Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan Help, Please
Hello, all.  I’ve gained a lot of insight from this group, and told my husband about it.  He handed me his transcripts just now and requested that I post his classes here to see how close he might be to a BS or BA.  Mostly due to cost, he’s looked at the general studies with information systems concentration through COSC, but is unsure of how things will transfer (I’m no help as I went the traditional route). He doesn’t really care what area of study, though, even a BALS/BSLS would work (he works in IT and likes that and business).    All of his credits and his AAS Information Systems Network Admin/Support are from two community colleges.  He’s worried about the age of his credits since some are from the 90s (pre-kids), but the rest are from 2005-2007.  Any help you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated! 

1990s Credits:

1 – ACA 111 College Student Success
2 – CIS 110 Intro to Computers
2 – CIS 115 Intro to Program and Logic
2 – CIS 130 Survey of Operating Systems
2 – CIS 165 Desktop Publishing 1
3 – CIS 174 Network System Manager 1
3 – CIS 175 Network Management 1
3 – CIS 217 Computer Train and Support
2 – CSC 138 RPG Programming
3 – ENG 111 Expository Writing
3 – ENG 114 Prof Research and Reporting
2 – MAT 140 Survey of Math
3 – REL 112 Western Religions
3 – CET 111 Computer Upgrade/Repair 1
3 – CIS 120 Spreadsheet
3 – CIS 147 Operating Systems Windows
3 – PSY 150 General Psych

2005-2007 Credits:

3 – BUS 151 People Skills
3 – Network System Manager 2
3 – MAT 145 Analytical Math
3 – NET 110 Data Communications and Networking
3 – CIS 282 Network Technology
3 – CIS 287 Network Support
3 – ITN 240 Internet Security
3 – NET 125 Network Basics
3 – CIS 125 PC Diagnostics/Configuration
3 – CIS 275 Network Management 2
3 – NET 126 Routing Basics
3 – CIS 235 Adv. PC Diagnostics/Configuration
3 – DBA 110 Database Concepts
3 – NET 280 Networking Project
3 – SEC 110 Security Concepts

Certification:

*CompTIA Net+ Certification
With all those RA credits, a Charter Oak BA in General Studies would almost certainly be the most affordable. A bachelor's in cybersecurity from COSC might also be possible (I don't know if that can be fully tested out of or not). However, I would not discount a BA computer science from TESU either.

As far as I'm aware, with CS credits that old, the best you can hope for is to use them as electives and not in the AOS. I would suggest that if he's interested, he start going through Sophia courses. Those GE credits are going to be needed whether he winds up at TESU or COSC. Check https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List for courses that are accepted at both so he can prioritize those.

He would also need science with a lab if he goes with COSC. Thankfully, Tel Learning can provide this for $267: https://www.tellearning.org/courses-on-demand/

Once he finishes with the Sophia courses that don't overlap with his RA credits (for instance, he shouldn't need psychology but it'd be a good idea to take algebra just in case), apply to both COSC and TESU to see which one is more generous with accepting his credits.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • CatsDomino
(09-26-2020, 11:50 AM)rachel83az Wrote: With all those RA credits, a Charter Oak BA in General Studies would almost certainly be the most affordable. A bachelor's in cybersecurity from COSC might also be possible (I don't know if that can be fully tested out of or not). However, I would not discount a BA computer science from TESU either.

As far as I'm aware, with CS credits that old, the best you can hope for is to use them as electives and not in the AOS. I would suggest that if he's interested, he start going through Sophia courses. Those GE credits are going to be needed whether he winds up at TESU or COSC. Check https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/So...lency_List for courses that are accepted at both so he can prioritize those.

He would also need science with a lab if he goes with COSC. Thankfully, Tel Learning can provide this for $267: https://www.tellearning.org/courses-on-demand/

Once he finishes with the Sophia courses that don't overlap with his RA credits (for instance, he shouldn't need psychology but it'd be a good idea to take algebra just in case), apply to both COSC and TESU to see which one is more generous with accepting his credits.
Thank you!  That is incredibly helpful.  With winter approaching, maybe he won't be getting as much overtime at work and can get started.
For his science w/Lab he can do Study.com (SDC) Bio I w/lab cheaper than the TelLeanrning and he'd likely need SDC anyway for missing UL credits. Keep in mind that he will need to plan carefully as COSC has far more UL requirements than TESU (not saying don't choose COSC, saying plan accordingly); your husband wants to make the most of those credits he already has - they are all LL. Here is the post about making the most of Sophia at COSC - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...es-at-COSC

The age of his credits shouldn't be an issue if not used in the AOS - such as a BS/BA in CS (tech credits tend to loose AOS value after 10 years, but remain good for gen eds/electives)
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • CatsDomino
(09-26-2020, 01:35 PM)allvia Wrote: For his science w/Lab he can do Study.com (SDC) Bio I w/lab cheaper than the TelLeanrning and he'd likely need SDC anyway for missing UL credits. Keep in mind that he will need to plan carefully as COSC has far more UL requirements than TESU (not saying don't choose COSC, saying plan accordingly); your husband wants to make the most of those credits he already has - they are all LL. Here is the post about making the most of Sophia at COSC - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...es-at-COSC

The age of his credits shouldn't be an issue if not used in the AOS - such as a BS/BA in CS (tech credits tend to loose AOS value after 10 years, but remain good for gen eds/electives)

Thank you for this suggesting SDC and for the link.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CatsDomino's post:
  • allvia
Just saw this while being nosy..... since we were talking about FSU, did you know that they accept a lot of Saylor, Straighterline, etc?
(10-28-2020, 07:20 PM)blerdstheword Wrote: Just saw this while being nosy..... since we were talking about FSU, did you know that they accept a lot of Saylor, Straighterline, etc?

Yes, I'm familiar with the alternative credit courses at FSU, and mentioned it to him.  He wants to accelerate and complete his bachelor's degree more quickly than he would be able to do so at FSU.  I'm the opposite and need the structure of a regular semester.
At TESU, the age of computer-related courses only matters in the BSIT or BS in Cybersecurity - it doesn't matter in the BACS. BUT, he does not have all of the UL math that's required, so I'm guessing he doesn't want a BA in CompSci?

At TESU, if he just wants a BALS, and to bring in as many credits as possible, and get the rest quickly, that's an option. He might think about a BALS w/Concentration in CompSci, and/or a BALS w/Certificate in CIS. Both are totally doable through alternative credit. He'll be allowed 27cr of Free Electives (so non-liberal arts). I'd apply for that and see how they bring in everything.

At COSC and EC, he has the option to get a BSLA/BSLS and bring in up to 60cr of non-liberal arts. But at COSC he will have to choose a concentration (and I'm not sure that's what he'd want to do); but I think EC was getting rid of that option, and allowing you to get an optional Area of Focus. So that's a possibility if he can get enough UL credits to bring in there, or take there.

I'd apply at COSC and see if they will take the old IT credits and let you use those for a concentration. If not, nothing lost.

I'd also apply at EC, and ask the same question, about an Area of Focus. Make sure that you don't have to have 2 breadth's any longer (they said they were getting rid of it).

We can help with the GE's for all 3 schools - especially if he wants to do Sophia. Those are easy, and I already have charts on how to use Sophia for GE's at all 3 schools.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-31-2020, 06:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote: At TESU, the age of computer-related courses only matters in the BSIT or BS in Cybersecurity - it doesn't matter in the BACS.  BUT, he does not have all of the UL math that's required, so I'm guessing he doesn't want a BA in CompSci?

At TESU, if he just wants a BALS, and to bring in as many credits as possible, and get the rest quickly, that's an option.  He might think about a BALS w/Concentration in CompSci, and/or a BALS w/Certificate in CIS.  Both are totally doable through alternative credit.  He'll be allowed 27cr of Free Electives (so non-liberal arts).  I'd apply for that and see how they bring in everything.

At COSC and EC, he has the option to get a BSLA/BSLS and bring in up to 60cr of non-liberal arts.  But at COSC he will have to choose a concentration (and I'm not sure that's what he'd want to do); but I think EC was getting rid of that option, and allowing you to get an optional Area of Focus.  So that's a possibility if he can get enough UL credits to bring in there, or take there.

I'd apply at COSC and see if they will take the old IT credits and let you use those for a concentration. If not, nothing lost.

I'd also apply at EC, and ask the same question, about an Area of Focus.  Make sure that you don't have to have 2 breadth's any longer (they said they were getting rid of it).

We can help with the GE's for all 3 schools - especially if he wants to do Sophia.  Those are easy, and I already have charts on how to use Sophia for GE's at all 3 schools.

Wow!  Thank you so much!  He's pretty interested in COSC, I think.  Do you have a link to the charts for using Sophia for the GEs?  I really appreciate it!
(10-31-2020, 07:12 PM)CatsDomino Wrote:
(10-31-2020, 06:48 PM)dfrecore Wrote: At TESU, the age of computer-related courses only matters in the BSIT or BS in Cybersecurity - it doesn't matter in the BACS.  BUT, he does not have all of the UL math that's required, so I'm guessing he doesn't want a BA in CompSci?

At TESU, if he just wants a BALS, and to bring in as many credits as possible, and get the rest quickly, that's an option.  He might think about a BALS w/Concentration in CompSci, and/or a BALS w/Certificate in CIS.  Both are totally doable through alternative credit.  He'll be allowed 27cr of Free Electives (so non-liberal arts).  I'd apply for that and see how they bring in everything.

At COSC and EC, he has the option to get a BSLA/BSLS and bring in up to 60cr of non-liberal arts.  But at COSC he will have to choose a concentration (and I'm not sure that's what he'd want to do); but I think EC was getting rid of that option, and allowing you to get an optional Area of Focus.  So that's a possibility if he can get enough UL credits to bring in there, or take there.

I'd also apply at EC, and ask the same question, about an Area of Focus.  Make sure that you don't have to have 2 breadth's any longer (they said they were getting rid of it).

We can help with the GE's for all 3 schools - especially if he wants to do Sophia.  Those are easy, and I already have charts on how to use Sophia for GE's at all 3 schools.

Wow!  Thank you so much!  He's pretty interested in COSC, I think.  Do you have a link to the charts for using Sophia for the GEs?  I really appreciate it!

Honestly, I'd apply at all 3.  If COSC is your first choice, you are going to have to really question the concentration, because if you HAVE to choose one in a non-liberal arts area, it may be a bad choice.  At least with TESU, you can choose not to have a concentration - COSC doesn't give you that option, and at least a portion has to be in a non-liberal arts area.

Here's the GE through Sophia:

MAXIMIZING SOPHIA COURSES AT COSC

WRITTEN COMMUNICATION
English Comp I
English Comp II

ORAL COMMUNICATION
Public Speaking

ETHICAL DECISION-MAKING
Intro to Ethics

US HISTORY/GOVERNMENT
US History I

US History II

GLOBAL UNDERSTANDING and NON-US HISTORY OR CULTURE
Religion

Ancient Greek Philosophers (maybe)

LITERATURE & FINE ARTS
Art History I

Art History II
Visual Communication

SOCIAL/BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE
Psychology

Sociology
Microeconomics
Macroeconomics

MATHEMATICS
College Algebra or Statistics

NATURAL SCIENCES W/O LAB
Environmental Science
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 1 64 11 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,653 Yesterday, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 177 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,524 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 576 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 196 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 618 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,070 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 237 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 244 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az