choose the Comprehensive Tuition Plan. The course load can be lightened by taking TECEPs and e-Packs. Taking 24 or more credits still makes it worth the $6300. This is particular attractive if you qualify for a full Pell Grant and state grants only offered to NJ residents.

You can save a few hundred dollars at WGU, but there is no guarantee you'll finish faster. Also, state grants won't be an option. Plus, at WGU, you have to complete all your transfer credits before you enroll. I'm not sure WGU is going to help you determine what will count toward your degree before you're an enrolled student.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
SolarKat Wrote:Actually, you *can* transfer it into the DA degree. (For the Stats.com certificate they'll transfer in up to 3 classes. For TESU, you can transfer in any intro stats, too, or even take the pricey TESU class instead of Stats.com.)

If I was going to get the DA degree, I would take the Statistics.com course, because it's considered (by them) to be Stats I & II. I would think it would be a more comprehensive course, and help with later courses. It doesn't do much good to take a foundational stats course that doesn't lay the foundation that you need later on.

So to clarify, my suggestion is to take a cheap stats course first, when you still haven't decided on which degree you're getting. THEN, if you decide on the DA degree, you should then take the Stats.com course to make sure your foundation for the degree is solid. Plus, it's already paid for if you choose their plan with TESU - all of the courses are covered, and factored into the cost, which is discounted from taking them all separately.

But obviously, the OP can do whatever they want to do. It's just my suggestion, and I'm certainly not an expert.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
dfrecore Wrote:If I was going to get the DA degree, I would take the Statistics.com course, because it's considered (by them) to be Stats I & II. I would think it would be a more comprehensive course, and help with later courses. It doesn't do much good to take a foundational stats course that doesn't lay the foundation that you need later on.

So to clarify, my suggestion is to take a cheap stats course first, when you still haven't decided on which degree you're getting. THEN, if you decide on the DA degree, you should then take the Stats.com course to make sure your foundation for the degree is solid.
I'm actually in the degree program. The classes at Statistics.com, Statistics 1 & Statistics 2, are not separate credit-bearing classes. *Combined* they form Introduction to Statistics 1 & 2, which is a 3-credit class the equivalent of Saylor, Study.com, etc (see the ACE credit registry for the explanation). It doesn't get you any farther ahead credit-wise to take both, whether at TESU or elsewhere. (In fact you must take both to get any credit at all.) The reason for the division: their Stats 1 is essentially Descriptive Stats, and Stats 2 is Inferential Stats (similar to how Udacity has separated the 2). Some non-degree folks only need one or the other.

This means that the intro class at Statistics.com is basically identical in material to any other intro class out there. The big difference is that Statistics.com teaches it as an applied course, with lots of exposure to statistical software and project-based learning. That's the main reason for a data student to take it with them, they'll need the advanced software skills. However, they are welcomed to transfer in *any* intro stats class for the TESU degree...they'll just need to be sure to do independent study with the software, because proficiency becomes important farther into the degree.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,224 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  Transfer Credit towards degree @ TESU Supermind 2 2,869 09-14-2018, 03:30 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,354 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  Associates degree in Business - Options? allen3373 9 2,681 09-04-2018, 02:57 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,888 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,780 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  Has anyone been overlooked for a degree Crt 21 5,023 08-29-2018, 12:06 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 1,971 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,332 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,694 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero