Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan TESU BSBA in Accounting
I’m not an accountant. But I’d say get the undergrad as fast as you can through the cheapest and simplest means. Then Get into masters. From what I’ve seen you’re not going to learn anymore sitting in a classroom or an online lecture. Maybe more access to tutors and a professor. You can find tutors, also how much one on one time do professors give you anyways or how much time would you pursue ? Just get er done. Then figure out what you need more exposure to and go get it. Then get into masters.
(04-16-2021, 09:34 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 08:49 AM)Flelm Wrote: AP Tests: I'm not sure where you got the information about using only 3. TESU will treat the AP tests as other alternative credit: It counts towards your maximum 90 credit allowable limit. So, assuming you got at least 3s, you'll have:

6 credits of World History (HIS 121/122)
6 credits of US History (HIS 113/114)
8 credits of Physics with Lab (PHY 115/116)
3 credits of Calculus (MAT-231)

This will cover your Knowledge of Human Cultures, Physical/Natural World, Quantitative Analysis, and put some extra credits into your GE Electives.

Yes, not sure where the idea came from of limits, but this is all correct (except that you'll actually get 4cr for calc). So 24cr of AP is awesome, and you'll want to use every bit of those.

Don't do US History I & II through Sophia, those are duplicate.  You'll also need to remove some other courses, since you'll have too many GE credits.

Definitely do the 3 math TECEP exams, those should be very easy for you.

You might also want to consider MTH 117 - Finite Math through ONU since it's a self-paced course, will count as RA credit, and only costs $150 (you'll have to wait until after graduation, since they don't allow high schoolers to take courses).

Last - you might want to consider taking all of your accounting courses via Study.com (or Sophia and Study combo) as planned, and then doing a term of e-Pack courses at TESU to get 15cr - do the cornerstone via regular online (no other option), then e-Pack Am Govt, Computers (business core), Stats, and then maybe do an additional UL accounting course via online.  Then, the capstone is your final course, which you can pay $1200 for, and you've avoided the Residency Waiver.

Just some thoughts.

Thanks dfrecore. You and everyone here has given me so much value. There’s things I realize now to my embarrassment Blush I had no clue about (residency waiver) as well as the things I clearly got wrong. I’ll revise my plan significantly based on this. I have no idea how all of you learned so much stuff!

(04-17-2021, 07:59 AM)Pats20 Wrote: I’m not an accountant. But I’d say get the undergrad as fast as you can through the cheapest and simplest means. Then  Get into masters. From what I’ve seen you’re not going to learn anymore sitting in a classroom or an online lecture.  Maybe more access to tutors and a professor. You can find tutors, also how much one on one time do professors give you anyways or how much time would you pursue ? Just get er done. Then figure out what you need more exposure to and go get it. Then get into masters.

Thanks Pats20, that’s one thing that I’m also thinking about.
(04-16-2021, 09:59 PM)freeloader Wrote:
(04-16-2021, 09:26 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: To learn more for CPA, u r better to go for prep courses such Wiley,  Rogers and so on. They r built around CPA requirements for that particular year u r taking exam. I dont see point of going for classes which u have to do tons of work in particular schedules and stress out for grades. If it can be replaced by SDC and few additional self paced courses. U r better getting ur degree faster and focus on good Quality CPA review courses 
Also it will be probably self teaching like maths courses at TESU. So rather spend this effort on the curriculum which covers CPA exams
Just curious: do you plan to work as an accountant before sitting for the CPA exam?  If so, don’t you think it would be a good idea to understand accounting?  When you go for a job interview and they throw some moderately hard accounting questions (challenging, but reasonable for somebody who did well in an accounting undergrad program), would you like to actually be able to answer them?  

I am sure you have seen this: accounting is the language of business. It is a lot like a foreign language. Foreign languages take time to lean.  So does accounting. One subject builds on the last.  Maybe you are super clever and can pass some tests with ACE providers and then cram everything you need with a CPA review course, but maybe not.  I love the Prof Farhat videos. He says on many occasions that CPA review courses do not teach you accounting. I don’t know if that’s true or not, but he probably has a better sense than you or I do. 

Let me put this one other way: most people who take the CPA exam, which is 4 tests, are also working full time as an accountant or something closely related. Assuming you do that, you expect to work 40 (or more, sometime a lot more) hours a week, learn 4 years worth of general accounting content, plus the specific stuff for the CPA exam, and take the tests?  Again, maybe you can, but I wouldn’t want to even try.
Many people have no background in Accounting,  use online courses as SDC, use CPA review courses and pass first time CPA. So to ur point, u can learn and pass CPA first time this way. To add, this courses include support (tutoring),  online live classes and many more features. Which will benefit u more than online self tought University courses in Accounting.
You will do a lot of hard work with this courses. Dont think that u just run through and done. Noone said its easy.
But at the end its ur choice, u want go through online University courses  , do that
I find it difficult to believe that a 98th percentile SAT score couldn't be turned into a really nice scholarship at a good bricks-and-mortar college somewhere. You made a really big u-turn from wanting to go to an Ivy League school to TESU. I know that things are crazy right now, but I would think this choice through for a bit. There really is still value in a bricks-and-mortar school, especially for a young person with high test scores, etc.
(04-18-2021, 08:05 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I find it difficult to believe that a 98th percentile SAT score couldn't be turned into a really nice scholarship at a good bricks-and-mortar college somewhere.  You made a really big u-turn from wanting to go to an Ivy League school to TESU.  I know that things are crazy right now, but I would think this choice through for a bit.  There really is still value in a bricks-and-mortar school, especially for a young person with high test scores, etc.

I agree. Are you really saying you didn't get ANY scholarships to any schools? I find that hard to believe. Where I live, most schools give automatic merit-based scholarships to anyone who gets in but it depends on your grades. I was under the assumption this is common practice in most public schools across the country. 

Many state's schools have something called "Presidential Scholarship" (or they might be called something different depending on the school) which is basically a full ride. The key is if you apply to these are lower-tier schools than you would normally go to you could get it. Check around for these.

My thoughts (and feel free to disagree):

At your age, I am not sure what the value of getting a whole degree in one year is. Why not use CLEP/DSST and maybe cheap CC/ASU EA to speed things up and then go to a state school? Then go to a decent state school you could either graduate a year or two early or double major. Get some experience first, meet people, gain connections, etc.

In my opinion, getting a bachelor's from a state school in 2-3 years with experiences, connections, networking and social opportunities etc. will probably get your further in the long run than a fast churned online degree with no experience or connections at your age.
I Would think u get more connections, experience and networking by having a job for 2 years than sitting on the bench at b&m university. Also u get income 2 years while being full time student doesnt offer that.
(04-18-2021, 10:05 PM)natshar Wrote:
(04-18-2021, 08:05 PM)eriehiker Wrote: I find it difficult to believe that a 98th percentile SAT score couldn't be turned into a really nice scholarship at a good bricks-and-mortar college somewhere.  You made a really big u-turn from wanting to go to an Ivy League school to TESU.  I know that things are crazy right now, but I would think this choice through for a bit.  There really is still value in a bricks-and-mortar school, especially for a young person with high test scores, etc.

I agree. Are you really saying you didn't get ANY scholarships to any schools? I find that hard to believe. Where I live, most schools give automatic merit-based scholarships to anyone who gets in but it depends on your grades. I was under the assumption this is common practice in most public schools across the country. 

Many state's schools have something called "Presidential Scholarship" (or they might be called something different depending on the school) which is basically a full ride. The key is if you apply to these are lower-tier schools than you would normally go to you could get it. Check around for these.

My thoughts (and feel free to disagree):

At your age, I am not sure what the value of getting a whole degree in one year is. Why not use CLEP/DSST and maybe cheap CC/ASU EA to speed things up and then go to a state school? Then go to a decent state school you could either graduate a year or two early or double major. Get some experience first, meet people, gain connections, etc.

In my opinion, getting a bachelor's from a state school in 2-3 years with experiences, connections, networking and social opportunities etc. will probably get your further in the long run than a fast churned online degree with no experience or connections at your age.

@natshar and @eriehiker

I did get a merit award at one of my in-state schools, but it was really minor. Even tried bouncing that off the other school, but they weren't interested.  The social opportunities and connections thing is definitely an issue that I'm going to miss out on. Especially in my state (NJ) which is really closely connected to NYC with internships etc. But at the end of the day, I just don't want to leave college with $150K in loans. It might work out, but it might not either and then I'd be saddled with the debt. I've looked at it in terms of opportunity cost and sort of made a decision based on that.
U can rather go for Masters at b&m. U will definitely benefit more than getting Bachelor at b&m.
(04-18-2021, 11:18 PM)Cofffeee Wrote: I Would think u get more connections, experience and networking by having a job for 2 years than sitting on the bench at b&m university. Also u get income 2 years while being full time student doesnt offer that.

@Cofffeee

100% I'm hoping for that. No guarantees with either college or the path I'm going. I appreciate that. But one thing for sure, 4 years from now I won't have $150K college debt hanging over me. Could I still regret that? Sure, its a risk I'll have to live with.
I think have Bachelor without debt, getting income & experience & networking for 4 years is a winner for me in this conversation.
U can always go for Masters at b& m later, if u realy want this experience. Also it will be cheaper than getting 4 year Bachelor at b&m.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cofffeee's post:
  • thecontrarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 580 9 hours ago
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 34 2,142 10 hours ago
Last Post: ASenna
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 1,894 Today, 12:31 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 184 Yesterday, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 190 Yesterday, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,102 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 182 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 4 522 04-16-2024, 07:20 AM
Last Post: Mems88
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 43 4,289 04-15-2024, 09:45 AM
  Advice on degree options juliakeller2011 3 170 04-09-2024, 11:25 PM