Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Plan for BS in Information Technology
(02-05-2019, 09:49 PM)Zataralos Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 10:00 AM)BadBradsBBQ Wrote: Thank you MNomadic, I have updated my degree plan to reflect the changes you recommended. I had no idea about that OD course, I was actually looking specifically for a python course like that!

I'm trying to decipher the sources in your plan Smile

SL - StraightLiner
SDC - ???
OD - ???
CC - county college?

Thanks

SDC = study.com
Od = onlinedegree.com
Cc = community college
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(02-05-2019, 09:49 PM)Zataralos Wrote:
(12-04-2018, 10:00 AM)BadBradsBBQ Wrote: Thank you MNomadic, I have updated my degree plan to reflect the changes you recommended. I had no idea about that OD course, I was actually looking specifically for a python course like that!

I'm trying to decipher the sources in your plan Smile

SL - StraightLiner
SDC - ???
OD - ???
CC - county college?

Thanks

FYI, SL = StraighterLine, not StraightLiner. As in "a straighter line to your degree".

I find it interesting that so many people see it as StraightLiner, but I'm not sure why... it doesn't seem intuitive to me.

MNomatic defined the rest for you, so no reason to repeat them.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
TESU change the AO of the BSIT with other courses requirements

https://www.tesu.edu/ast/programs/bs/it 

ITS-261: Linux(3)
ITS-340: Wireless and Mobile Networking(3)
ITS-363: Windows Server Configuration(3)

CYB-450: Cloud Computing (3)

In progress:
TESU - ASNSM ASBA, UNIR- Master Cyber Security
Completed:
TESU - BA Computer Science
<gasp> OMG, they did make changes! Oh wells, it's not that test out friendly anyways... BSBA CIS and a few certs IT, plus experience, is the way to go!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
> BSBA CIS and a few certs IT, plus experience, is the way to go!

are you talking about this
BSBA in Computer Information Systems
https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/compu...on-systems

because if I wanted a degree in computer technology and wasn't going to do a Computer Science degree then these are the last courses I'd be interested in

Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting
Business Law
Principles of Management
Introduction to Marketing
Principles of Finance
Business in Society or International Management
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Business/Managerial Communications
Business Administration Capstone

11 wasted courses

I think TESU's Information Technology degree looks pretty awesome
its got some good requirements in the Area of Study and it gives you 15 credits of electives if you want some additional math or CS courses

the degree looks good by itself and with the right electives it would prepare you for entry into a MS in Computer Science program
Yes, they changed it a while ago, with no fanfare or notice of course. It's not at all test-out able any longer.

I think WGU or PurdueGlobal are your best options for an IT degree. Both accept lots of certs. PUG has a lot of space for electives left, so if you're coming in with more than a few credits, they're probably the better option.

(04-04-2021, 11:59 PM)bluebooger Wrote: > BSBA CIS and a few certs IT, plus experience, is the way to go!

are you talking about this            
BSBA in Computer Information Systems
https://www.tesu.edu/business/bsba/compu...on-systems

because if I wanted a degree in computer technology and wasn't going to do a Computer Science degree then these are the last courses I'd be interested in

Financial Accounting
Managerial Accounting
Business Law
Principles of Management
Introduction to Marketing
Principles of Finance
Business in Society or International Management
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Business/Managerial Communications
Business Administration Capstone

11 wasted courses              

I think TESU's Information Technology degree looks pretty awesome          
its got some good requirements in the Area of Study and it gives you 15 credits of electives if you want some additional math or CS courses              

the degree looks good by itself and with the right electives it would prepare you for entry into a MS in Computer Science program

If you don't want a business degree, I agree that an IT or CS degree is the better option.

For TESU's IT degree though, unless you're willing to pay a lot for those courses it's not a good option. But if you're looking to get a MS in CompSci, you're much better off with a BACS (which you can test out of) and then throw in some courses or certs as Free Electives.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-06-2021, 12:04 PM)dfrecore Wrote: For TESU's IT degree though, unless you're willing to pay a lot for those courses it's not a good option. But if you're looking to get a MS in CompSci, you're much better off with a BACS (which you can test out of) and then throw in some courses or certs as Free Electives.

how do you test out of a BACS at TESU                     
https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/computer-science

the only course I see under Area of Study that has an exam is Calculus 1 (UExcel or CLEP) and Introduction to Programming (UExcel Java exam) 

I wonder if the most difficult thing about the BSIT might be the 2 Science with Lab courses (which the CS degree does not require)

I also wonder how many of the study.com courses they would accept in the BSIT degree               

example: 
Computer Science 323: Wireless & Mobile Networking     
https://study.com/academy/course/compute...rking.html 
six virtual labs and a proctored final 

for the required 
ITS-340 Wireless and Mobile Networking
https://www2.tesu.edu/course.php?CourseCode=ITS-340&sem=
five written assignments, a proctored midterm, five discussion forums, and a final project
(04-06-2021, 02:02 PM)bluebooger Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 12:04 PM)dfrecore Wrote: For TESU's IT degree though, unless you're willing to pay a lot for those courses it's not a good option. But if you're looking to get a MS in CompSci, you're much better off with a BACS (which you can test out of) and then throw in some courses or certs as Free Electives.

the only course I see under Area of Study that has an exam is Calculus 1 (UExcel or CLEP) and Introduction to Programming (UExcel Java exam) 

I wonder if the most difficult thing about the BSIT might be the 2 Science with Lab courses (which the CS degree does not require)

I also wonder how many of the study.com courses they would accept in the BSIT degree               

example: 

for the required 
five written assignments, a proctored midterm, five discussion forums, and a final project

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...ience_Plan - SDC counts as testing out, as does Sophia.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-06-2021, 02:02 PM)bluebooger Wrote:

example: 

for the required 

TESU does not take those 2 courses from Study.com.  But the BACS degree is 95% fully-test-out-able using Study.com - they have all of the required courses, UL electives, and LL electives.  The only thing you have to do is take the Network Technology TECEP exam.

The BSIT was previously not able to be tested out of due to the science requirements (Chem I & II w/labs or Physics I & II w/labs), but the major was able to be completed on Study.com.  With the update, it's not able to work at all.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
> SDC counts as testing out

did not know that -- especially since some SDC courses require projects (or in this case virtual labs)

> TESU does not take those 2 courses from Study.com.

there's only one study.com course listed
the other is the TESU required course that I was hoping the study.com course could fulfill

weird that they would take so many study.com courses for the CS degree and so few for the IT degree

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,437 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 378 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  PUG has removed some master's degree programs from ExcelTrack RbxFunRocks 28 1,227 03-09-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: PositiveBelgae
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,217 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  Information Technology major with a concentration on game development purduestudent 13 1,052 02-28-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: walruspanda
  TESU BA psychology - need help with degree plan amleigh 17 935 12-16-2023, 09:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 15,495 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
  South Texas College CBE Construction, HVACR, & Electrician Technology Jonathan Whatley 2 423 12-09-2023, 05:25 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Accelerate Newlane degree with unaccredited degree? Pinko64 5 679 10-31-2023, 11:53 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  Illinois Institue of Technology - Coursera (Illinois Tech IIT) bext 1 870 07-12-2023, 02:35 AM